Page 174 of 322 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    It just takes one transfer and one club to pay up to change the whole market.
    I blame Pogba and Utd
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    I blame Pogba and Utd
    Yep. Around 2016 and 2017 things went nuts with Man Utd and Mourinho being the core culprits. Add Juve in there as well. What Utd paid for Pogba for Juve to then go on to pay for Higuain was stupid. That then inflated the market for every and any striker including bums like Lukaku, another Utd signing. Yep, it's that c*nt Mourinho again. The ripple effect. It changed the striker market and fees just haven't been the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no such thing as a ‘going rate’ and it doesn’t always equate to quality. This Kepa guy wasn’t mentioned last week when we were talking about the best goalkeepers in football. Information is still king. Chelsea must have some serious scouts and stats to back up that transfer fee. But as seen with Mustfai and Xhaka, the tide will also rise for bang average players and those that aren’t even close to being the best. That is my point.

Monaco, Dortmund, Liverpool, Southampton and Athletic Bilbao because they’ve managed sign unknown players for peanuts and sell them on for world record fees despite none of them even being mentioned as the best in their position.
    The going rate is whatever the market dictates, in the case of top goalkeeper 60-70 million. Kepa is Spanish number 2 (behind arguably the best keeper in the world De Gea) so we might not know him but clearly in Spain they do and I'm sure Chelse have plenty of scouting.

More often than not it does though, yes there are some who don't but often you when you pay big bucks you get quality.

That's bad for us yes as that seems to be what we've been focussed on for years, rather than spending extra and getting top quality we're settle for 2nd/3rd tier which actually statistically speaking for us has proved much higher risk, we've ended up with duds that cost a fair amount rather than spending that and a bit more and getting the finished artilce.

There's no defending this buy cheap policy anymore, it's a fals economy, we've failed with it time and time again, the money we shelled out would have been better spent on the best, we'd most likely be a far better side for it. This club does have a record of settling for 2nd best over the years which also reflects on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It started before that though,Chelsea were buying up the opposition at one point to stick them on the bench and inflating prices. City have player their part, not to mention the money that the PL gets now, no wonder foreign clubs say 'if you want him, you can delve into that considerable pot you have, or do one.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Around 2016 and 2017 things went nuts with Man Utd and Mourinho being the core culprits. Add Juve in there as well. What Utd paid for Pogba for Juve to then go on to pay for Higuain was stupid. That then inflated the market for every and any striker including bums like Lukaku, another Utd signing. Yep, it's that c*nt Mourinho again. The ripple effect. It changed the striker market and fees just haven't been the same.
    I think what changed the market was the TV deals, too much money for clubs. If a club decides they want a player at any cost that's up to them, besides Man U always paid big money for players, Ferdinand back in the day for 30 million was a prime example, Chelsea and Man City came in and paid megabucks too.

Not being funny you still have a choice, noone would have signed Mustafi or Xhaka for 30-35 million, they were duds.
    Last edited by Özim; 10-08-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    I think what changed the market was the TV deals, too much money for clubs. If a club decides they want a player at any cost that's up to them, besides Man U always paid big money for players, Ferdinand back in the day for 30 million was a prime example, Chelsea and Man City came in and paid megabucks too.

I just said that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /QUOTE]
    Not being funny you still have a choice, noone would have signed Mustafi or Xhaka for 30-35 million, they were duds.[/QUOTE]

That is totally true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The going rate is whatever the market dictates, in the case of top goalkeeper 60-70 million. Kepa is Spanish number 2 (behind arguably the best keeper in the world De Gea) so we might not know him but clearly in Spain they do and I'm sure Chelse have plenty of scouting.

More often than not it does though, yes there are some who don't but often you when you pay big bucks you get quality.

That's bad for us yes as that seems to be what we've been focussed on for years, rather than spending extra and getting top quality we're settle for 2nd/3rd tier which actually statistically speaking for us has proved much higher risk, we've ended up with duds that cost a fair amount rather than spending that and a bit more and getting the finished artilce.

There's no defending this buy cheap policy anymore, it's a fals economy, we've failed with it time and time again, the money we shelled out would have been better spent on the best, we'd most likely be a far better side for it. This club does have a record of settling for 2nd best over the years which also reflects on the pitch.
    So Morata and Lukaku are top top top quality strikers based on their price tag? This is how teams get got.

I'm not hearing this from you of all people either. Sorry. It's a double standard. If Arsenal sign an unknown player for a hefty price tag, it's met with cynicism (Xhaka). There is no way we'd be able to get away with spending above that sort of fee for players you haven't heard of or for players you see in lower league Premier League clubs like Everton and Southampton.

What's nuts is that there seems to be no bidding war for some of these players. It's not as if they're in high demand and clubs are clamoring for the new star. It's now to the point where clubs are slapping on a too good to say no to price first time around just so the selling club agrees to sell with little fuss. Again, I think we'd all be comfortable with this approach if we knew the current manager has a great record with knowing what sort of players he wants but that's not what's happening in football these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not being funny you still have a choice, noone would have signed Mustafi or Xhaka for 30-35 million, they were duds.
    See my above post. Exactly. Seeing our record in the window, there is no way you'd feel comfortable spending way above that sort of money on players you've never heard of playing for small clubs especially when there is no bidding war from other clubs to sign them. That's exactly what we've seen during this market, especially with the keepers. Two World Records broken on young keepers that would never have featured on your top keeper target list a month ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my above post. Exactly. Seeing our record in the window, there is no way you'd feel comfortable spending way above that sort of money on players you've never heard of playing for small clubs especially when there is no bidding war from other clubs to sign them. That's exactly what we've seen during this market, especially with the keepers. Two World Records broken on young keepers that would never have featured on your top keeper target list a month ago.
    There are some clubs. Utd and Real in particular, who just love the idea of having the most expensive player or type of player. It could be an ego thing but its mostly a marketing ploy, based on them knowing for sure that some poor saps in social housing are going to max out their credit cards to buy tat with said players name on it. When it started, maybe in the 70s with Malcolm Macdonald (£100k) or Shearer bought by money bags Blackburn. All I know is those players were probably worth it back then. Pogba, till now is still not worth 90m.

Mourinho being the deadbeat shopaholic that he is always wants to buy players to cover his tactical ancestry. He has now made a rod for his own back. The high ups have told him. You have the most expensive squad more or less in the country. Go earn your pay or ship out. I see him gone by Xmas. Im tempted to put a few pounds on it.
    Last edited by Globalgunner; 10-08-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day