Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Pre Season Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall Quinn View Post
    I think I'm very close to out the door.

The only thing to do with Arsenal that I have, is this forum.
    Watched about 5 games last season, mostly in the FA Cup. Quite often I didn't know the result at all till I saw it on here or happened to stumble across it online somewhere.
    Most of the time I had no real idea when or who we were playing week to week.
    I can't completely detach from him, I did enjoy our Cup win. But my ennui is growing year on year and it's not just because of Wenger. It's a factor but it's mostly how football is going generally.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    The theory is Wenger can be outlasted and we'll still be here when he's gone.

Admittedly, this theory is starting to look shaky. The day I see him wheeled out on a trolley with a new contract pinned to his chest is the day I walk.
    We are essentially already a retirement home with one resident.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Watched about 5 games last season, mostly in the FA Cup. Quite often I didn't know the result at all till I saw it on here or happened to stumble across it online somewhere.
    Most of the time I had no real idea when or who we were playing week to week.
    I can't completely detach from him, I did enjoy our Cup win. But my ennui is growing year on year and it's not just because of Wenger. It's a factor but it's mostly how football is going generally.

I feel the same but I think Wenger is a much larger contributor to my apathy. Though I generally don't enjoy the sport as much as I did for quite a long time. Watching Borussia Dortmund and Monaco at their best have been welcome distractions as was Leicester City's title win. They are the involuntary movements on the cadaver of football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll never be able to go cold turkey because following football is a monotonous habit, however I've done some serious checking out over the last few seasons. I just can't be bothered anymore in all honesty, far more important things going on in my life that I've become emotionally and financially invested in.

Wenger's never-ending reign has sapped the enjoyment from supporting the club and football as a whole is awash with too much money now. Maybe when I have kids the interest will return as it will be something we can share but right now I don't see a point in becoming so invested again.

At work last season Spurs and Chelsea fans constantly gave me shit but it was like water off a ducks back, most of the time I was just sitting there thinking how irrelevant to me their boasting was and how sad they actually were for thinking I gave a damn.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 24-07-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're losing interest because there's no hope for us. It's the same shit every season. if Wenger stepped down after the cup win there would be something to look forward to. It probably wouldn't be smooth sailing and it would still be an uphill struggle for us but at least something would be different.

Instead he's signed for another two years and we all know that's just another two years of mediocrity, boring football and embarrassments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To say Wenger isn't a big reason for many fans turning their backs on the club is untrue, yes football is ridiculous these days, but with the right manager there's still enjoyment to be had, but with someone who saps all of the enjoyment out of watching the club in charge it's hard to have any enthusiasm at all, it's just one boring game after another, followed summer, where little really changes.

When things stay the same for so long, it all goes very stale and that's what happened to this club. I was more optimistic when we signed Lacazette, but now it seems it's all going the usual way again, days/weeks going by with nothing more than BS transfer rumours, some utterly ridiculous ones some people even choose to believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    I feel the same but I think Wenger is a much larger contributor to my apathy. Though I generally don't enjoy the sport as much as I did for quite a long time. Watching Borussia Dortmund and Monaco at their best have been welcome distractions as was Leicester City's title win. They are the involuntary movements on the cadaver of football.
    Yep, it's how I feel too. Wenger is definitely the main contributor to my apathy. I honestly don't care anymore, of course I get frustrated and want the best for Arsenal but I know things won't change under this current regime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Elneny is a player who has a fantastic mentality and attitude, and his main target is to help the team. When he plays there, of course he does extremely well.
    'I always felt that a good central midfielder can be a good centre back. With the fact of course that when you’re playing in the back four you have to be decisive in the challenges, you have a bit more flexibility in the middle of a back three. He can do that.'
    Guy really is a joke. He's getting worse, if anything. Jamming players into the wrong positions, that's his absolute speciality.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Guy really is a joke. He's getting worse, if anything. Jamming players into the wrong positions, that's his absolute speciality.
    Wenger all over. If we’re taking a risk at CB, why not play Holding or Chambers in that role? Introducing Elneny as CB just pushes them further down the pecking order, stunting their growth and confidence whilst fucking over a perfectly fine CM unsuited for that position. We weaken ourselves in two areas. Elneny is probably the most well rounded CM we have available. We’re always going to have this problem with Wenger. He finds a way to weaken the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holding, Chambers, Wilshere, Walcott, Ox, Jenkinson, Gibbs - what's it all about? Wenger gets these players, based on their potential, and then drags that potential down into a pit of mediocrity.

Kane, Alli, how come the spuds can get it right?
    Für eure Sicherheit