Page 182 of 322 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232282 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    If the Suarez signing is any indicator then our targets will be run of the mill. I'm guessing a lot will depend on CL qualification.

On Suarez; is he Emery's Kim Kallstrom? What a pointless signing.
    What’s happening on the technical director job, or whatever we’re calling it? Monchi and Overmars can’t have been the only names on the list? Someone st the club needs to get a grip, if that Suarez loan is anything to go by...
    Last edited by I am invisible; 20-04-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    I think there’s room to keep some of those expensive / older guys on, and I don’t think we’ll see all of them go, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we accepted offers for (or simply released) many of them. I can see there being one or two shocks there, if the right offer came in.

(And, unfortunately, I also think that the one or two older players that I’d choose to keep might want one final move back to their home countries this summer to see out their careers?)

The bottom line is there’s far too much fat on that wage bill and we need to get our operation leaner. When you look at the return we’re getting from guys like Torreira, Gendouzi, Holding and AMN who are probably on about half the money that we’re paying some of their competition, there’s gains to be had everywhere. Even if we can’t afford to shop at the de Ligt end of the market, we should still be expecting the people running this club to move us forward - Christ, even if all we do is bring players of a similar standard on less money who can handle away days, that would be something...
    I think as you suggest any number of players could go.....but the departures will be mitigated by the fact that eventually you need to shut the out door and start replacing them which in itself is costly.

I think Koscielny specifically (as I thought with Santi) is worth making it worth his while to stay, but as he was looking to leave last summer, I wouldn't be surprised if he left this summer.

Sanchez was the man for us for away games and in that respect we still haven't replaced him. My main worry when Emery came here was his horrible away record in Spain so I hope the trend does not continue too long.

Nicolo Barella is one of the only players we've been linked to that looks like he can move to the next level, though i think he looks a bit too similar to Torreira. Umtiti I've never rated anywhere near as much as most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't really think of many players affordable that will get us where we want to go.....but I'm not a professional scout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Can't really think of many players affordable that will get us where we want to go.....but I'm not a professional scout.
    we certainly wont be boosting the coffers by selling Mustafi, who in the right mind would buy him.... well maybe west ham.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    My main worry when Emery came here was his horrible away record in Spain so I hope the trend does not continue too long.
    His away record in Spain was fine for the teams he managed - Valencia had the third best and Sevilla 4/5 - he did have one car crash season when they didn’t win away at all. Until we sort out the squad it will be hard to tell if it’s the players or the manager that struggle away.
    Last edited by SMatthews; 21-04-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    His away record in Spain was fine for the teams he managed - Valencia had the third best and Sevilla 4/5 - he did have one car crash season when they didn’t win away at all. Until we sort out the squad it will be hard to tell if it’s the players or the manager that struggle away.
    Yes, that was the part that concerned me. I do think he tends to have an overly cautious approach away from home, but I think he is more willing to learn than other managers so I live in hope that he becomes more positive in this regard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also if we were looking for a right back....which we aren't or probably won't be...... Aaron Wan-Bisaka is it.

He really is the real deal. A little simple going forward, but absolutely the real deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO you should spend big and bring quality like Liverpool have done, for years we've scrimped and in turns wasted large amounts on cheaper players who don't work out, people scoffed at Liverpool paying for Van Dijk, now he's probably worth 2-3 times as much and is seen as if not the best, one of the best defenders in the world.

On top of that if you sign a big name, he pays back his transfer fee on merchandising alone, never mind all the rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree to an extent. If your recruiting staff back their judgement on a player that can take you to the next level.....then show it by paying a decent sum occasionally. Obviously we don't have 75 mill to spend on one player but we have paid big money for forwards and the same may be needed for a defender.

I remember before Aguero was signed by City It was pretty obvious he had the qualities to be a top player in the prem or at a top club. But he wasn't flavour of the month and there were other more fashionable players around and no team backed themselves by putting down a large fee for him until City did. We know how that turned out. He was obviously the best player outside of Real and Barca at the time....just as Santi was one of the best players outside the top clubs when we signed him.

Obviously they can afford costly mistakes.....but there are always a handful of top players not already playing at the top clubs that if you move quickly on, you can get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree about Aguero, really wanted us to sign him, City got him and what a bargain he's turned out to be!

Just think top quality players improve those around them and sometimes you need to buy big, it's fairly obvious which players stand out and I think you need them to go to the next level.

If we hadn't wasted time buying Mustafi and Xhaka we could have signed someone top top notch with the 70 odd million we would have had to spend.