User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does Wenger see out his contract ?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No he walks

5 17.86%
  • No he's sacked

7 25.00%
  • Yes and he goes in 2019

6 21.43%
  • Yes and he stays on after 2019

10 35.71%
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wenger - In or out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    At this moment in time, he's without a doubt the worst manager in Arsenal's history. It's inconceivable that any other manager from our past could have fucked things up this badly. This is the developing question, isn't it. When Wenger's achievements are set against his growing list of catastrophes, how will he be remembered? At this moment he should be thanking his lucky stars for characters like Adams, Vieira, Bergkamp, Henry, Gilberto... Players that all managed to overcome the Wenger deficit.

Personally I'm becoming deeply suspicious about Wenger's "successes" and wondering just how much input he had beyond the advantages he brought here in the early years which he couldn't maintain. And you can say I'm pissing on his legacy. Maybe true. But it's a trickle of piss compared to the deluge Wenger is pissing all over himself.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    At this moment in time, he's without a doubt the worst manager in Arsenal's history. It's inconceivable that any other manager from our past could have fucked things up this badly. This is the developing question, isn't it. When Wenger's achievements are set against his growing list of catastrophes, how will he be remembered? At this moment he should be thanking his lucky stars for characters like Adams, Vieira, Bergkamp, Henry, Gilberto... Players that all managed to overcome the Wenger deficit.

Personally I'm becoming deeply suspicious about Wenger's "successes" and wondering just how much input he had beyond the advantages he brought here in the early years which he couldn't maintain. And you can say I'm pissing on his legacy. Maybe true. But it's a trickle of piss compared to the deluge Wenger is pissing all over himself.
    Revisionism.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    One of my biggest flaws as a person is an inability to not have an argument, the need to get into a debate for hours on end.

Because otherwise I run the risk of the other person thinking I don't have a case.

Ultimately stupid because other people will think that anyway just as I often think the same of them

Today I'm not going to take the bait. It's too nice outside.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    Revisionism.
    What he said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word responses. Sometimes the best way to respond, but in this case more instinctive I think, than informed. Because all of us have now surely come to the realisation Wenger is tactically incompetent and couldn't motivate a rock to roll downhill. Does anyone still deny these rather obvious realities?

My thoughts are now that Wenger brought an off the field revolution and an early advantage in the developing European transfer market, but brought almost nothing in terms of on-field management. That was all left to the players. This is what the sustained evidence is starting to support.

What if Wenger getting involved with on-field considerations was the catalyst for the steady decline?

I don't think a one word protection racket is going to shield Wenger's legacy for much longer. In Wengerland every river is the Rubicon but fans are starting to get their feet wet on a regular basis. He's not a man that enjoys being questioned but now it is time to question everything about this guy. He is destroying our club, after all.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word responses. Sometimes the best way to respond, but in this case more instinctive I think, than informed. Because all of us have now surely come to the realisation Wenger is tactically incompetent and couldn't motivate a rock to roll downhill. Does anyone still deny these rather obvious realities?

My thoughts are now that Wenger brought an off the field revolution and an early advantage in the developing European transfer market, but brought almost nothing in terms of on-field management. That was all left to the players. This is what the sustained evidence is starting to support.

What if Wenger getting involved with on-field considerations was the catalyst for the steady decline?

I don't think a one word protection racket is going to shield Wenger's legacy for much longer. In Wengerland every river is the Rubicon but fans are starting to get their feet wet on a regular basis. He's not a man that enjoys being questioned but now it is time to question everything about this guy. He is destroying our club, after all.
    I’m only messing around when I say ‘revisionism’. I’ve argued similar to what you’re saying and been accused of revisionism. He’s never been a great tactician and the standard of players and coaching wasn’t as advanced as it is now. It is what it is. We’re getting new information about Wenger’s coaching style all the time. It just sheds more light on the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    One of my biggest flaws as a person is an inability to not have an argument, the need to get into a debate for hours on end.

Because otherwise I run the risk of the other person thinking I don't have a case.

Ultimately stupid because other people will think that anyway just as I often think the same of them

Today I'm not going to take the bait. It's too nice outside.
    That explains a lot and something I've always suspected.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    That explains a lot and something I've always suspected.
    The difference between you and me is that I'm prepared to admit it

Also in case there's any misunderstanding. I'm not for a second saying I argue for the sake of arguing (a claim you've often made). I'm saying far too often I get into an argument with someone I disagree with when it's easier to leave it.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Case in point. Have someone this morning make the argument that we wouldn't have lost as badly on Sunday if Jamie O'Hara who is currently at Billericay Town was playing in midfield instead of Ramsey.

Now I have a long and Proud history of Ramsey bashing. That's too rich for my blood. But I'm just not getting into it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree with this, when he arrived he inherited leaders like Adams, Keown etc and this helped him with his successes a lot, this was alos passed onto the later generation through Vieira and co, but when Wenger got rid of these players without slowing phasing them out and getting the younger players to learn from them this stopped.

He signed some top players back then as well, this was due to his advantage with regards knowing the Frech league which was producing a lot of talent at the time. Since these things have disappeared he's had very little success, you have to question those achievements when a supposedly great manager cannot reproduce anything of note in 13 years. I don't think you'll find too many top managers who win lots early in their career and then literally win nothing of note and don't even compete for the major priczes for years after that.

He's tainted his legacy in my eyes anyway, I'll remember him for the guy who never listened, didn't care about anyone but himself and claimed losing was being successful.