User Tag List

Page 243 of 263 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,430 of 2627

Thread: Summer Transfer Misery 2017/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger will be a happy bunny. He won't need to think up as many lies each window.

Premier League clubs have agreed for the summer transfer window to officially close before the season begins, starting in 2018.

In a Premier League statement released on Thursday, it has been confirmed that the window 'will end at 17:00 on the Thursday before the start of the season.'

The agreement applies solely to English top flight clubs, meaning players could still be sold between the Premier League's deadline and that of other countries.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ox hits the streets of Liverpool in his hi-visibility stab vest, armed with a handy sized car nicking toolkit.

Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was one of the few to see Yaya play for us at the then annual pre season warm up.

So Wenger can't blame his scouts on this miss. Yaya was right under his nose.

Kolo was good, but if we were going to end up with one Toure, you'd have hoped it was Yaya.

Just like when we could have ended up with Bale or Walnut.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall Quinn View Post
    I was one of the few to see Yaya play for us at the then annual pre season warm up.

Kolo was good, but if we were going to end up with one Toure, you'd have hoped it was Yaya.

You never know. Yaya could have ended up like Song or Bale like Walcott. Is he that bad at spotting talent or do we have a terrible youth development system and he can't coach for shit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Wenger's plan for recovery is to blame everyone and everything else.

Today he'll be most blaming Liverpool.

‘You are not naive enough to think that will not happen,’ Wenger said. ‘I don’t know (if it happened before the loss to Liverpool). I don’t know.

‘Have they been tapped up? Of course. But on the day of a game? I don’t think so, I hope not. But it’s inevitable.

‘France played against Holland on the last day of the transfer window. Do you really think that not one French player or Dutch player had phone calls in the afternoon about a move or not?

‘I am not naive enough to believe that. That’s why you have to scrap it before the season starts.’
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ‘Today in the Premier League, you have 107 players* who go to the final year of their contract.
    ‘In every club, part are players that the clubs do not want to extend, and part are players that the clubs want to extend but don’t agree for financial reasons. And we have both sides.

‘So at some stage that means you have to quantify the loss of income. And at the end of the day, you decide, “OK, we can do it for two or three, but not for four or five”.’
    Supports the reports about Kroenke not wanting to spend a penny of his own money, and we can assume he views the rising bank balance at Arsenal as "his own money". This transfer window gone is all the confirmation anyone could need to judge this ghoul.

* "You have 107 players" - imagine going away and working that out. So, so fucking sad. This is as sad as van Gaal's dossier. Wenger is as big a joke now.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think that's bad? Sounds like he’s finally realised that he’s been campaigning to pull up the drawbridge but had no idea he’s on the wrong side of the bridge.

Now he wants outside investment and ‘financial doping’. It's a ruling that does more to protect the status quo and make it much harder for clubs outside of that to compete.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...u-turn-arsenal

Disillusioned Arsène Wenger calls for end to FFP in major U-turn
    • Arsenal manager says rules on spending have become unenforceable
    • Wenger suggests financial limits will put off Chinese and US investors

Arsène Wenger has lost faith in one of his guiding principles and called for financial fair play to be scrapped. The Arsenal manager says clubs have found a way to bluff around Uefa’s regulations and it has effectively rendered them unenforceable. He feels that if the Premier League is to “remain the best league in the world” the decision must be taken to revert to no financial limits.

Wenger reflected on a wild summer transfer window in which he suggested that Liverpool had most likely tapped up Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain before taking him from Arsenal for an initial £35m on 31 August. Four days earlier, the midfielder had played for Arsenal in the club’s 4-0 defeat at Anfield. Wenger said he did not know whether Liverpool had spoken to Oxlade-Chamberlain in the hours leading up to kick-off. He hoped they had not.
    PSG accused of ‘peeing in the pool’ on FFP rules over Neymar’s £200m move
    Read more

Wenger did not make his comments in an angry or accusatory fashion; they were underpinned by realism. In short, tapping up is a part of the modern game. Everybody does it. But Wenger was less willing to shrug off what he sees as the holes in FFP.

He was asked whether he had a view on the complaint made to Uefa by the La Liga president, Javier Tebas, about the summer spending of Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City. PSG broke the world transfer record with their £198m purchase of Neymar from Barcelona while they took Kylian Mbappé from Monaco on a season‑long loan with an option to buy him for £166m. Uefa are investigating PSG but not City, who have threatened Tebas with legal action. Wenger did have a view and it was strident.

“Financial fair play raises new questions,” Wenger said. “I always did plead for it. Today, I am not convinced that we can maintain it. Football is maybe only at the start of a huge financial investment. It has become the most powerful sport in the world. It means do we have to open the door completely to investments? It is a question we have to raise because, aAt the moment, it looks like we have created rules that cannot be respected. There is nothing worse than when you create rules that are not respected.

“Maybe we are at the crossroads and we have to think, do we open it with complete freedom to investment for people like the Chinese and Americans, who want to invest here [in England]? If you want to remain the best league in the world, that is certainly the way we have to go.

“Do I want to get rid of financial pair play? I think so because there are too many legal ways to get around it. The question, at least, has to be raised. At the moment, it looks like you can buy clubs in China and get the players there, and buy them in other clubs, then get them, after, here. You can get around [FFP]. Am I convinced that, at the moment, the rules are strong enough to make it respected? I’m not sure.”
    How can PSG pay £200m for Neymar? What happened to financial fair play?
    Read more

Wenger’s remarks on tapping-up came as he explained why he was in favour of the summer transfer window closing before the start of the Premier League season. “You sit there before the games and in players’ minds, they have no clarity,” Wenger said. “Are they in? Are they out? Are they half in? Are they half out? Are they tapped up in the afternoon of the game by people who want to get them out?”

Wenger was asked whether any player in his dressing-room at Liverpool on the Sunday before last had been tapped up in advance of the game or on the day of it. It was clear that the question related to Oxlade-Chamberlain. “I don’t know,” Wenger replied.

Was it his suspicion? “Have they been tapped up?” Wenger said. “Of course. But on the day of a game? I don’t think so. I hope not. But it’s inevitable. France played against Holland on the last day of the transfer window. Do you really think that not one French player or Dutch player had phone-calls in the afternoon about do they move or not? You’re not naive enough to believe that.”

Wenger insisted that he did not regret starting with Oxlade-Chamberlain in the Liverpool game. “If I am a football player, I can perform even if Liverpool is in my head,” he said. “I don’t think that should stop you to perform. Did it? I think he was not worse than any other player on the football pitch.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is tapping up even still a thing?

There's nothing to stop players and agents talking to whoever they want, it's impossible to monitor. The old adage of a club needing to accept an offer first is long gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall Quinn View Post

There's lots we can throw at his right now, there's no need to re-write history.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    There's lots we can throw at his right now, there's no need to re-write history.
    There was a lot of fanfare over Yaya when he played at Barnet in a pre season friendly for us. Whilst I don't want to deconstruct his entire time as manager, I thought it was one of the strangest decisions he's ever made not to take up the option to sign him.

The only explanation I can think of is that he felt he didn't need him when he had Vieira. But still.