Page 146 of 322 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Talk of Iwobi getting a new contract, must admit I don't get what's going on with contracts and players who haven't performed, we seem to be giving them out left, right and centre when we should be selling some of these guys to bring in better quality players.
    We've got to give the new dude time to work with these players. Iowbi looked really useful to start with. Fuck knows what happened, but his development definitely stalled at the start of last season....I think we all know why.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    We've got to give the new dude time to work with these players. Iowbi looked really useful to start with. Fuck knows what happened, but his development definitely stalled at the start of last season....I think we all know why.
    Because he's black?

Hmm, yes, agreed.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iwobi is young enough to persist with for another couple of seasons, he’s shown some glimpses of ability. Really want to see more aggression and end product from him in the final third, he’s like a blunt knife at the moment.

Didn’t bode well though that he couldn’t even get into the Nigeria team at the World Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Iwobi is young enough to persist with for another couple of seasons, he’s shown some glimpses of ability. Really want to see more aggression and end product from him in the final third, he’s like a blunt knife at the moment.

Didn’t bode well though that he couldn’t even get into the Nigeria team at the World Cup.
    I think there is a player in there, but like a lot of our youngsters in recent times...their development has stalled.

I think it's worth keeping him around and seeing how he progresses this coming season. Emery obviously sees something in him.

Emery has a group of young players to work with who I believe all have a lot of potential...Iwobi is in that group, along with Chambers, Bellerin and the younger ones like Maitland-Niles and Nelson. I am hoping we will have a clear idea by the end of the season whether these guys are progressing or whether they need to be binned.

One thing I will say is that Emery has no emotional ties to these guys and will obviously be judged on a results only basis so I expect him to be a lot more cut throat with his decision making regarding the squad and underachieving players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy to see Iwobi given a chance. Great balance on the ball which reminds me of Jack and Rosicky but he’s no winger. Classic Wenger move. Rosicky and Jack wasted a lot of time playing out wide. When the team clicks and everything runs smoothly, it pays off but they’ll struggle to influence the game if the teams struggling.

Hoping Unai can get more out of Iwobi if he’s getting a new contract. He should be developed as a CM. Within the same vein as Modric/Cazorla/Rosicky. No idea if he’ll get the playing time but he has talent. Dribbling, control, balance all top notch. Just strikes me as another Wenger candidate that spend too long playing 5 aside in training and hasn’t developed core skills beyond what you’ll learn during those 5 aside sessions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk of Iwobi getting a new contract, must admit I don't get what's going on with contracts and players who haven't performed, we seem to be giving them out left, right and centre when we should be selling some of these guys to bring in better quality players.
    Probably the homegrown rule more than anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Happy to see Iwobi given a chance. Great balance on the ball which reminds me of Jack and Rosicky but he’s no winger. Classic Wenger move. Rosicky and Jack wasted a lot of time playing out wide. When the team clicks and everything runs smoothly, it pays off but they’ll struggle to influence the game if the teams struggling.

Hoping Unai can get more out of Iwobi if he’s getting a new contract. He should be developed as a CM. Within the same vein as Modric/Cazorla/Rosicky. No idea if he’ll get the playing time but he has talent. Dribbling, control, balance all top notch. Just strikes me as another Wenger candidate that spend too long playing 5 aside in training and hasn’t developed core skills beyond what you’ll learn during those 5 aside sessions.
    Was thinking the same - looks more of a CM being played in all the wrong place. Needs a role where the game is in front of him, and where his list of core responsibilities are more suited to his strengths (e.g. balance, control, carrying the ball forward) rather than his weaknesses (critical, quick decision making in the final 3rd). He's got a bit of presence about him too - may need a crash course in tactics and defending (same as everyone in the squad, tbh), but the raw ingredients are there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it's all about control - can still sell them down the line if we choose to, but we need to make sure it's our choice.

Besides, if we let them go now, after their form has been erratic and their deals are low, then we're not going to get much for them - give them a year of proper coaching, another season of games to boost their reputations and longer contracts and we might actually get a respectable fee for them if we still want to get rid!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Was thinking the same - looks more of a CM being played in all the wrong place. Needs a role where the game is in front of him, and where his list of core responsibilities are more suited to his strengths (e.g. balance, control, carrying the ball forward) rather than his weaknesses (critical, quick decision making in the final 3rd). He's got a bit of presence about him too - may need a crash course in tactics and defending (same as everyone in the squad, tbh), but the raw ingredients are there...
    Raw ingredients are definitely there. Will be interesting to see how much game time he gets this season and where he gets played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ust be really struggling to shift the unwanted players as so far noone has been sold. Even if we have to give them away for next to nothing it's better than continuing to pay their wages, would be good to get some money.

Welbeck, Xhaka, Mustafi, Chambers, Iwobi, Perez, Campbell, Akpom, Holding, Ospina, Cech, Elneny, Jenkinson, take your pick of any of those!