Page 131 of 322 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    Liverpool had the resources having just received around 140 million from Barca for Countiho.

As PnG implies we don't have that so we have to be conservative with our resources and until we can start rebuilding some value with this squad ....... we're hampered by years of decadence and wastefulness. Letting players value run down by letting their contracts run down, not selling at the right time and simply just letting players rot away through bad management decisions.

For all we laugh at Spurs for having all their players still at the world cup I'll tell you one thing, it's probably increased all their value and if need be, Levy can get even bigger money for the likes of Kane, Trippier etc.
    Exactly. We need to find our way back to being in a position where we can generate that sort of revenue from a player before we start throwing around crazy money. If the new manager has no clue how to defend and we leak a shit load of goals, Oblak's valuation will plummet and it won't be so easy to ask a club to spend £70m.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would always gall me, having to spend that kind of money on a player, especially if I knew we could have got him for a fraction of the price a few years earlier with smarter scouting. Build out Sven’s team with the best in the business, I say, and make it a continuous process...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    Liverpool had the resources having just received around 140 million from Barca for Countiho.

As PnG implies we don't have that so we have to be conservative with our resources and until we can start rebuilding some value with this squad ....... we're hampered by years of decadence and wastefulness. Letting players value run down by letting their contracts run down, not selling at the right time and simply just letting players rot away through bad management decisions.

For all we laugh at Spurs for having all their players still at the world cup I'll tell you one thing, it's probably increased all their value and if need be, Levy can get even bigger money for the likes of Kane, Trippier etc.
    Yes we do. Our transfer budget is the amount we have self delegated to our own budget. It may be or many not be warranted but I don't buy that we can't afford to buy an asset who's value will increase not diminish.

If we don't go after players on the basis of 'why do they want to join our muggy flea bitten little lowly club' how will we ever move forward? Fulham are about to sign Seri!! Fortune favours the ones who just shut up and put they're money where their mouth is at times.
    Last edited by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice; 13-07-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we’re doing fine this window. Deals all done, squad in training.

We’ve got Ozil, Miki, Auba, Bellerin, Rambo...all very good players.

We’ve got a new manager, who seems to be kicking the fuck out of our players in pre-season.

The business we’ve done is exactly what we needed. It’s not the price tag, it’s the player.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Yes we do. Our transfer budget is the amount we have self delegated to our own budget. It may be or many not be warranted but I don't buy that we can't afford to buy an asset who's value will increase not diminish.

If we don't go after players on the basis of 'why do they want to join our muggy flea bitten little lowly club' how will we ever move forward? Fulham are about to sign Seri!! Fortune favours the ones who just shut up and put they're money where their mouth is at times.
    You say that like its a god given fact. Really don't think we're in a position to spunk away 70m (plus his associated wages) on a goalkeeper, even one as good as Oblak. He wont turn us into a force either, we had a lot of holes in the team that needed patching first. We need a few years of rebuilding first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure....if by spunk away you mean slightly stretch our resources on clearly one of the best goalkeepers in the world at the ideal age with no discernible reason why his value should drop over the next few years then yes, spunk is an ideal word.

We shouldn't be expecting any one player to turn us into 'a force' that in itself is not the way to build a team...and I haven't advocated that he is the only player we should sign.

Thinking we will be able to sign him in a few years is a bit like Wenger being at Mbappe's house a few summers ago and thinking....ahh I won't try too hard....I'll just sign him in a few years.

Let me tell you Mbappe will never sign for Arsenal now. Fortunately, we have a world forward now (better late than never) with Aubameyang.... but we signed him knowing he is a world class player, not hoping he'd become one amidst conflicting reports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    70m (plus associated wages) would not “slightly stretch” resources though, in my
    Opinion. Personally I think, It would mean no meaningful other transfers could
    Be made, unless we made some big sales.

You’re saying that there’s no reason he will lose value, implies that his market value by all would be considered the 70m. It would double the transfer record for a keeper. I still think it’s too much for a keeper. Besides I think it’s a moot point as I don’t think he would join us.

And that isn’t the point I was trying to make. I’m
    Not saying we can go back in a couple of years for him. I’m saying we have to face the fact that we’re not a top tier team anymore, we need to build up a base before we can compete for marquee talent. Both in terms of resources and actually being attractive to top talent. That has to be done through shrewd signings and then actually training players up effectively. Do I wish we could just splash the cash and spend 100s of millions (which we would have to if we dropped 70m on a keeper). Sure. But this is not a reality I see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkkreuk View Post
    70m (plus associated wages) would not “slightly stretch” resources though, in my
    Opinion. Personally I think, It would mean no meaningful other transfers could
    Be made, unless we made some big sales.

You’re saying that there’s no reason he will lose value, implies that his market value by all would be considered the 70m. It would double the transfer record for a keeper. I still think it’s too much for a keeper.
    Yes, way too much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. There are aeras of the squad that needed addressing, we 100% shouldn't be spending that kind of money on a goalkeeper.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    I think it would always gall me, having to spend that kind of money on a player, especially if I knew we could have got him for a fraction of the price a few years earlier with smarter scouting. Build out Sven’s team with the best in the business, I say, and make it a continuous process...
    Remains to be seen if we can ever get these top notch players from young, we've not managed it all all in years, new setup now but there's a lot of clubs vying for the top young players who probably have as good if not better scouting systems than us.