User Tag List

Page 87 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Transfer Despair and Bafflement.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I don't really understand why we're celebrating trimming our squad mid season without confirmation of proven replacements. It hasn't actually made us any stronger. Yes we may well not finish top 4 but we can earn a CL place and a trophy by winning the Europa.

I'm excluding the Greek kid as he was supposed to go on loan and it would be daft to expect him to push us forward right now.
    It’s not celebrating. It’s a suggestion that the same stagnant players won’t be allowed to stink out the team and we are prepared to be ruthless. You’re quite right of course without reinforcements it means very little. But it’s just the indication that Wengers grip is being loosened.

On its own it does of course mean nothing.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    Exactly. It’s shorts sighted but what else is new. The shit has to hit the fan on multiple occasions before lessons are learned. There isn’t much choice when It comes to Sanchez and Ozil but I no idea why we’re considering selling anyone else.
    Two things

1) Are Walcott or Coquelin going to have any impact on where we finish this season. I’d say not.
    2) Would you expect Wenger to sell either of these players (especially Walcott) if the decision was solely his. Again I’d say no

On its own I totally accept it doesn’t mean a lot, but it doesn’t really do us any harm. But it’s just as I’ve said the slightest glimmering that we might be more ruthless with non performing players.

What I would say is it clears the wage bill so when the summer comes we have no excuse to hide behind if we end up dithering again.

It’s not a massive step, it could mean absolutely nothing. But it’s not I don’t think something that will come back to haunt us either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wage bill reduction I get, but we've sold our only proper defensive midfielder and are looking at selling one of the fastest and most productive players in the squad. Neither have shown any kind of form this season but that doesn't mean there haven't been times or won't be times till the season end where they would be useful.

We've got this far in the Europa on a misfit 11 alone....that has kept first team players fresher. We've still played crap in the league but we might have been even worse if we couldn't rotate. If the league is a write off, the Europa league is still all to play for (which is looking like a major piece of the rebuilding puzzle if it gets us CL!) unless people actually want us to throw the league all together NOW and just play the first team in the Europa league at the expense of the domestic league when it's called for.

I've never been comfortable with transfer windows where we don't actually make any quality signings.....and so far we haven't. Wenger is expecting some diminutive Brazilian I'd never heard of to replace Sanchez!?? They're about the same height...I give him that, but that's not what I had in mind.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I think the celebration is more for the idea that Wenger's grip is loosening. Plus the wage bill is bloated and would need to be trimmed anyway in order to bring decent replacements in. Which leads back to Wenger. You already know it, this season is a write off. We're weaker than ever and we'll need to step up significantly right across the board to entertain ideas about Europa Cup wins. Right now we have no chance worth worrying about. Just look at our defence. And Wenger shows no sign of wanting to fix it. So while ditching Wenger's pet dross is necessary, to prepare the ground for a real manager coming in at some point, giving Wenger a chequebook so he can buy a whole batch of new problems is a danger. Are the new guys really in charge of transfers now? How much influence does Wenger still have in that area? Quite a bit by the sounds of it, because I doubt our new team is eyeing up Jonny Evans with any desire. The season is done. The club needs to be fixed and the first step in doing that is getting rid of Wenger as quickly as possible and trying to prevent him doing more damage before he goes. If that means a smaller, cheaper, mid table squad then that's better than a larger, expensive, mid table squad.
    Totally agree with you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kolasinac looked a worldie when he arrived.

Didn't take Wenger long, did it?
    The Wenker effect normally takes hold after a few months.

We could get just enough out of Malcom for the end of this season before the disease takes hold at the start of next season.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 12-01-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on Robbie, say it, say it... Wenger Out!

Für eure Sicherheit

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Come on Robbie, say it, say it... Wenger Out!

He won’t do that. He styles his role on the Wenger out/Wenger in thing is to be the consummate devils advocate to people who do take a view one way or the other.

Privately I think he wants Wenger out, but he won’t say it because he wants to present himself as being above the fray.

In fact he’s been asked for his view and he refuses to give it
    Last edited by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie; 12-01-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    It’s not celebrating. It’s a suggestion that the same stagnant players won’t be allowed to stink out the team and we are prepared to be ruthless. You’re quite right of course without reinforcements it means very little. But it’s just the indication that Wengers grip is being loosened.

On its own it does of course mean nothing.
    The same stagnant players that have hardly played? They've all been stagnant barring literally a few. Wenger is gone in a season and a half in any case (some even think this summer), so I think the loosening of power thing is being overvalued. I don't think he is going to do enough to A) Resoundingly earn a new contract and B) Prove to himself or the fans that he is genuinely going to take the club forward. That thought process may seem a stretch but he was at exactly that point before he won the FA cup a couple years back when he was again getting all kinds of stick.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely, Wenger's time has to be up this season?

We are really in serious trouble right now. Yes we have some 'targets' but again it's potential with uncertainty, not proven experience.

I just want him to die gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why...he honours his contracts. Only reason he will leave now is if Kroenke steps in or he starts getting the unbearable and combined fans & media abuse again...but it will have to go to a new level this time.