Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    His England career is definitely over.
    Probably, they seem to get into England squad for just being at a big club and putting in 1 or 2 decent performances, at a smaller club they really have to prove they're good enough, bit of a hitch for him though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Wheechair is off to West Ham.
    Where old Arsenal players go to die

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Agreed. Few English players ever want to develop, ever wanted to iron out the kinks in their game. Never want to abroad, never want competition for their place in the starting team. Think playing for England is a shoo-in once they have scored 3 goals. Wilshere was giving it large when he was only 19 years old. No big loss. West Ham will be his last Premier club before moving down the league.
    Banega for Ramsey would have been nice, hope he (Ramsey)refuses to sign.
    I think moving abroad might have been a better option, he needs to improve his game and that will only happen abroad, I guess he only had Fenerbahce after him so not a great choice, but better than nothing I guess.

Should have sold him to City a few years back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    It seems our budget is pretty limited, if it wasn't it wouldn't matter, but as it is spending wisely is important so we get the most for our money and get the best team possible moving forward.

If we need to replace players with no market value we have to find the cash from somewhere and it seems to me we don't have a whole lot of that (however odd that seems), whilst other top clubs are looking are the top class proven talents, we seem to be looking at cheaper alternatives. Would like us to build a team and then add some top players to this ocasionally to give us some star quality and matchwinners.

My criteria was never to bring experience incidentally, it was to bring in quality in areas we need, ideally players who can stay in the team for years to come so that we can have them around for a while and build a team around them.
    The aim is to get us into the top 4 to generate more revenue and open up more streams then we can think about longer term and younger players. But in the short term it's all about experience + getting us back into the top 4, and for a squad lacking toughness and experience, buying tough experienced players is good news IMO.

And if the club really wanted to they could add more to the transfer kitty. But they want to do it on a tighter budget. Nevertheless we are rolling in money.
    Last edited by Cripps; 06-07-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no problem with a bit of short-termism. It seems like all we ever did under Wenger was plan for a future that never came to fruition, so if some old cunts are what we need to bring us back to life that's fine. Besides, I think these days you can get way more out of a player who's hit 30 than you used to be able to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    I think moving abroad might have been a better option, he needs to improve his game and that will only happen abroad, I guess he only had Fenerbahce after him so not a great choice, but better than nothing I guess.

Should have sold him to City a few years back.
    A move abroad for him would have been good develop plus the leagues shouldn't be as physically demanding which would suit him his fragile body but I guess he and his family are very settled in London. Same reason Cech demanded to move to Arsenal and not move abroad. People and families are settled and not everyone wants to move countries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no problem with a bit of short-termism. It seems like all we ever did under Wenger was plan for a future that never came to fruition, so if some old cunts are what we need to bring us back to life that's fine. Besides, I think these days you can get way more out of a player who's hit 30 than you used to be able to.
    Agreed

There's a clear profile they're going for with the players that are being linked/signed already:

Lichsteiner
    N'zonzi
    Banega
    Torreira
    Sokratis

Nasty, hard bastards. And that's exactly what we're missing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like it or not, the players that we've been bringing in do address our current needs, which for several areas is a crippling lack of experience, leadership, professionalism and basic depth. Where an area needs a more long-term solution then I'm sure that's what we'll go for (e.g Torreira, Leno, possibly a winger)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Like it or not, the players that we've been bringing in do address our current needs, which for several areas is a crippling lack of experience, leadership, professionalism and basic depth. Where an area needs a more long-term solution then I'm sure that's what we'll go for (e.g Torreira, Leno, possibly a winger)...

I like it. It's much nicer than the usual aimless meandering around the transfer market, buying a random bargain here and there, generally ignoring obvious needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wheechair is off to West Ham.
    Jack must be desperate to play first team football. He's done at the top level after this move.