User Tag List

Page 138 of 322 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a 30 goal a season player is going to win you a title more than a world class 'keeper, so arguably the striker is worth more.
    You don't win a title without a good defence but as others have said a world class 'keeper isn't going to save you if he doesn't get the protection from his defence.
    It does make a difference, obviously, but it's not enough on its own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    Is Allison really that good to justify all this?

Granted my only experience of watching Roma is them getting demolished by Liverpool in the CL but he never really stood out much during it. At any rate I agree with PnG, I think a competent GK behind an organised defence is far more important than spunking your entire budget on a possible worldie and then placing him in front of clowns.
    You mean the clowns we have just signed in Sokratis and Litch or others? Why does the defence come before the goalkeeper?

We are an exploding clown car due to no small part the coaching.....so why wait 1-3 years before we consider signing a world class keeper available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Liverpool have gotten things right over the last couple of seasons but they've signed more flops than us over the last 10 years or so. Without question. Also, let's put things into perspective. They haven't won anything. They've only won the League Cup in the last 10 years and have twice missed the mark in European finals. I like their style of play, I like Klopp but let's not go overboard. If the shoe were on the other foot, we'd be talking about 10 years of failure and missing the mark despite having World Class players like Torres, Saurez and Countinho.

You've missed a few questions.
    Yes but that was before Klopp, my point is all about Klopp really, now sure they haven't won anything of note, but in terms of the team they're amazing going forward and have definitely progressed and what's clear is he's addressing the problems with big signings, a top defender and a top keeper.

Sorry here you go

How do you rate Emery? What was your first impression when he was announced. Do you rate him as highly as Klopp
    To be honest I was happy because I didn't want Arteta to come in, so that was a relief, not my first choice but at least I liked what he did with PSG even if he didn't win the CL, I'm hoping he's not against signing big players

If we'd have spent 13m on Shaqiri, what would your reaction be? In fact, is there a Premier League defender with a mid table team you'd be happy to spend £75m on? It's all well and good talking after their a success. Name the players with mid table clubs you think it would be worth spending £40m to £75m on.

I actually rate Shaquiri and think he's a bargain, was very good for Switzerland and always thought he had bags of talent, wanted us to sign him quite a few years ago so I'd be quite happy, he's world class when he performs. I'm not saying we should sign players from the PL, more that we should be able to find these players as well, players I think we should consider are Douglas Costa, Fekir, Kjaer, Draxler, Lozano etc would have considered William Carvalho too before we signed Torreira as thought he was very good for Portugal.

what do you think our transfer budget should be this year
    120 million + anything from player sales

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the best keepers are with clubs that haven't won league titles in ages. It's an important position but I'd treat it like the final piece to the puzzle once you've seen the bigger picture. Pay whatever it takes if that's the final piece to the puzzle but don't start off that way.
    Same can be said about strikers, Kane, Salah, Higuain, Griezmann, not every club can win, but those players certainly increase your chances significantly. I can see your point, but I don't see why we can't do both, sign a worldie and bring in a few others, pretty much what Liverpool are doing (I know the are further on in their progression). We paid what 60 million or so for Auba who is 29 now, on balance whilst he's top striker it's not a very good investment as he probably doesn't have that long left at the top, it's about investing money wisely on players who's value isn't going to drop like a stone in the shorter term as they have lots of years ahead of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Yes but that was before Klopp, my point is all about Klopp really, now sure they haven't won anything of note, but in terms of the team they're amazing going forward and have definitely progressed and what's clear is he's addressing the problems with big signings, a top defender and a top keeper.

Sorry here you go

To be honest I was happy because I didn't want Arteta to come in, so that was a relief, not my first choice but at least I liked what he did with PSG even if he didn't win the CL, I'm hoping he's not against signing big players

I actually rate Shaquiri and think he's a bargain, was very good for Switzerland and always thought he had bags of talent, wanted us to sign him quite a few years ago so I'd be quite happy, he's world class when he performs. I'm not saying we should sign players from the PL, more that we should be able to find these players as well, players I think we should consider are Douglas Costa, Fekir, Kjaer, Draxler, Lozano etc would have considered William Carvalho too before we signed Torreira as thought he was very good for Portugal.

120 million + anything from player sales
    If Liverpool go another season without a trophy, would that be considered a failure?

Fair enough on Emery. I was skeptical at first but have high hopes. Saying that, I still wouldn't roll out the red carpet when it comes to the transfer funds just yet. We've seen what he can do with a small budget but not so sure about big budget spending.

On that last point, if you think we have £120m and should spend £70m on a player like Oblak, that leaves us with £50m. At best, we could still sign Torreira and Sokartis. We wouldn't be able to afford a younger CB at that sort of quality. William Carvalho would probably cost a little more than Torriera. We'd have to forget about signing a winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Liverpool go another season without a trophy, would that be considered a failure?

Fair enough on Emery. I was skeptical at first but have high hopes. Saying that, I still wouldn't roll out the red carpet when it comes to the transfer funds just yet. We've seen what he can do with a small budget but not so sure about big budget spending.

On that last point, if you think we have £120m and should spend £70m on a player like Oblak, that leaves us with £50m. At best, we could still sign Torreira and Sokartis. We wouldn't be able to afford a younger CB at that sort of quality. William Carvalho would probably cost a little more than Torriera. We'd have to forget about signing a winger.
    Given the competition, no, if they challenge that's good enough, I think the Van Dijk, Keita, Alisson and Fabinho strengthen them a lot but they're still a work in progress. Might take a bit of time to gel but on paper their team is looking very strong indeed.

120 millon plus players sales, i.e a combination of Xhaka, Mustafi, Welbeck, Ospina or Cech, Campbell, Perez, Iwobi, Chambers, Akpom, Jenkinson should bring in a nice sum to spend on a few more new faces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the current strategy we've covered all our basis, but I do not expect every one of those 4/5 signings to be a resounding success and the point of getting them all in now is so they can make an impact over the coming season.

Covering all the areas we need is not the full story anyway as one or two of them are short termish solutions that will require revisiting shortly .... so had we put a lump sum on Oblak, brought in Torreira, Litchensteiner on a free, tried our luck with a loan move for Dembele. Then recoup the money from selling Xhaka and Mustafi to Juventus and use that for a CB. That lot might have left the squad better than what we currently have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    With the current strategy we've covered all our basis, but I do not expect every one of those 4/5 signings to be a resounding success and the point of getting them all in now is so they can make an impact over the coming season.

Covering all the areas we need is not the full story anyway as one or two of them are short termish solutions that will require revisiting shortly .... so had we put a lump sum on Oblak, brought in Torreira, Litchensteiner on a free, tried our luck with a loan move for Dembele. Then recoup the money from selling Xhaka and Mustafi to Juventus and use that for a CB. That lot might have left the squad better than what we currently have.
    If we decide not to sell Xhaka and Mustafi I'd be very disappointed, not good enough and we should be selling them to raise money for better players.

Torreira is a fantastic signing I think, the others I'm not sure about, with Leno hard to judge, he might turn out good but his stock is low at the moment, didn't even make the German World Cup squad (so he's not even considered in the top 3 in Germany at the moment), Sokratis is decent but his age and the fact he's slow concerns me, Lichsteiner is a backup and for free you can't argue with that. The young French player is one for the future and supposedly is very talented, will be interesting to watch him.

So overall satisfied but I just think we need to shift some of the deadwood and bring in another worldie on the wing (shame we missed out on Douglas Costa).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ll surely have to shift someone on? The squad looks a little bloated at the moment, with too many GKs, CBs and Welbeck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    If we decide not to sell Xhaka and Mustafi I'd be very disappointed, not good enough and we should be selling them to raise money for better players.

Torreira is a fantastic signing I think, the others I'm not sure about, with Leno hard to judge, he might turn out good but his stock is low at the moment, didn't even make the German World Cup squad (so he's not even considered in the top 3 in Germany at the moment), Sokratis is decent but his age and the fact he's slow concerns me, Lichsteiner is a backup and for free you can't argue with that. The young French player is one for the future and supposedly is very talented, will be interesting to watch him.

So overall satisfied but I just think we need to shift some of the deadwood and bring in another worldie on the wing (shame we missed out on Douglas Costa).
    I'd hold off from selling Xhaka and Mustafi in this window. Curious to see if Emery can get a bit more out of them compared to Wenger. I highly doubt we'll recoup what we paid for either if we sell now. They're probably valued at £15m to £25m as it stands.

Reports say we're planning on selling some players. That wouldn't surprise me. We've got a lot of players that we have to get rid of. Jenkinson, Campbell is still an Arsenal player, one of Ospina, Cech or Martinez has to go, Welbeck, Asano, Perez and Iwobi could go. I like Iwobi but have serious doubt about his end product. I can't see him featuring a lot for us this season if he doesn't impose himself in the final third.