Page 135 of 322 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    You know why we haven't signed a top class keeper in years. The same applies to defenders and CM's. We'd still be talking about signing a top striker if not for Lacazette and Aubameyang. How in the world did Spurs beat us to Lloris?
    Wenger didn’t think he was an improvement on what we had at the time! IIRC, we had Chesney as the number 1 along with Manuel butter fingers!

Ill try and dig up the article with those direct quotes from Wenger.

Lloris went to that lot for a price well within our budget too, he was cheap as chips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Talking about keepers and Oblak Liverpool have bid £62 million for Alisson, they clearly think a decent keeper is worth big money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44864358
    They are bringing in the absolute best options available within their budget. We should have been doing stuff like this years ago instead of scraping around the bargain bucket. Now we have no choice, any budget we did have has been blown over the past few years mainly on duds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    No idea! It’s all gone very quiet.

I really hope he stays - his engine will be a real asset if we’re going for an intense, high press, and his ability to effectively double-up as either a third midfielder or a second striker will certainly be useful for those overloads that everyone keeps going on about.

Having said that, I also hope we have a deadline and a backup plan and in mind, if it comes to it.

One positive is that I haven’t heard shit from the player or his agent, agitating for a move away, and there’s been no leaked stories of interest or cryptic farewell tweets.
    Aye, agree with this. I think Ramsey is one player who will profit from Emery’s high press system.

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    I've a feeling that Josh Kroenke would be the replacement.
    Ughh hope not. I mean tbf he does seem like he's eager about the club but he clearly doesn't have the football experience for it. I can see him getting eaten alive by the other CEO's.

Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    That’s the story that’s been painted but we’ve no way of knowing whether it was Kroenke who wanted this structure, or if Josh has been sticking his oar in more.

Kroenke has said plenty of good things because he knows how to play the CEO role to a tee. But he’s delivered nothing. Whether that’s out of his hands or not, who knows. But we sure as hell aren’t challenging with Bayern as he said 5 years ago. We’ll hardly notice he’s gone if he walks.
    tbf it was pretty clear that up until very recently that Wenger was the real CEO at the club so it's to really unfair to judge him for failing to deliver on his past promises when he was hamstrung by being unable to go against the old goat. Assuming he stays though then yes he now has to deliver and be held accountable.

And doubtful. The Kroenke are known for their absenteeism and Josh up until January at least was more focused on their NBA franchise - I doubt he was capable of drawing plans to restructure the club. It's been Ivan as you can see from how front & centre he was in the Unai Emery hiring process and some of the hires he's made (Raul for example was friend of Ivan's who'd worked with him in the past).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Talking about keepers and Oblak Liverpool have bid £62 million for Alisson, they clearly think a decent keeper is worth big money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44864358
    But you must realise Liverpool are in the position of being able to spend their entire transfer budget on a keeper because they have no other obvious weak areas.

It's the one area where they need a significant improvement and what cost them the CL title. They wouldn't blow a budget on the keeper if they didn't have Mane and Salah banging in goals.

We've been in similar positions before like the year we blew the title to Leicester City. We needed a top class striker that year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've signed Shaquiri for 13million, Fabinho for 45 million and Keita for 54 million so with Allison you're looking at closer to 200 million. You might argue that the Keita funds were set aside from last summers kitty, but that touches back upon my view that there's no reason not to view windows in 2's and combine budgets.

Admittedly it doesn't help us that we have been horrible in recent years at selling for big fees or as Selassie points out, spending positively significant sums on chumps like Mustafi and Xhaka who nobody would pay near the price we paid for them now. More reason not to hedge medium/high range sums on players we aren't absolutely sure about.
    Last edited by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice; 17-07-2018 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    70 mil on Mustafi and Xhaka

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    They've signed Shaquiri for 13million, Fabinho for 45 million and Keita for 54 million so with Allison you're looking at closer to 200 million. You might argue that the Keita funds were set aside from last summers kitty, but that touches back upon my view that there's no reason not to view windows in 2's and combine budgets.

Admittedly it doesn't help us that we have been horrible in recent years at selling for big fees or as Selassie points out, spending positively significant sums on chumps like Mustafi and Xhaka who nobody would pay near the price we paid for them now. More reason not to hedge medium/high range sums on players we aren't absolutely sure about.
    Lord knows where you plucked that £100m price tag from for a midfielder. How are Liverpool able to pay half that?

Liverpool have money left over from the Coutinho transfer and if they wanted to, they could choose to blow £70m on a keeper. It's the area they have to strengthen this season. It would be foolish not to. But it looks like they aren't going to spend that money on Oblak and match Atletico Madrid's valuation. I'm also hearing this news about Brazil's keeper is false too. We'll see how much they're willing to spend on a keeper and if they don't spend it on Oblak, why not? I don't know much about Allison or where this price tag came from. See how a market gets inflated? At first we were talking about Oblak being worth £70m because of how good he is. Atletico's valuation has now set other clubs off thinking they have a £50m £60m player on their hands when only a few months back they were valued at £20m - £30m.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you must realise Liverpool are in the position of being able to spend their entire transfer budget on a keeper because they have no other obvious weak areas.

It's the one area where they need a significant improvement and what cost them the CL title. They wouldn't blow a budget on the keeper if they didn't have Mane and Salah banging in goals.

We've been in similar positions before like the year we blew the title to Leicester City. We needed a top class striker that year.
    That's true however they bought other players too, so it's not their whole budget, they've signed players in several positions for decent money, this despite having a smaller stadium, having been in the CL much less etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lord knows where you plucked that £100m price tag from for a midfielder. How are Liverpool able to pay half that?

Liverpool have money left over from the Coutinho transfer and if they wanted to, they could choose to blow £70m on a keeper. It's the area they have to strengthen this season. It would be foolish not to. But it looks like they aren't going to spend that money on Oblak and match Atletico Madrid's valuation. I'm also hearing this news about Brazil's keeper is false too. We'll see how much they're willing to spend on a keeper and if they don't spend it on Oblak, why not? I don't know much about Allison or where this price tag came from. See how a market gets inflated? At first we were talking about Oblak being worth £70m because of how good he is. Atletico's valuation has now set other clubs off thinking they have a £50m £60m player on their hands when only a few months back they were valued at £20m - £30m.
    We've barely spent anything either (before Emery signed those players) because we had 40 million left from last summers sales, yes we spent a bit more for Aubameyang but not a lot, so in theory we should have just as much as Liverpool.

I agree with Blink though, it's a false economy buying mid range players a lot of the time as illustrated by the 70 million wasted on Mustafi and Xhaka, with that we could have signed a top class player who would probably be worth even more now and more importantly would make the team better. Liverpool have sold players for multiple times what they bought them 4, they seem to find top class players left right and centre, which makes me think that Klopp has a real eye for talent as well.