Page 175 of 322 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    So Morata and Lukaku are top top top quality strikers based on their price tag? This is how teams get got.

I'm not hearing this from you of all people either. Sorry. It's a double standard. If Arsenal sign an unknown player for a hefty price tag, it's met with cynicism (Xhaka). There is no way we'd be able to get away with spending above that sort of fee for players you haven't heard of or for players you see in lower league Premier League clubs like Everton and Southampton.

What's nuts is that there seems to be no bidding war for some of these players. It's not as if they're in high demand and clubs are clamoring for the new star. It's now to the point where clubs are slapping on a too good to say no to price first time around just so the selling club agrees to sell with little fuss. Again, I think we'd all be comfortable with this approach if we knew the current manager has a great record with knowing what sort of players he wants but that's not what's happening in football these days.
    For some reason they are deemed to be yes, to be fair Lukaku scores a lot at scored consistently 20+ goals at Everton so he was always going to cost a shedload, Morata has played at Real and Juve and is highly rated for some reason, never rated him myself but many did.

Not being funny but not only was Xhaka a nobody, he's also not playing in Spain or England, seen as the two richest leagues, he's also got no talent, you'd think a decent scout would spot that. As for Everton, to be hones they're putting us to shame with the amount they're spending in comparison to us, especially given our terrible season last season, they obviously will find it difficult to sign the top top players due to not playing much CL football over the years but you can se they're trying to better themselves, much like Liverpool did until they hit the jackpot with Klopp.
    It's to do with their release clauses in Spain, you pay that to sign them it's the way the system works and Chelsea needed a new keeper badly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my above post. Exactly. Seeing our record in the window, there is no way you'd feel comfortable spending way above that sort of money on players you've never heard of playing for small clubs especially when there is no bidding war from other clubs to sign them. That's exactly what we've seen during this market, especially with the keepers. Two World Records broken on young keepers that would never have featured on your top keeper target list a month ago.
    Lemar, Fekir all players we don't know huge amounts to be honest, but I'd have been happy for us to sign them whatever the cost, it's not for us to worry about the cost, I just want to see quality players come in, Atletico didn't hold back and just spent the money, likewise Liverpool. I have no problem with us signing players like this that are very highly rated and have some sort of matchwinning ability, unlike players like Xhaka, the only thing he'll win you is a wooden spoon.

As for the keepers, noone had heard of De Gea but he was hugely rated, I don't know that much about those keepers but certainly with the Liverpool keeper he was regarded as one of the best in the world, with Chelsea they were desperate and being Spain number 2 he can't be too bad, not saying I'd want us to pay that for him (I'd have gone for Oblak but clearly he wasn't available) but they had no choice.

When you sign an expensive player you often get your money back in merchandising and sponsorship deals, Neymar cost a lot but his marketability will bring his fee back in and more over the years and he has huge resale value, people don't see the benefits of signing top players and paying big fees, there are lots of off the pitch benefits to clubs as well.
    Last edited by Özim; 10-08-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    There are some clubs. Utd and Real in particular, who just love the idea of having the most expensive player or type of player. It could be an ego thing but its mostly a marketing ploy, based on them knowing for sure that some poor saps in social housing are going to max out their credit cards to buy tat with said players name on it. When it started, maybe in the 70s with Malcolm Macdonald (£100k) or Shearer bought by money bags Blackburn. All I know is those players were probably worth it back then. Pogba, till now is still not worth 90m.

Mourinho being the deadbeat shopaholic that he is always wants to buy players to cover his tactical ancestry. He has now made a rod for his own back. The high ups have told him. You have the most expensive squad more or less in the country. Go earn your pay or ship out. I see him gone by Xmas. Im tempted to put a few pounds on it.
    The part in bold is what seems to make sense about the Pogba deal. If they have some sort of algorithm that predicts his purchase will equate to x amount of shirt sales and sponsorship money, then the price tag can be justified. But I see a lot of bum players going for silly money with nowhere near the sort of following Pogba has. I can’t see how the price tags can be justified but nothing will change unless audience spending habits change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Lemar, Fekir all players we don't know huge amounts to be honest, but I'd have been happy for us to sign them whatever the cost, it's not for us to worry about the cost, I just want to see quality players come in, Atletico didn't hold back and just spent the money, likewise Liverpool. I have no problem with us signing players like this that are very highly rated and have some sort of matchwinning ability, unlike players like Xhaka, the only thing he'll win you is a wooden spoon.

As for the keepers, noone had heard of De Gea but he was hugely rated, I don't know that much about those keepers but certainly with the Liverpool keeper he was regarded as one of the best in the world, with Chelsea they were desperate and being Spain number 2 he can't be too bad, not saying I'd want us to pay that for him (I'd have gone for Oblak but clearly he wasn't available) but they had no choice.

When you sign an expensive player you often get your money back in merchandising and sponsorship deals, Neymar cost a lot but his marketability will bring his fee back in and more over the years and he has huge resale value, people don't see the benefits of signing top players and paying big fees, there are lots of off the pitch benefits to clubs as well.
    This is what’s bothering me about the transfer window and fees. Players are going for ridiculous fees after one or two seasons and I see fans such as yourself getting caught up in the transfer hype without seeing the player play.

When we’re talking about fees going up to £70m - £100m for players with Danny Welbeck numbers in terms of goals and still developing….it’s a massive risk for clubs. The rewards can be great but I’ve watched football long enough to know that it doesn’t always turn out that way.

Samir Nasri’s, Ryan Babel’s, Yoann Gourcuff, Maro Gotze’s, Memphis Depay, Jose Antonio Reye’s, Bojan, Ben Arfa, Van der Meyde, Steven Pienaar, Loric Remy, Mario Baloteli…..etc. Can you imagine the amount these players would go for if they were coming up in today’s era with all the hype? If Nasri were still young and playing in France we’d be shouting to spend £60m - £70m on him. Same goes for Reyes and all the rest. We’ve seen how the story ends for most of these players.

I’ve said this before, but as we’re only just starting, I want to see how Emery copes with the little he’s given, how he organises a team and only then will he get the golden stamp approval faith I used to have with Wenger. It didn’t matter who we were linked with or signing, I used to believe that Wenger could turn them into a star. We all saw how that went and it became clear that Wenger lost his mojo and needed to start signing established star players to make up for his weaknesses. Thank fuck he’s gone. In this current ‘market’ it’s also the developing players showing brief signs of potential going for ridiculous amounts of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Most likely English quota, otherwise it makes no football sense
    It certainly can’t have come down to his ability as a finisher!

The only thing I can think of is that he’s quick, strong and hard-working, so Emery might be looking at him and thinking that he could be an asset in a high press? Perhaps his value is less about goal-scoring and more about pressuring defenders, forcing errors and generally being a pain in a the arse?

Up to Danny to make it work, because he ain’t getting a sniff as a CF with Aubameyang an Lacazette in front of him! There is an opportunity there to balance our narrow attack, though, if someone wants to take it...
    Last edited by I am invisible; 10-08-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just takes one transfer and one club to pay up to change the whole market.
    One of the many reasons I was pretty sure his value would hold.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    One of the many reasons I was pretty sure his value would hold.....
    Individual player valuations will always fluctuate and aren't set in stone. Courtois just went for £35m to Madrid despite being one of the top keepers.

£60m maybe the new £30m but that doesn't mean every players valuation will stay sky high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No but I think his will hold for reasons regarding the football bubble and market that I've stated before. Moreover, unlike most of the rest of those keepers I'm in no doubt about his quality having seen him plenty of times now, including live.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    are we going to get a fee? a sack of potatoes or something?