User Tag List

Page 52 of 263 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Misery 2017/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    We've overspent on players like Xhaka(£35m), Mustafi (£35m) and Chambers (17m) but haven't spent enough on bringing in a top class striker. The striker position is the one position where you're unlikely to unearth some hidden talent on the cheap. You need to sp

We've probably spent around £40m on strikers in total anyway. Welbeck and Perez cost around £20m each, we wasted around £4m for that Japanese kid. Factor in the wages we’ve blown….we should have just coughed up the asking price for Lacazette years ago. We’ve spent £40 to £50m on garbage and it’s cost us over the years and prices have kept on going up.
    Look on the bright side. Soon Wenger will be able to go back to claiming we don't have the money to compete.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    No official sources have confirmed it (either club), papers will tend to re-hash information form other places to fill their pages, this article actually says according to the telegraph which is what you posted a link for:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/02/monaco...bappe-6679367/

Looks like nonsense to me.
    Cognitive dissonance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Point is, it makes no difference whether it happened or not. It was an entirely irrelevant bid. Typical Wenger. How much is this Mars bar? A pound. I'll give you 50p. If we have 87mill to spend, then why not put in a big bid for Aubergine? Get him here, get him integrated, get him and the team ready for pre-season.

Reason is because if we did bid the money Dortmund want we'd then have to sign him and stump up, or find some other reason not to sign him. The club doesn't want to spend big money, it wants to buy 2nd tier players for smaller amounts, it doesn't care about competing, only about the balance sheet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the last 10-12 years we've underspent, maybe it's been better in the last few seasons, but it's largely been wasted on rubbish to be honest, last summer was a shamble with us overpaying for players who aren't good enough and aren't worth half that, Mustafi for example we had to overpay for because we left he deal so late and Perez was just a panic buy to try and keep fans happy.
    Some of that time our spending was affected by the new stadium though - David Dein has backed that up in interviews.
    Since the new sponsorship deals there has been a clear change in our spending, but I do agree some of the spending has been in the wrong places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Some of that time our spending was affected by the new stadium though - David Dein has backed that up in interviews.
    Since the new sponsorship deals there has been a clear change in our spending, but I do agree some of the spending has been in the wrong places.
    What's clear to me is that this club penny pinches, instead of going out and signing genuine quality for decent money it goes out and signs 2nd tier players for less but overall the cost of those 2-3 players would have been enough to sign that top quality player, it's a false economy.

I honestly don't know if it's because Wenger doesn't want to buy star players or because of pure stupidity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't Ozil and Sanchez star players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Aren't Ozil and Sanchez star players?
    Ozil was a panic buy, no doubt about it in my mind, the club were under a lot of pressure and went all out (very out of character), a bit like the summer when we signed about 5 players at the end of the transfer window (most of them rubbish).

With Sanchez, Wenger probably saw him as a bit of a project after his not overly successful spell at Barca where he wasn't a starter, he certainly wasn't at the peak of his powers and wasn't a player who had just had a great season.

Even if those two are, they are the exception rather than the rule, 2 players in 12 years after losing countless of our best players at the peak of their powers.
    Last edited by Özim; 27-06-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozil was a panic buy, no doubt about it in my mind, the club were under a lot of pressure and went all out (very out of character), a bit like the summer when we signed about 5 players at the end of the transfer window (most of them rubbish).

With Sanchez, Wenger probably saw him as a bit of a project after his not overly successful spell at Barca where he wasn't a starter, he certainly wasn't at the peak of his powers and wasn't a player who had just had a great season.

Even if those two are, they are the exception rather than the rule, 2 players in 12 years after losing countless of our best players at the peak of their powers.
    With Ozil, we spent all summer chasing Higuain and then Suarez, ended up with neither, still needed a striker but sign an attacking midfielder we didn’t need. It signing that didn’t solve the goal problem. A Star player but a wasted opportunity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it's not 2 in 12 years, it's 2 in 2 or 3 years (was it 2? Can't remember if we signed them in consecutive seasons, I think we did).
    For most of those 12 years our spending was restricted by the stadium move, as I said Dein has backed that up. Since the new sponsorship deals were sorted out there has been a clear change in our spending.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    With Ozil, we spent all summer chasing Higuain and then Suarez, ended up with neither, still needed a striker but sign an attacking midfielder we didn’t need. It signing that didn’t solve the goal problem. A Star player but a wasted opportunity.
    Do we need him?