User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Match Reaction - Arsenal 3-0 Bournemouth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    On the other hand, I remember a game (Southampton?) which ended 0-0 and Ozil spent the whole sodding game putting over perfect cross after perfect cross none of which our inept attackers were unable to convert.
    None of those would be counted in the assist stats, doesn't mean he wasn't doing his bit.
    I guess in conclusion, stats don't paint the whole picture but I don't think they're meaningless either.
    Of course stats can be useful but on plenty of occasions I've seen you and others often throw up the numbers with no context or reference to the sort of chances created. There have been games where we have hardly created a note worthy chance and looked flat but I've seen people say Ozil created plenty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    Of course stats can be useful but on plenty of occasions I've seen you and others often throw up the numbers with no context or reference to the sort of chances created.
    True, but until MO raised the point I hadn't really considered that, and I don't remember you picking up on that either.
    It is a good point but while what MO said should be a consideration, what I said should be too - other games where Ozil creates plenty but our strikers don't score so it looks like Ozil didn't create anything when he did.
    I guess the point of stats is that over time those things kinda cancel each other out, they are not meaningless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I guess the point of stats is that over time those things kinda cancel each other out, they are not meaningless.
    yup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not really a stat man but you cant argue with this, his numbers are decent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stats need to be handled with care a bit but they're not meaningless.
    MO makes a good point about assists above, a defence splitting pass counts just as much as a 5 yard sideways one which someone pings into the top corner. But as I said a defence splitting pass which the striker then messes up doesn't count. Over a season it roughly balances out.
    You could say the same about goals stats. Bergkamp's goal against Newcastle counts the same as a scrappy 5 yard toe-poke but you can use the same logic. A 30 yard shot into the top corner which the 'keeper makes an amazing save of doesn't count, a weak shot which the 'keeper fumbles into the net does. Again, over time it should pretty much even out.