User Tag List

Page 126 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1307

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

  1. #1251
    Member Power n Glory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    What is wrong with you? Your response to any post of mine is so Pavlovian

    You said "Anyone that attempts to discredit [what Ronaldo has done]". I don't think anyone is doing that. There seems to be a feeling that people on here who think he's a cock are trying to discredit it him. They're not. They just think he's a cock
    I honestly find the Messi vs Ronaldo debate boring. As I've said before, too many people on both sides of it pretend that their favoured player is clearly the better one. Truth is there's nothing between them but I've already agreed that Ronaldo testing himself in different leagues is a decent argument for giving him more credit in certain ways.
    I respond the way I do because you always jump in with an irrelevant point that has zero to do with the discussion.

  2. #1252
    Administrator Letters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    23,639
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    I respond the way I do because you always jump in with an irrelevant point that has zero to do with the discussion.
    I've edited your post. Don't speak to me like that.

    You said something about people discrediting him. That has often been an accusation about people who think Ronaldo is a cock that they are somehow trying to discrediting him. They aren't.
    It was a response to part of your post...

  3. #1253
    Member Power n Glory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I've edited your post. Don't speak to me like that.

    You said something about people discrediting him. That has often been an accusation about people who think Ronaldo is a cock that they are somehow trying to discrediting him. They aren't.
    It was a response to part of your post...
    'You said something about....' I mean your not even reading the full discussion before jumping in and catching snippets of what's being said despite it being right in front of your face in written form. There is no accusation or even an assumption that this has anything to do with Ronaldo being a cock. If you can't follow the gist of a conversation, just stay out of it.

  4. #1254
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ÷zim View Post
    He's a footballer not a businessman, he has loads of money already, huge sponsorship deals and a huge salary at Real an increase will be a drop in the ocean for him.

    Going to a new country is a big challenge, different country, different players, different style of play, different culture and lifestyle, he also has to move from somewhere he's been for 9 years and where he won't know anyone, it's a big change and a big challenge, especially when Juve want to win the CL.

    Staying at Real would have been easy, he's already a legend, he's the main man in the team he's won leagues and CL's, he could just play out his last days there, instead he's chosen to make the move and take a chance, credit to him. Too many footballers stay in the comfort zone like Messi, never changing anything and never trying their luck in a different country, which is far easier.
    By the sound of it he couldn't get the salary and contract he wanted at Real, which has prompted him to go elsewhere.

    I'm not boiling it down to a single reason, I said him wanting a challenge is probably not his only motivation. Half-a-mill a week is enough to tempt anyone to a new club. £2 million a month is no drop in the ocean. If money wasn't important, he wouldn't push for a mega contract like that. Let's not kids ourselves here. No-one ever stops and says "that's it, I have all the money I need now." Definitely not in today's world anyway.

    For a footballer of his experience and skill I'm not sure the whole moving country thing is as much of a big deal as it would have been when he was 24. It will play a part I'm sure, but not too much, because so much is taken care of off the field for him, and he has been around the block more than enough times to know how to adapt.

    Taking Juve one or two steps further in the CL isn't such a huge challenge when they have the league and cup double usually under their belts, and a team good enough to usually get into the last 4 or 8 at minimum in recent years.

    Ego and his situation with Perez probably played a bigger part in the move than anything else. Which is not to say he's alone in being controlled by his own ego - far from it - but going to a club guaranteed to win trophies every year without any nearby competition (at least Madrid had Barcelona to worry about) isn't that much of a challenge. Neymar done exactly the same and I rarely hear any voices suggesting he's gone there for the 'challenge' of winning the CL with PSG.
    Last edited by SMatthews; 11-07-2018 at 11:17 AM.

  5. #1255
    MOe Marc Overmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    24,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I don't think this is a huge challenge for a player like him, he's done it all so challenging himself doesn't really matter or come into it anymore.

    It's just a smart move. Leave Real Madrid at the top before the inevitable implosion, carry on earning big bucks for another elite club and probably win another title or 2. Easy street.

    Though for what it's worth, if he does win the CL with Juve that could possibly settle the GOAT debate.

  6. #1256
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lambeth, London
    Posts
    4,653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    I like Maguire but let's not go that overboard for him.

    Honestly think Chambers & Holding can be just as decent with the right setup & coaching.
    Yep, I think this too, especially Chambers who I believe has another level or two in him under the right coaching and guidance.

  7. #1257
    Ping Pong Master Aubameyang's Wang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    3,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    It's a common misconception that people who think that Ronaldo is a c*** also think he's no good at football. One can believe both that he's a c*** and an exceptional footballer. Those two things are not mutually exclusive, they're often complimentary.
    Iím the same, he IS a cunt, but my god, he is a phenomenal footballer/athlete!!

  8. #1258
    Ping Pong Master Aubameyang's Wang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    3,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the problem with getting our transfer business done early......

    We start falling out about other clubs transfers

    If only we had observed the waiting period.....

  9. #1259
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    The accepted wisdom was that Wenger wasn't a good coach, didn't get the best out of his players and didn't set us up tactically differently depending on the opposition.
    That suggests that this squad is capable of better given the above things being addressed.
    Ergo, I'd be reticent to write off our squad and claim it needs completely rebuilding right now.
    I think the squad as is is capable of pushing for the top 4, with some additions it could be challenging.
    I agree with you there!

  10. #1260
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    15,281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    By the sound of it he couldn't get the salary and contract he wanted at Real, which has prompted him to go elsewhere.

    I'm not boiling it down to a single reason, I said him wanting a challenge is probably not his only motivation. Half-a-mill a week is enough to tempt anyone to a new club. £2 million a month is no drop in the ocean. If money wasn't important, he wouldn't push for a mega contract like that. Let's not kids ourselves here. No-one ever stops and says "that's it, I have all the money I need now." Definitely not in today's world anyway.

    For a footballer of his experience and skill I'm not sure the whole moving country thing is as much of a big deal as it would have been when he was 24. It will play a part I'm sure, but not too much, because so much is taken care of off the field for him, and he has been around the block more than enough times to know how to adapt.

    Taking Juve one or two steps further in the CL isn't such a huge challenge when they have the league and cup double usually under their belts, and a team good enough to usually get into the last 4 or 8 at minimum in recent years.

    Ego and his situation with Perez probably played a bigger part in the move than anything else. Which is not to say he's alone in being controlled by his own ego - far from it - but going to a club guaranteed to win trophies every year without any nearby competition (at least Madrid had Barcelona to worry about) isn't that much of a challenge. Neymar done exactly the same and I rarely hear any voices suggesting he's gone there for the 'challenge' of winning the CL with PSG.
    I think it's a combination of factors, but I don't think it was really about money as I said he has that coming out of his ears, the agents are the ones pushing the money more than the players.

    I disagree, moving country for anyone is hard, you leave your family/friends behind and everything thats familiar to you, that's tough in itself never mind the change of environment/culture etc, you can't understate that, plenty of players have move countries and struggled to settle.

    Credit to him for doing that, the easier option would have been to stay in Real because he knows everything there and has proved himself, the pressure at Juve will be huge because he'll be expected to deliver, possibly the CL.

    He's a great player, one that has never been scared to move to another country/club and you have to respect him for that, not many players choose to leave Real Madrid arguably the biggest club in the world.

    Good for Italy, good money for Real though they'll have a job replacing him and good for Ronaldo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •