Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seri moving to... Fulham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I think the budget we have is actually in part reflected in the targets. I don't think heads will roll if it is slightly surpassed....football clubs can't be that anally rigid but I do believe there is truth to it....otherwise there's absolutely no reason not to make a stellar signing like Oblak when he would improve the first team no end. I will lend you an ear if you want to tell me Leno can improve.... but I couldn't seriously currently imagine him being a top 3 world keeper which Oblak is. Similarly we need a top Centre half and yet sign Sokratis who would need replacing in a few years himself anyway and is unlikely to get significantly better. If the budget isn't limited, the strategy would seem at odds with that.

The target will be top 4 but if we miss out on it in relatively credible fashion Emery will be persisted with....if only to save face. They also have limited the sort of hard line they can take when signings are a decision that he is only part of and not solely responsible for and the fact the budget to my mind is clearly limited.

Nobody seems to be mentioning the elephant in the room that is AMN. He seems to have been disregarded by the current regime. Torreira isn't much older than him and Gunzuelo (whatever his name is) is a similar age and there is still talk of Nzonzi. He won't fill in at full back now we have brought the Swiss captain here unless that was a pointless signing. Very concerned we won't see him progress.
    AMN will be the understudy to Torreira.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AMN just signed a new deal so I’m sure he will get a fair chance this season. Emery will want to have a close look at everyone before deciding what his preferred options are. Don’t be surprised if we see a lot of tinkering going on with the first 11 this season.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 10-07-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody seems to be mentioning the elephant in the room that is AMN. He seems to have been disregarded by the current regime. Torreira isn't much older than him and Gunzuelo (whatever his name is) is a similar age and there is still talk of Nzonzi. He won't fill in at full back now we have brought the Swiss captain here unless that was a pointless signing. Very concerned we won't see him progress.
    Wenger passed up on signing great players so he wouldn't 'kill' players like Wilshere, Ramsey, Theo and Ox. Look where that got us.

If AMN is talented enough he will surpass Torreira and/or the French kid and make the most of his opportunities when he gets them. If he can't do that then why do we even want him in the team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the budget we have is actually in part reflected in the targets. I don't think heads will roll if it is slightly surpassed....football clubs can't be that anally rigid but I do believe there is truth to it....otherwise there's absolutely no reason not to make a stellar signing like Oblak when he would improve the first team no end. I will lend you an ear if you want to tell me Leno can improve.... but I couldn't seriously currently imagine him being a top 3 world keeper which Oblak is. Similarly we need a top Centre half and yet sign Sokratis who would need replacing in a few years himself anyway and is unlikely to get significantly better. If the budget isn't limited, the strategy would seem at odds with that.

The target will be top 4 but if we miss out on it in relatively credible fashion Emery will be persisted with....if only to save face. They also have limited the sort of hard line they can take when signings are a decision that he is only part of and not solely responsible for and the fact the budget to my mind is clearly limited.

I think we have the budget to spend £70m on a goalkeeper. We’ve had a couple of seasons where we’ve spent £90m-£100m and the money didn’t come from player sales. But how many times can we afford to do it each season before the wage bill starts to swell to a ridiculous amount?

Our aim is to be like an Atletico or Dortmund in terms of transfer policy and strategy. If a rival club signs a player for peanuts but is able to sell them on for money that can amount to teams transfer budget for the whole year, we just have to chalk it up to a loss and move on. So early in Emery’s career, it makes no sense to allow him to spend that much on a player.

Klopp wasn’t given that sort of money until he had proven what he can do. I’d totally agree with spending a massive amount on a player if it’s clear we 100% need that player because we’re missing out on major trophies because of one or two key areas, but that’s not our position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some forum members are deeply wedded to some players so much that you tend to think maybe they are relatives of said player. If you are good enough you will rise to the top. Reminds me of the old Cripps who thought the sun itself shone out of Walcott's arse.

What is key for players like AMN is for him and the manager to identify his best position and play him there. Given a fair opportunity he will show his worth. AMN is no elephant in any room.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    The accepted wisdom was that Wenger wasn't a good coach, didn't get the best out of his players and didn't set us up tactically differently depending on the opposition.
    That suggests that this squad is capable of better given the above things being addressed.
    Ergo, I'd be reticent to write off our squad and claim it needs completely rebuilding right now.
    I think the squad as is is capable of pushing for the top 4, with some additions it could be challenging.
    We need to manage expectations though, not being revisionist but when Wenger came in the only really good manager he had to go toe to toe with was Ferguson.
    Now there are a bunch of good managers at clubs with considerable resources, a good manager isn't a guarantee of success any more.
    Let's face it, City / Pep look like they're going to be pretty dominant in this league for a few years to come, so we probably have a bit of time to figure this out before expectations get serious - might as well use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronaldo joins Juve officially for E100m

Worlds gone mad.

Serie A is finished. Juve will probs be champions by Xmas or at worst Feb.
    Last edited by Globalgunner; 10-07-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Desperate to finally move out of Messi's shadow.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matteo Guendouzi official.

https://twitter.com/Touchofozil/stat...15938325041152

Sven & Huss