User Tag List

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon 2017 (3rd July - 16 July)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Roger Federer a set and two breaks up against Milos Raonic who at 1-5 is serving to stay in the second set

Raonic and Dmitrov both tough customers especially on Grass, Federer is showing he's really the man to beat here
    Dimitrov is a quality player, but Raonic is a one trick pony, all he has is his serve the rest of his game is pretty average. Sure he beat Federer last year but that was Federer in awful shape and form.

Not surprised to see Raonic getting thumped, Federer is playing some great stuff and he doesn't have the weapons to hurt him when he's playing well. He got shown up by Murray last year as well, the final was a massive disappointment as Murray dispatched him with ease (just like he did at Queens a month before).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Nadal wasn't ever going to make it to the semi-final stage, Wimbledon is gone for him these days.

Low bounce (comparative to clay) fucks him up; it doesn't benefit him to be able to play with such heavy topspin with the ball not bouncing high - plus for the opponent it doesn't leap up on them as severely.

On clay he can slide, combined with his ridiculous energy, he can be an absolute brick wall - it's more difficult on grass to do so.

He doesn't need it anymore, he has won it twice - reached five finals in a row (of when he played). Very similar to Federer on clay really.

It's a bit unfair to say Murray often gets the top seeds in his half and gets knocked out, that's not his fault. I think you could level the same accusation at many a slam triumph and I will point out, he has won Wimbledon only twice!
    You might be right but Muller has no pedigree at all, this was his one off win of his career, Nadal would have made a better opponent further down the tournament.

You might have a point, his shots defeinitely don't seem to have the same pace and aren't as accurate, he seemed overpowered by Muller which is odd to see, he may not need it anymore but after quite a few years of underperforming you can see he wants it.

The draw often opens up for him, it's not his fault but he just seems to get the rub of the green for some reason, not this year obviously where his hip injury put pay to his chances in the end.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Dimitrov is a quality player, but Raonic is a one trick pony, all he has is his serve the rest of his game is pretty average. Sure he beat Federer last year but that was Federer in awful shape and form.

Not surprised to see Raonic getting thumped, Federer is playing some great stuff and he doesn't have the weapons to hurt him when he's playing well. He got shown up by Murray last year as well, the final was a massive disappointment as Murray dispatched him with ease (just like he did at Queens a month before).
    He is a one trick pony but it's quite a trick, someone who can deliver a 130mph second serve clearly is not going to be broken easily.
    Federer playing well but also take into consideration that Raonic had to endure a tough five setter against the guy for the future Sascha Zverev.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    He is a one trick pony but it's quite a trick, someone who can deliver a 130mph second serve clearly is not going to be broken easily.
    Federer playing well but also take into consideration that Raonic had to endure a tough five setter against the guy for the future Sascha Zverev.
    True and this works well against the lower ranked players, but the top players handle big servers much better and often manage to return them, which then leave players like Raonic with a problem as they have no other game and can't compete in ralleys.

I think these 5 setters obviously take their toll but that was his only 5 setter so I'm not sure it has too much bearing, the limitations in his game are the real issue.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    True and this works well against the lower ranked players, but the top players handle big servers much better and often manage to return them, which then leave players like Raonic with a problem as they have no other game and can't compete in ralleys.

I think these 5 setters obviously take their toll but that was his only 5 setter so I'm not sure it has too much bearing, the limitations in his game are the real issue.
    I'm not trying to claim he's a champion in waiting, I'm saying he can be a bloody nuisance to play against. Of course the top seeds usually best him but I'm saying is Federer is doing so comfortably which is credit to Federers current form.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Djokovic defaults

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Djokovic retires at 7-6 2-0 down. Well that's the only way Berdych was ever going to beat him again.

Federer with his easiest Slam win ever. I suppose that's the reward for taking care of himself so well over the years while the others are always carrying injuries.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fed wins 6-4 6-2 7-6 (7-4).

Too good this GOAT.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    Djokovic retires at 7-6 2-0 down. Well that's the only way Berdych was ever going to beat him again.

Federer with his easiest Slam win ever. I suppose that's the reward for taking care of himself so well over the years while the others are always carrying injuries.
    He's only ever won one grand slam without dropping a set (Australian open 2007) so will be interesting to see if he can repeat that here. Berdych in good form, beat Ferrer and Thiem quite comfortably.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he plays eight sets further in this tournament and wins then he still would've played the same amount of completed sets from the AO '07.