Page 143 of 322 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I think the transition of top attacking players is a lot less tricky for top goalkeepers.

I don't think that all players will retain their value.....but there are a select few who failing a 'force majeure' almost certainly will.

Even if a player like Mbappe doesn't turn out to be the second coming of Henry and isn't a once in a generation player after all...he will retain his value for some time because of both his age and what he has done to date.
    One bad experience or one bad injury can change all that. It's a risk all players face but we're heading into flawed territory if we start thinking such huge transfer fees will hold their value because we're guaranteed to get x amount of years in top quality service. Football never works like that. Imagine we dumped £80m on Wilshere, Ox or Diaby?

To me, you should only ever invest that much if you feel the player will potentially recoup what you spent through what he brings to the pitch or shirt sales and advertising money.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a laughable fee for a keeper, tbh, before Liverpool were in from him, whose name hasn’t ever been mentioned.

By anyone
    Last edited by KSE Comedy Club; 20-07-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    One bad experience or one bad injury can change all that. It's a risk all players face but we're heading into flawed territory if we start thinking such huge transfer fees will hold their value because we're guaranteed to get x amount of years in top quality service. Football never works like that. Imagine we dumped £80m on Wilshere, Ox or Diaby?

To me, you should only ever invest that much if you feel the player will potentially recoup what you spent through what he brings to the pitch or shirt sales and advertising money.
    Keepers don't often get bad injuries to be fair, it's quite rare. Blink is right though, age plays a part, paying loads for an outfield player is riskier in my opinion they're much more affected by players around them being outfield players, despite that though I'd be happy for us to sign a top class player for big money, there's alway a risk but generally they work out.

Liverpool haven't gone into this blindly, they've signed him on the basis of what they feel his is, top class I guess. They took a risk with Mane, Salah, Van Dijk but it's worked out well so far, they seem to know what they're doing.

As I said it wouldn't be my choice, that would be Oblak for me, but they must have done their homework and as mentioned he's keeper Ederson out of the Brazil team who is top class, so they aren't the only ones to rate him.

That's fair enough, what's clear is Liverpool are banking on success bringing the money in and to be fair they aren't fair off, a successful team makes huge amounts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Keepers don't often get bad injuries to be fair, it's quite rare. Blink is right though, age plays a part, paying loads for an outfield player is riskier in my opinion they're much more affected by players around them being outfield players, despite that though I'd be happy for us to sign a top class player for big money, there's alway a risk but generally they work out.

Liverpool haven't gone into this blindly, they've signed him on the basis of what they feel his is, top class I guess. They took a risk with Mane, Salah, Van Dijk but it's worked out well so far, they seem to know what they're doing.

As I said it wouldn't be my choice, that would be Oblak for me, but they must have done their homework and as mentioned he's keeper Ederson out of the Brazil team who is top class, so they aren't the only ones to rate him.

That's fair enough, what's clear is Liverpool are banking on success bringing the money in and to be fair they aren't fair off, a successful team makes huge amounts.
    We're not talking about property here. Besides injury, what happens if the player doesn't get along with his teammates, coach or can't adapt to life in Liverpool. When news gets out that a player wants to leave and won't sign a new contract, the valuation plummets. If the club start performing badly and the player wants out and is prepared to run down his contract.

God knows why it's one rule for Liverpool but another for us. Also, you guys are forgetting that you can only ever have one keeper as your number one and since they tend to play for a lot longer than outfield players, where the heck is he going to go to if all the top clubs around already have a top notch keeper? You can't adjust the formation to have two keepers on the pitch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're not talking about property here. Besides injury, what happens if the player doesn't get along with his teammates, coach or can't adapt to life in Liverpool. When news gets out that a player wants to leave and won't sign a new contract, the valuation plummets. If the club start performing badly and the player wants out and is prepared to run down his contract.

God knows why it's one rule for Liverpool but another for us. Also, you guys are forgetting that you can only ever have one keeper as your number one and since they tend to play for a lot longer than outfield players, where the heck is he going to go to if all the top clubs around already have a top notch keeper? You can't adjust the formation to have two keepers on the pitch!
    How often does that happen, it does happen but not a lot, as for plumetting value, they've signed him on a 6 year contract so that's unlikely.

Loris, De Gea, Courtois they don't seem to have a problem either staying at their club or finding other suitors, Buffon was signed for a huge fortune and yet he was worth every penny.

It's not not rule for Liverpool, they go in and spend the necessary, no messing about, if they need a keeper and identify him they pay the market value or move on that's how they work, it's how most of the big clubs work, that's why they sign top players with relevatively little fuss.

You never have a problem selling one on, if it didn't work out it would be cut price obviously, but I would think Liverpool will persist with him seeing as they've spent so much.

Personally have no issue payig big money for top notch talent, rather that than 30-35 million on players who are middle of the road, like Xkaka and Mustafi, yes ideally we would uncover talent, but let's be honest there's only a small chance of that happening, I know we've brought these two guys from Dortmund and Barcelona, but as I said before maybe it worked for them due to the right combination of people, they wouldn't have been the only ones finding players and signing them up, a top clubs scouting system is vast, it doesn't rely on one person, so whist there's a chance they might be the answer we might find in a few years time they aren't quite doing what they were doing at their former clubs.

Rather than relying on some magic wand we should live in the here and now and realise we need quality now rather than basing our strategy on what might possibly happen in the future, these guys are here to find players over time, players to add to our already strong team not to build a team from players plucked out of obscurity overnight (which will never happen). In all likelyness whilst we might have the odd one or two work out, there'll probably be a dozen that don't.

Here's the BBCs' assessment of Alisson:

But, judging by Alisson's performances for Roma last season, it seems entirely fair. The Brazil international wasn't just considered the best player in his position in Serie A, but the best in any position, such was his influence on Roma's play and results.

Alisson didn't just stop goals. He set them up. He played defence-splitting passes, inch-perfect long balls, completed more dribbles than a whole host of outfield players, and embarrassed opposition strikers with backheels under pressure and a 'sombrero' against Crotone.

At no point did Alisson's tricks cause a quick intake of breath or create a sense of panic. His actions were not frivolous. They were essential. The right decision under the circumstances.

Watch Alisson perform any of the skills listed above and you will not see a showman with a professional death wish, but a self-assured goalkeeper who has earned the complete trust of his team. "He's the goalkeeper of the future," Roma manager Eusebio di Francesco said. The evolution of the species in his position.

At least that is how Alisson is perceived in Serie A, where he distinguished himself as the most convincing interpreter of the sweeper-keeper role Italy has seen since Manuel Neuer made that style the benchmark by which goalkeepers are now judged.

Alisson rushed off his line and cleared the ball 41 times this season. To put that into perspective, the next best goalkeeper in Italy when it comes to sweeping was Pepe Reina - he managed 20. Alisson proved crucial in enabling Roma to play with an aggressive high line in defence.

For all the attributes that mark Alisson out as a thoroughly modern goalkeeper, it is the old-fashioned stuff that makes him a traditionalist's favourite as well. Tall and broad shouldered, he has an imposing frame and can seem like a magnet for the ball.

Alisson made 109 saves last season and was the only goalkeeper in Serie A with a shots saved percentage of 79% or higher. Limit that to attempts inside the box and his record is the best in Italy over the past five years.

More impressively, Opta's advance metrics show that given the quality of chances Alisson faced, the average goalkeeper would have conceded 36.31 goals. Alisson is no ordinary goalkeeper. He allowed just 28; a difference of eight, the biggest in Serie A.

As Roma and Edin Dzeko did not score as freely as they had done the previous season, his interventions assumed greater significance. Some were jaw-dropping.

Alisson's first Champions League game of the season set the tone for the rest of the campaign. Roma were out-played by Atletico Madrid but held out for a 0-0 draw thanks to a goalkeeper who made nine saves.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44875174
    Last edited by Özim; 20-07-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, find an opinion piece on Xhaka before we signed him. He was supposed to be the second coming of Xabi Alonso after the season he had in Germany.

Looking forwards to seeing this new Liverpool keeper if he has all the above in his locker. But without question, this is a risky signing. The only difference is that it's Klopp and not Wenger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, find an opinion piece on Xhaka before we signed him. He was supposed to be the second coming of Xabi Alonso after the season he had in Germany.

Looking forwards to seeing this new Liverpool keeper if he has all the above in his locker. But without question, this is a risky signing. The only difference is that it's Klopp and not Wenger.
    Let's be honest though, Xhaka was a nobody, I was very sceptical about him signing, we've seen what he's about a very limited player.

Alisson plays for a team who played in the CL and got to the semis and serie A has some very good keepers, but yes you're right it is Klopp and not Wenger and the former certainly has a better eye for talent than the latter so I would trust his judgment far more.

Time will tell of course but as it always is with players like this, if they turn out to be top class they then look like a bargain at the end of it, speculate to accumulate and all that. Seems to me Liverpool back their manager and are always willing to take a punt on players, hence the reason they always seem to find top players for modest amounts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't say the value being retained is anything like a cast iron guarantee and I actually don't think that is even the main reason we should sign him.

Money aside I think he's the 2nd best goalkeeper in the world. It's just my personal view, but I think that sets him aside in terms of the how risk averse a buyer should be.

Wilshere, Ox and Diaby were injury plagued young hopefuls, whereas Oblak is mid 20's, world class with a near flawless injury record.

I was annoyed we allowed Wilshere to leave at it was. Imagine if he was a proven
    top 5 world class midfielder with a flawless injury record. I'd burn the ground down for allowing him to walk!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Let's be honest though, Xhaka was a nobody, I was very sceptical about him signing, we've seen what he's about a very limited player.

Alisson plays for a team who played in the CL and got to the semis and serie A has some very good keepers, but yes you're right it is Klopp and not Wenger and the former certainly has a better eye for talent than the latter so I would trust his judgment far more.

Time will tell of course but as it always is with players like this, if they turn out to be top class they then look like a bargain at the end of it, speculate to accumulate and all that. Seems to me Liverpool back their manager and are always willing to take a punt on players, hence the reason they always seem to find top players for modest amounts.
    You had no idea who this keeper was before Liverpool signed him. He was never on your radar as a player to sign. It's only because Liverpool have paid a huge sum that you now rate him.

Fact check, dude. Xhaka has more Champions League experience than Alisson. For Basel as well as Borussia Monch. He was captain in Germany and helped Borussia rise from 8th to Champs League 3rd and 4th place finishes.

We've only seen that he's absolutely shit because we've seen him play week in week out. Same useless criteria you're judging this keeper on can be applied to Xhaka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I don't say the value being retained is anything like a cast iron guarantee and I actually don't think that is even the main reason we should sign him.

Money aside I think he's the 2nd best goalkeeper in the world. It's just my personal view, but I think that sets him aside in terms of the how risk averse a buyer should be.

Wilshere, Ox and Diaby were injury plagued young hopefuls, whereas Oblak is mid 20's, world class with a near flawless injury record.

I was annoyed we allowed Wilshere to leave at it was. Imagine if he was a proven
    top 5 world class midfielder with a flawless injury record. I'd burn the ground down for allowing him to walk!!!
    I use the Wilshere, Diaby and Ox examples to show how an injuries can change a players trajectory.