Page 192 of 322 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    If the January signing of Suarez is anything to go by we should be worried about what this summer will bring!
    Yeah not gonna lie, based on what we're hearing it doesn't sound good, cheap bargain basement type signings are unlikely to raise you to a higher level unless you get exceptionally lucy and unearth a gem, which these days is very rare (and are discovered by smaller clubs oddly).

We've not had great success with buying cheap, so I don't trust the club to find the right players, fact is we need top quality now if we realistically want to raise our level, but it seems the club isn't interested in that, last summer we spent peanuts relatively speaking and that didn't work out too well, we've ended up 5th and had to watch rubbish players populating the team every game.

We really need to get rid of these guys, but it seems we may be lumbered with them for quite a while, who's dubm idea was it to give Xhaka/Chambers a new contract last summer?

On top of that we still have no replacement for Mislintat, that's a bit of a shambles too, like much of what this club does these days.

Based on what I've heard I'm expecting another average summer followed by another mediocre season, where's the progress?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Well he’s better than our current options but probably well out of our price range. Most players who would push us are likely to be too expensive for us anyway.
    Exactly, that will be our entire budget (possibly more) on one player and we'll be lumbered with that rubbish the former manager left us with.

Basically we need some free transfers to save our summer, Rabiot is one but he'll probably choose some other club that better serves his ambition to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    We've not had great success with buying cheap, so I don't trust the club to find the right players, fact is we need top quality now if we realistically want to raise our level, but it seems the club isn't interested in that, last summer we spent peanuts relatively speaking and that didn't work out too well, we've ended up 5th and had to watch rubbish players populating the team every game.
    that's not quite right, do you not think Leno, Guendouzi and Torreira were actually bad signings? as that is what you are implying. they were good signings.

the problem was that mustafi kept playing. he is one of the worst signing ever in the premier league. had holding stayed fit he would have made the difference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly, that will be our entire budget (possibly more) on one player and we'll be lumbered with that rubbish the former manager left us with.

Basically we need some free transfers to save our summer, Rabiot is one but he'll probably choose some other club that better serves his ambition to be honest.
    Maybe one day, Zim, the logic will click into place that a lot of the reason our squad needs work is because of the budget our former and current manager are working with.
    Because of our owner who isn't interested in success.
    I know you like to pretend that Wenger is the root of all evil but it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Maybe one day, Zim, the logic will click into place that a lot of the reason our squad needs work is because of the budget our former and current manager are working with.
    Because of our owner who isn't interested in success.
    I know you like to pretend that Wenger is the root of all evil but it's a bit more complicated than that.
    That's rubbish sorry, 35 million on Xhaka, 30 odd million on Mustafi, 200k wages on Mhkitaryan because we never tied down Sanchez, Ramsey leaving on a free because again he never got him signed up early, Ozil on 300k because he never signed him up or sold him before he had 8 months left and there's countless other examples of wasting money, Perez, Jenkinsons ridiculous contract, Wishere leaving on a free when we'd been offered 30-40 million for him a season before and the list goes on and on.

He got plenty of money but he utterly wasted it and brought in average players, which is what the current manager has been lumbered with, don't get me wrong he's not covered himself in glory either but this squad he's inherited is awful, he's left the manager with almost no assets of any value to raise money with either, obviusly the owner is at fault as he won't invest but with that in mind Wenger really screwed over the new manager as he had no players of any value he can sell because Wenger wasted what we had.

There's a good reason Wenger is still out of work (despite his claim that he's had plenty of offers).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    that's not quite right, do you not think Leno, Guendouzi and Torreira were actually bad signings? as that is what you are implying. they were good signings.

the problem was that mustafi kept playing. he is one of the worst signing ever in the premier league. had holding stayed fit he would have made the difference.
    Leno has been really good, Guendouzi has been decent but he's not a world beater and we need more ready made players than him, Torreira is decent but we knew that from the World Cup, we snapped him up in time I just don't trust the club especially now we've lost Mislintat and have noone to replace him.

Trouble with buying cheap is you'r just as likely to end up with a Lichsteiner or Xhaka as you are a Torreira, we've done it and enough over the years to know this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He got plenty of money.

You literally just said "that will be our entire budget" and lamented the lack of funds for our manager.
    Are you suggesting that is a new policy and our previous manager had loads of money?
    I mean, I agree he wasted a lot of money but our manager doesn't have the budget that the managers of some of our rivals have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post

You literally just said "that will be our entire budget" and lamented the lack of funds for our manager.
    Are you suggesting that is a new policy and our previous manager had loads of money?
    I mean, I agree he wasted a lot of money but our manager doesn't have the budget that the managers of some of our rivals have.
    Yes because the current manager is getting very little money considering how much he needs to fix this mess, 70 million in todays money buys you next to nothing as transfer fees are now astronomical.

Wenger didn't get huge amounts, but certainly in more recent times he spent a fair amount and wasted a lot of that (transfers were not as bad as they are now in the whole time), probably a few hundred million that could have been better spent, money we could reall do with considering the owner isn't going to put a penny in. What's worse is that these players either can't be shifted or have no value and are all on huge wages making it a real drain on resources.

I know it's not the same as the money Man City have spent, but certainly it would equate to what Liverpool have had in recent times and look what they've done with it.

So in short yes Wenger really messed it up for the existing manager, he left him with a squad full of duds and spent and wasted large amounts we could use now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's not the same as the money Man City have spent, but certainly it would equate to what Liverpool have had in recent times and look what they've done with it.
    Nope.

See video above.