Page 156 of 322 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206256 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Ramsey is injury prone and hasn't had a injury free season since 2012. He's 27 and things are pretty quiet for him on the transfer front. Fans are getting carried with this proposed resale value because we once upon a time the press reported a story of Barca wanting him for £50m. Outside of that, there has been no talk of any other club wanting him past or present for serious money. He's a £30m player. If we'd have no problem selling him, why have we not heard of anyone else besides Chelsea making a bid?
    So were half of our squad with Wenger in charge, be interesting to see how that changes now. 27 but Chelsea are interested and Barca were as well, that's two top clubs, clearly they must see something in him as well.

Right now people know they can get him on a free next summer, why would they pay 30 million, that's the way I'd be seeing it, paying big money for a player out of contract in a year is a waste IMO, last summer only City came in for Alexis, does that make him a bad player?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    My thoughts on Ramsey as that he has a decent amount of talent, as he's shown when playing for Wales and also in flashes for us, he's scored some cracking goals.

He's had one good season and not maintained it, but I feel Wenger has to take a lot of the blame with his training regimes and also the way he used him, used in the right way he got be very useful for us.

I won't be devastated if he leaves, but losing him cut price would bug me, we shouldn't be losing players like this anymore, nor should we be waiting around until the end of the window when he has just a year left.

If we lost him I'd want us to spend the money for sure, in my eyes we should have cut our losses on Xhaka (probably wouldn't have got more than 10 million for him if we were lucky), I don't see how he can play in the team, he can't defend and can't attack, so how will he feature at all? At least Ramsey has clear strengths in that he likes to get forward and with Torreira it might allow him to do that.
    You didn't have that sort of energy for Walcott despite him scoring more goals than Ramsey and having more than just one good season.

Also, Iwobi is still young, a more polished technical player than Ramsey in terms of dribbling, control and passing. Has suffered under Wenger's poor too but he's written off as a nothing player. But Ramsey has talent? Besides his running, he has no clear strengths. He's not even that clinical in front of goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't have that sort of energy for Walcott despite him scoring more goals than Ramsey and having more than just one good season.

Also, Iwobi is still young, a more polished technical player than Ramsey in terms of dribbling, control and passing. Has suffered under Wenger's poor too but he's written off as a nothing player. But Ramsey has talent? Besides his running, he has no clear strengths. He's not even that clinical in front of goal.
    You're right of course, but I'll be honest and say I thought he was rubbish right from the start, no skill, no footballing brain, just a speed merchant and thats how it turned out

Iwobi I'm not overly impressed with either, can be a decent player but will never be world class IMO, so if we'd sold him I wouldn't have been fussed, he's another one from our youth policy, like countless others that IMO probably won't make it (Akpom is about to be sold for 1m to a Greek club incidentally). You can't really compare Iwobi with Ramsey as they're different players, Ramsey makes some decent touches, but primarily it's his runs and attacking instinct that are his strengths. I've seen enough from him in the past and for Wales to see that he could be a very good goalscoring midfielder if used in the right way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So were half of our squad with Wenger in charge, be interesting to see how that changes now. 27 but Chelsea are interested and Barca were as well, that's two top clubs, clearly they must see something in him as well.

Right now people know they can get him on a free next summer, why would they pay 30 million, that's the way I'd be seeing it, paying big money for a player out of contract in a year is a waste IMO, last summer only City came in for Alexis, does that make him a bad player?
    It was reported that Man City bid £60m for Sanchez with just one year on his contract. Come January he was still being linked with clubs for a £30m move. He was being linked with PSG, Liverpool, Chelsea and Bayern. But the point is, with just one year left on his deal, he was still being linked to a major money move. That's not the case for Ramsey. If a club want you they won't risk a free transfer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who comes in if Ramsey goes out then? Do we go big, or will it be another leftfield signing that no one sees coming?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Who comes in if Ramsey goes out then? Do we go big, or will it be another leftfield signing that no one sees coming?
    promote from within, give AMN more game time or one of the other young midfielders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This summer we could have had any of Max Meyer, Golovin, Seri, Moutinho and Nzonzi, Lemar, koulibaly and Oblak,yet people keep saying we can't compete. We can compete.....it's down to us as a club to make a mixture of definitively quality signings with measured gambles.

I don't even rate all of those as much as some but if we the unenlightened fans can pick a few players to improve us and spur us on, the club should be able to.

We've also had the benefit of most of our players back in good time for preseason. If we fail to get into the top 4 it will be on the current regime, not Wenger. Whatever we decide to do with Ramsey it better all work out in the end. We've had plenty of time with this one.
    Last edited by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice; 30-07-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    This summer we could have had any of Max Meyer, Golovin, Seri, Moutinho and Nzonzi, Lemar, koulibaly and Oblak,yet people keep saying we can't compete. We can compete.....it's down to us as a club to make a mixture of definitively quality signings with measured gambles.

I don't even rate all of those as much as some but if we the unenlightened fans can pick a few players to improve us and spur us on, the club should be able to.

We've also had the benefit of most of our players back in good time for preseason. If we fail to get into the top 4 it will be on the current regime, not Wenger. Whatever we decide to do with Ramsey it better all work out in the end. We've had plenty of time with this one.
    We’ve got a midfield imbalance to solve if we plan on playing a 3 man midfield. Xhaka, Ramsey and Ozil shouldn’t start in the midfield together. In fact, a combination where two out of the three start together shouldn’t happen. All three of the fuckers need support players around them to compensate for their weaknesses and we don’t have enough players on the pitch to solve that. They don’t complement each other and what they offer as individual players is lopsided. Ozil – Assists, Xhaka – Long range passes, Ramsey – Goals. All three are weak on defence and helping to dictate the tempo of a game with build-up play.

Saying that, we have just signed Lucas Torreira. I mentioned Guendouzi. AMN should get a run. Elneny is underrated. I think Iwobi should play a central role. I think we have the DM and CM positions covered even if we sell Ramsey. My main concern comes back to the wide positions, creative players and strikers. I guess we may see youth players getting game time plus Mkhitartan can play as the 10 or out wide. Same goes for Iwobi.

I really have no idea what the set up will be this season or how Emery will deal with rotation. How do you see us lining up this season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UEFA said a couple years back they regretted selling the CL rights to BT and wished they'd kept it on terrestrial TV due to the huge difference in audience numbers, so I doubt BT will get it next time round.
    I remember they said that. But that didn't stop Uefa from renewing the deal for £1.2bn with BT. With BT increasing prices and now announcing the loss of NBA and UFC, they may lose customers. Their broadband and TV service aren't great from what I've heard. They've laid off thousands of workers for this. Seems like a nutty strategy that's not sustainable and will hurt them in the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember they said that. But that didn't stop Uefa from renewing the deal for £1.2bn with BT. With BT increasing prices and now announcing the loss of NBA and UFC, they may lose customers. Their broadband and TV service aren't great from what I've heard. They've laid off thousands of workers for this. Seems like a nutty strategy that's not sustainable and will hurt them in the long run.
    BT CEO has left as well and it was his brainchild the Sports expansion and don't think shareholders are happy with the outlay when the money could have been spent on improving service and infrastructure.