User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ozil and Sanchez both want to leave

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although reinforces the idea they were waiting for Wenger before deciding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Wenger's decision to stay the greatest act of selfishness in the history of the modern game? I'm trying to think of anything else that comes within a mile of it.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The motive for pretty much every act in the modern game is selfishness, I don't think there's any sensible way of ranking them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Is Wenger's decision to stay the greatest act of selfishness in the history of the modern game? I'm trying to think of anything else that comes within a mile of it.
    It's possible. He doesn't have the clubs best interest in mind, despite all the shite he's said in the past. He's done some serious damage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at the tipping point where all his early successes are overshadowed by what this Club has become and where it is going.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of problems at Arsenal at board level. And a lot of the things rotten at Arsenal at rotten throughout football. It's not all about Wenger IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall Quinn View Post
    I'm at the tipping point where all his early successes are overshadowed by what this Club has become and where it is going.
    That’s the serious damage. A lot of people are switching off or close to that point. I’ve always said once Wenger goes he’ll be remembered as a legend but I’m starting to have second thoughts. For me, I doubt I’ll be able to hold him in the same high regard compared to whenever I look at former players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just generally regard football as a complete cess pit these days. Wenger is a factor in my ennui with Arsenal but it's only part of my bigger ennui with football as a sport. Cheating players, obscene money, corrupt referees, media saturation, it being a business where we are customers rather than fans and every opportunity to pick us up by the ankles and shake us to see if any more money falls out. Pre-season tours are now shameless marketing exercises to build fan base in other parts of the world.
    Really struggling to be arsed with any of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    There are a lot of problems at Arsenal at board level. And a lot of the things rotten at Arsenal at rotten throughout football. It's not all about Wenger IMO.
    Of course. Kroenke is incompetent. But if Wenger is able to convince Kroenke to resist cashing in on Ozil and Sanchez, that says a lot about Wenger’s influence at the club. Passing up the opportunity to make a quick buck? The consensus has always been that our owners only care about cash. So what’s going on? Wenger dropping out of the Top 4 and still getting a new contract was the biggest indicator. Now we’re talking about letting more money walk out of the club. Two world class international players that boost our club profile. It makes no sense.

Who’s crunching the numbers? How can it be ‘ideal’ to let star players leave on a free transfer and cite that it will be a common trend in football because clubs won’t want to pay the high transfer fees? What sort of logic is this? If we can see it’s starting to cost around £50m just to sign a good player and over £100m for world class, why in the heck would you not offer your world class players a contract that will end up costing around £50m - £70m spread over 3-5 years? Where is the foresight? We’re reluctant to spend big on transfer fees or wages. Where is the planning? It’s not as if project youth has worked either. We’re getting offered peanuts for our Arsenal Academy prodigies whilst other clubs have cashed in big on the players they’ve developed. Sheer incompetence all around the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    That’s the serious damage. A lot of people are switching off or close to that point. I’ve always said once Wenger goes he’ll be remembered as a legend but I’m starting to have second thoughts. For me, I doubt I’ll be able to hold him in the same high regard compared to whenever I look at former players.
    Are you sure it's not just older fans that are switching off? The younger fans have no pre-Wenger concepts, in fact no pre-PL concepts. To them, the greed, the cynicism, the lack of the community element, vanished team loyalty, mercenaries for hire instead of players that grow up with the club - these are all normal. And the hype, all perfectly normal by the screwed up standards we are working with today. I'm not sure the damage being done is the loss of the fan base. The TV companies and sponsors wouldn't be pouring cash like a waterfall if they weren't making even more on the back end. I think we have the fan base, but what type of fan? Football consumers rather than football fan(atics).

As for Wenger. Like I said, selfishness. He's building the legacy of a man who didn't know when to quit, rather than the manager that led us to our most successful period. Amazing how he either can't see that or is prepared to live with it. If I had years like his early years under my belt I'd get the fuck out and dine on that success for the rest of my life. Doesn't mean to say he had to get out of football completely. Plenty of roles for him still to play. But that legacy was good enough to warrant preserving, yet he's throwing it away for what? Proof he can compete in a game that has gone to hell? Some screwed up notion he can rescue the game single-handedly? Addiction to the power he's accumulated? But that's who he is for me now, the selfish guy who didn't know when to quit.
    Für eure Sicherheit