User Tag List

Page 168 of 322 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218268 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think it will be almost impossible to do at this stage, the Spanish clubs haven't found it so easy to get the players they want this summer, Real and still without anyone and Barca haven't really gone for big players (until now if you believe it).

IMO Man U won't sell because they won't have time to replace him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    I have a feeling we’ll have another look at defense next summer - if you ask me, this summer’s defensive business (not including the two DMs) looks to be mostly about stabilising the back line, and buying Emery a year to get a proper read on Chambers, Holding, Mavro’s, Bellerin and Kolasinac. (That and getting the focus and mindset in the group right).

GK could go either way. We’re obviously hoping that Leno has it in him to be our new no.1 for a lot of years, but if it doesn’t work out that way then I think we’ll be looking for another keeper within a year or two anyway, once Cech finally hangs up his gloves. We’ll get a second chance to get that one right, if we need it.

To be honest, I’m not expecting Emery’s ideas and his vision for the side to start really coming together until the new year anyway, so I’m kind of easy about the ambitious investment until it does...
    Aye, agreed with all of this.

I am slightly worried about Leno and Central Defence to an extent....I do have faith in Mavro to develop and for Chambers to have a solid season at Fulham.

I don't rate Mustafi at all to be honest, I am not even sure he would excel in a more stable system but we will see. Sokratis is a decent enough player but I have reservations about him too, new to PL...not overly mobile. Kos is more or less a write off IMO. Holding a back up...though he can develop at a slow pace.

Yeah I am with you on Emery really getting the team to play in his style...it will take a while for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    That depends on who it is and ultimately what his contrition is. People complain if the player doesn't justify the outlay, but if he does, it is money well spent.

If Sokratis and co don't improve us, that will also be money wasted. If the player doesn't make a meaningful contribution or improve the squad, then at the end of the day it's money wasted whether it's 10 million or 60 million+.
    Fair do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Bearing in mind we signed him up on a new contract, I was expecting him to stay and if anything send holding out, seems not.

As for our CB options, we have the Greek guy (who got himself sent off pretty early in his career with us), Holding, Mustafi and Sokratis, the latter will obviously play but with him we basically have to play either the error prone Mustafi (rumours that he might be sold flying around) or some inexperienced kid and if we get an injury to Sokratis we're in trouble. Koscielny won't be back until at the earliest the end of the year so this is a risky step IMO.
    I get the impression that Emery rates Chambers quite highly but not enough for him to be a legitimate starter right now. I think he wants to give Chambers a season out on loan so he gets regular game time. We can also assess his performance and make a decision next summer.

If Chambers has a good season then he will arguably come back as a starter for us.

I personally think Mavro the greek guy could be knocking on the door as a starter if either of Mustafi or Sokratis have a poor run of games.

I get the impression Holding is happy to develop at a slower rate and just get games here and there, that's where he is in his development phase...Chambers is further ahead IMO and so too is Mavro in the sense that he seems to be really highly rated at the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk that Chelsea will go for Oblak if they lose Courtois, hope not the guy is a world beater.
    If that's the case and I was a Chelsea fan. I'd drive him to the airport myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Fair do.
    I meant contribution rather than contrition which I'm sure you gathered!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think it will be almost impossible to do at this stage, the Spanish clubs haven't found it so easy to get the players they want this summer, Real and still without anyone and Barca haven't really gone for big players (until now if you believe it).

IMO Man U won't sell because they won't have time to replace him.
    I reckon Fred could replace him tbf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Mav was highly rated and high in the pecking order....but he hasn't played that much this preseason, so God knows where they see him in the order of things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also not sure what the sense would be in signing Vida to add to Sokratis?

Two CB's with no resale value and questionable quality for around 50 million. Might as well just go out and try to sign a top centre half at a good age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Also not sure what the sense would be in signing Vida to add to Sokratis?

Two CB's with no resale value and questionable quality for around 50 million. Might as well just go out and try to sign a top centre half at a good age.
    Agreed, doesn't make sense he's also almost 30, use the money elsewhere and more wisely.