User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 26th May 1989

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie

26th May 1989

Been reminded by Arsenal twitter page that 28 years ago today (also on a Friday) we went to Anfield and did the nearly impossible.

I frankly think because of the circumstances governing it, this is head and shoulders the greatest moment in Arsenal's history.

I unfornately was only five at the time and don't really remember it

Just to change the subject from the constant grinding negativity that is AFC presently, which of you remembers this day, if you do how old were you and did you watch the game live (it was on ITV I think)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at college. Watched the match live with a few mates. Went out on the town to celebrate. Being oop-norf, everybody was in mourning. After that, can't remember what happened but subsequent evidence suggested it wasn't good.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finals in my Uni. Too much going in my head to celebrate properly. Still had a lot of fun at the expense of the few Scouse fans that were around. Happy days. No internet in those days so the ribbing was always personal and wicked. Pool fans havent forgiven us since obviously.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was actually the moment which elevated me from "nominal, armchair" Arsenal fan to a "starting going to games, having a season ticket" Arsenal fan.
    It was 2 days after my 15th birthday so I was a bit late to the party but before that evening I would have told anyone who asked that I was an Arsenal fan but I wouldn't have been able to name many players or tell you what their last result was or who they were playing next.
    I have vague memories of the build up to the evening and remember thinking we had a chance but what was probably just naivety than any real insight.
    It was the moment which made me realise what an incredible sport football is - or used to be, it's sad how it's gone in the years since and now I'm back to being a "nominal, armchair" fan again.

Had some fun in between times though

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't alive and it has never really affected me, but I'll be honest I know of no one young or old who really holds it against you; it was just one of those things. Disappointment and disbelief obviously, but I don't know about anger. I'm sure winning the FA Cup against Everton the week before helped soften the blow, but from what I've read and watched it seems it was a fairly nice (I can't think of a better word) atmosphere with your tribute for Hillsborough and our fans clapping you at the end.

Still it would be nice if they changed the commentary on FIFA so they didn't reference it every game played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't even put anything about David rockcastle's death in the match day programme on the anniversary of his death. No one at this club gives a shit about this club except maybe rob holding and nacho monreal
    [B]Check out my friends stand up Comedy channel :

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Firmino Is Boss View Post
    I wasn't alive and it has never really affected me, but I'll be honest I know of no one young or old who really holds it against you; it was just one of those things. Disappointment and disbelief obviously, but I don't know about anger. I'm sure winning the FA Cup against Everton the week before helped soften the blow, but from what I've read and watched it seems it was a fairly nice (I can't think of a better word) atmosphere with your tribute for Hillsborough and our fans clapping you at the end.

Still it would be nice if they changed the commentary on FIFA so they didn't reference it every game played.
    No there never really was any Malice between Arsenal and Liverpool, we were just rivals for the league a few times.

On the evening of the game the Arsenal players all brought out flowers to hand to the crowds as a way of commemorating and showing solidarity with the fans for the tragedy of Hillsborough.

The game came down to this show down a) because we have failed to finish off the league at home to Derby and then Wimbledon if we won both of those games we'd have been champions before we came to Anfield and b) Liverpool had surged massively in the league during the spring time despite a lot of rescheduled fixtures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firmino Is Boss View Post

It has to be remembered that everyone was turning up that night for the formality of crowning Liverpool the champions, again. There was no question about that in anyone's minds. Forgone conclusion with a fair bit of media patronising about how well plucky Arsenal had done to come so close. Pre-game was as you say, a good atmosphere between the two sets of fans. Same in the pub leading up to the game. Everyone was talking about how impressive Arsenal's challenge was, but in the context of it making no difference at the final reckoning.

After the game though it was a very different story. Football meant a lot more to people back then. Post game, the northern lads were pretty much in shock. Many of them couldn't wrap their heads around how a title could be decided on goals for. Some thought it highly unfair and were super bitter about it. Other's thought the title should have been shared. Some thought the match should be played again. But loads simply didn't accept the result as legitimate. I don't think one person suggested it was all done fair and square.

Don't know how it went down in the stadium itself, all I can remember is having a long track record of hating Steve McMahons's guts and seeing him signal that one minute and then a minute later being laid out on the turf, that was sweet. The rivalries were so much stronger back then. Took about a week for things to return to normal where you wouldn't get shunned by some of the lads in the pub.

I think, possibly, I may have rubbed it in a bit. Liverpool fans had such a superiority complex back then, basically because they used to win everything and had done for years. Was hard to resist pressing home the one time they came up short. Nobody knew at the time it was the start of the end of an era. It was just assumed the match and the whole season was a one-off, never to be repeated oddity. While the gypos conjured up their own last minute win years later, that match in no way compared in terms of the shock and disbelief.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at Poly up north. Was working in a pub that night so didn't get seeing the game. My mates came in to give me the good news. They were mainly Man U fans so were delirious.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was too young but I've heard many tales from my dad and grandad about the night. Must have been beyond incredible.