Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieira View Post
    I got the Europa league mixed up with champions league and the year chelsea won it

Vieira

Is there under any circumstances spurs would drop out? I would love that.
    I think it would happen if a Top 3 team were to win the Champions League also with Tottenham finishing fourth.

And if we won the Europa League then we'd qualify and Spurs wouldn't. In fact technically you could say the Spuds would lose out on that place to us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on city

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was under the impression they allow 5 English teams in those peculiar circumstances now....

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that might be right. Maybe it's only if Champions League and Europa League winners finish outside of the top four.

It's all a bit more confusing this year on what might happen as the Top 4 automatically qualify for the Champions League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Wenger is lucky only in that he is working at a club where he is held to account in the same way he would be at other clubs.
    In terms of results, he is no luckier than any other manager. We can cherry pick games where he's been lucky and ones where he hasn't, overall though I've no idea by what magic fairy dust anyone thinks he has been particularly lucky.
    He wasn’t lucky in the 50th game at OT. That still fucking pisses me off.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    I don’t think he’s lucky with individual results. I don’t think we deserved to beat Burnley on Sunday but if one of their players pushes one of ours in the box it’s not unreasonable to expect a penalty should be given.

I think he’s been lucky in the sense that other teams around us in the race for 4th have totally capitulated

2006 - spurs and the lasagne shits
    2009 - Aston Villa completely pooing themselves from end of February
    2012 - spurs drawing at Villa on the penultimate weekend of the season, allowing us to get third so we weren’t affected by Chelsea’s champions league win
    2014 - Everton having a bum explosion when they could have pipped us to 4th by losing at home to palace and away at Southampton
    2016 - Spurs 5-1 defeat away at already relegated Newcastle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is something in that.
    2006, to an extent although I don't think the lasagna thing affected them as much as they make out, they pretty much had a full strength team out. There is always a touch of fortune about relying on another result to go our way though.
    I checked 2009 and although Villa did indeed poo themselves they were never that far ahead of us. 5 points at the end of Feb and we finished miles ahead of them and Everton, We won 8 of our last 11, that isn't luck.
    2012...suppose so although we were 5 points clear of Spurs before we had a late season wobble so it was us who nearly threw it away on that occasion.
    2014. We were 4th with 5 games to go but Everton were only a point behind us and had a game in hand. We won our last 5 games so while we did finish further above Everton than we might have I'd say we earned that one.
    2016, we were lucky to finish 2nd but there's very little real difference between 2nd and 3rd, Spurs lost interest when they knew they wouldn't be Champions.

There have been some occasions where we have scraped into the top 4 or had to rely on other results, there are often fine lines in football. Overall though I don't think he has been especially lucky.