User Tag List

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Match Reaction vs Chelsea (FA Cup, neutral)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    I never would have thought Wenger would make a move to 3 at the back. It's definitely something we should continue with and I'd also like to see him alter the formation by playing 2 up front instead of one. My main gripe with Giroud up front is his lack of mobility. Combine his physical presence with a smaller player like Sanchez or Walcott and we get the best of both worlds. The three of them have scored a load of goals this season and we have a system that can accommodate a partnership. Also, we'd be able to play Ozil as a 10. The closer he plays to Sanchez, the better.

But even without the alterations, we should stick with this formation. Would prefer Sanchez up front and maybe get Iwobi back playing but in the wide attack position Sanchez would play. I think the kid deserves a second chance. He's not a winger and didn't suit playing there.
    I've always favoured 2 up front for defensive reasons. Sounds bizarre at first but consider this. If you have one up front when the rest are defending, the one up front can be man marked meaning the other side can have more attacking. If you have 2 up front with the potential for interplay, then the other team need to consider having 3 in defence, 2 being a bit risk, thus reducing their attacking potential. Given the way having a back 3 seems to have worked really well, a 3-5-2 gets my vote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    That can't be right - someone must have photoshopped John Terry out of the picture?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coney View Post
    That can't be right - someone must have photoshopped John Terry out of the picture?
    He came on separately for a guard of honour 26 minutes into the celebrations.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should definitely continue on with the formation next season, it's helped confidence return and most importantly produced some good results. I would like to see if it can stand the test of a whole season.

Wenger made the right move but it's frustrating that it (again) took us reaching a nadir for something to change. He probably could have made any number of changes to the system and it would have yielded something positive because we were absolutely shocking this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly don't think we can read anything of significance into this new defensive set up. We've been up against teams that have gone on holiday and we've used it in a cup final which is a one off game where form goes out the window.

What we actually need is for Wenger to duck out of coaching so we can bring in proper coaches instead of his cronies. We need a defence that can do the business during the season, not just at the tail end of it. We probably won't get that, so what I'm saying is we'll need to wait for the first third of next season to play out until we can determine if there's genuinely something new happening defensively. We've seen the current pattern too many times already.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A striker that can't score goals.... Yes we've been crying out for one of those all season If we hadn't have scored straight away and ended losing the final, nobody on here would be praising Welbeck.
    I guess, but the game is more than about goals. Its the process.

I dont want Welbeck starting for this club in a major match again, but his speed and industry forced CHelsea to fall back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, he stretched Chelsea with his running which allowed more space for Ozil and Alexis. I'm not saying we can't do better than Welbeck, but he definitely played a bit part in the win on Saturday.

Giroud is a better footballer technically but I'd still opt for Welbeck over him to start matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermind84 View Post
    I guess, but the game is more than about goals. Its the process.

I dont want Welbeck starting for this club in a major match again, but his speed and industry forced CHelsea to fall back.
    A mobile striker helps open up space for others. We need that and you see the difference it has on the way play develops. I’ve said that before and why I’d prefer Alexis or Theo up front to someone like Giroud. But we also need a sharp finisher and someone with better technique. No point in playing with a blunt instrument up front. It solves one problem but creates another. It’s like reverting back to the days of playing with Chamakh, Bendy or Sanogo up front. They’d be a handful for defenders when on their game but they wouldn’t take their chances and it was costly. It’s a process but you want a process that produces an end result.

Welbeck has work to do this summer. Maybe it’s just rust. But since coming back into the first team, he’s started 8 games up front as striker and has only scored 1 goal. Even before his injury, he’d have similar runs in the squad up front but people still have more faith him playing as striker over someone like Walcott or Sanchez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mobile striker helps open up space for others. We need that and you see the difference it has on the way play develops. I’ve said that before and why I’d prefer Alexis or Theo up front to someone like Giroud. But we also need a sharp finisher and someone with better technique. No point in playing with a blunt instrument up front. It solves one problem but creates another. It’s like reverting back to the days of playing with Chamakh, Bendy or Sanogo up front. They’d be a handful for defenders when on their game but they wouldn’t take their chances and it was costly. It’s a process but you want a process that produces an end result.

Welbeck has work to do this summer. Maybe it’s just rust. But since coming back into the first team, he’s started 8 games up front as striker and has only scored 1 goal. Even before his injury, he’d have similar runs in the squad up front but people still have more faith him playing as striker over someone like Walcott or Sanchez.
    Its not rust

Welbeck isn't a goal scorer and never will be. He has a use though. He can play a flank and help the fullback out with his defense while having the speed to force defenses to sit deeper.

He did that on Saturday. I just strongly disagree with calling his performance useless on Saturday. But saying he has use is not the same as "Welbeck should be our starting number 9 next summer." He isn't good enough for that role over the course of a season.