Page 221 of 322 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271321 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    50m is a bargain really if he lives up to his potential. That’s a position nailed down for the next decade.
    I remember the last hot prospect Utd signed from Palace. That one turned out well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of money but Wan-Bissaka is worth it. Unlike Micah Richards years ago, I think he'll go the distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richards was a City youth player wasn’t he?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Errr... I think so.

Spurs on the verge of signing Ndombele. Outrageous if they pull it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    They're stadium cost close to a billion I believe though, ours was £390 million I think, so a big difference in cost. Hard to believe it was opened 13 years ago now.

IMO we tried to get greedy by building the flats and it backfired on us when we struggled to sell them. The reality is we were promised a competitive team in the new stadium, we never got that, we were told our aim was to compete with the very best, instead we're struggling to qualify for the top 4, we were suppose to go to toe toe with top clubs for the best players and instead we're scraping around for unknowns and cheap buys.

It wouldn't be an understatement to say it's been a disaster, again though I agree with you to some extent, our spending was terrible (but we also sold off our best players time and time again, Spurs have resisted doing this), we kept Wenger (and Gazidis) for far too long, both did a poor job after the stadium move, Wenger got obsessed with proving people wrong and refused to accept what people were saying was correct and waste money left, right and center when he spent it and Gazidis delivered very poor commercial deals, came out with empty promises and delivered nothing, then when he finally got rid of Wenger walked away!

It could have been so different, instead we could well be stuck as also rans for the foreseeable future, with no real investment, a coach who most likely isn't an elite coach and an owner who couldn't care less about us being successful so probably won't replace Emery with anyone decent if he doesn't work out.

I guess we can all hope for some kind of miracle turnaround, but I don't think too many really believe it's going to happen for us right now, our only hope I guess is that we stumble across some miracle worker of a manager, who proves to be top class and has an eye for talent, which in these days seems unlikely.
    The flats shouldn’t have been an issue - if the housing market suddenly crashed then we could have just sat on them and rented them out until it picked up again. No way those properties don’t get snapped up in about 5 seconds in London.

As you say, the problem has never been the stadium itself - we’ve just had a bunch of idiots in charge who have lurched from one mistake to the next for more than a decade. If anything, the fact that they haven’t managed to leave us in administration is probably a testament to the financial power of this club!

Even now it’s recoverable. The club generates everything we could ever need to be successful, with the potential to earn even more with CL finishes (and the higher marketing potential that goes with it), but it’s probably going to mean a year or two of aggressive changes and hard work to get back to that point. If it happens it certainly won’t feel like any miracle - it will feel more like surgery followed by a recovery period...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    The flats shouldn’t have been an issue - if the housing market suddenly crashed then we could have just sat on them and rented them out until it picked up again. No way those properties don’t get snapped up in about 5 seconds in London.

As you say, the problem has never been the stadium itself - we’ve just had a bunch of idiots in charge who have lurched from one mistake to the next for more than a decade. If anything, the fact that they haven’t managed to leave us in administration is probably a testament to the financial power of this club!

Even now it’s recoverable. The club generates everything we could ever need to be successful, with the potential to earn even more with CL finishes (and the higher marketing potential that goes with it), but it’s probably going to mean a year or two of aggressive changes and hard work to get back to that point. If it happens it certainly won’t feel like any miracle - it will feel more like surgery followed by a recovery period...
    Yes true, but the flats have nothing to do with football, we were building a stadium not a residential area, that's my point really, the people in charge got a bit greedy and decided to try and cash in (not necessarily thinking about the club) and in the end it backfired somewhat.

Yes we did, no doubting that and they were kept in charge for far far too long, for sentimental reasons and because it just suited everyone.

I hope you're right, but with so little money and a manager who IMO based on his career and what he showed us last season really isn't an elite coach it may prove to be beyond us, club above us will have more money to spend, as will Man U and we'll probably be lumbered with overpaid average or under performing players like Ozil, Xhaka, Mustafi, Mhkyktaryan, Iwobi, players that aren't going to drag you to the next level that we just can't sell.

Right now given the situation, it's hard to see how we're going to be competing in the near future, even qualifying for the CL which brings more money will be a push, Emery had it handed on a plate to him last season and he failed to capitalise and then got hammered in the EL final, there's a mentality issue with these players and without wholesale changes that's not going to be any different next season. Add to that the fact we lost Ramsey probably one of our best players last season and it's hardly looks rosy right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Yes true, but the flats have nothing to do with football, we were building a stadium not a residential area, that's my point really, the people in charge got a bit greedy and decided to try and cash in (not necessarily thinking about the club) and in the end it backfired somewhat.

Yes we did, no doubting that and they were kept in charge for far far too long, for sentimental reasons and because it just suited everyone.

I hope you're right, but with so little money and a manager who IMO based on his career and what he showed us last season really isn't an elite coach it may prove to be beyond us, club above us will have more money to spend, as will Man U and we'll probably be lumbered with overpaid average or under performing players like Ozil, Xhaka, Mustafi, Mhkyktaryan, Iwobi, players that aren't going to drag you to the next level that we just can't sell.

Right now given the situation, it's hard to see how we're going to be competing in the near future, even qualifying for the CL which brings more money will be a push, Emery had it handed on a plate to him last season and he failed to capitalise and then got hammered in the EL final, there's a mentality issue with these players and without wholesale changes that's not going to be any different next season. Add to that the fact we lost Ramsey probably one of our best players last season and it's hardly looks rosy right now.
    We're probably going to have to give most of them away for nothing in the end. I'm actually not to bothered about that - the only problem is we'll probably hold out until the very last minute to see if we'll get any kind of fee for them, so it probably won't help us much this window.

The more I think about it, the more I don't understand how we haven't simply terminated Özil's contract? Whether it's on the grounds of the club itself having to make cutbacks due to loss of income, or sustained poor performance on a personal level (in spite of what must have been numerous warnings since Emery joined), or his appalling attendance record, or showing disrespect to his manager in public, or being a PR and marketing disaster for the club... there must be something legitimate there, surely?

Granted, it could set a dangerous precedent in the game, and there's a worry that players might think twice before joining us in future if we play this card, but surely the footballing world would accept that Özil is a unique case? I mean, the guy "earns" enough money to pay 5 players and he doesn't do his job, he disrespects his manager, he has every other week off, and in a PR- and marketing-critical industry he's somehow managed to alienate his own fans, his home nation and he asked a fucking dictator to be the best man at his wedding! Short of taking a swing at Stan, I'm really not sure what more he has to do to get his ass fired?
    Last edited by I am invisible; 27-06-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't terminate a contract on any of those basis. Even when players have refused to return to their clubs they have still remained in contract until they are sold. The club would be left wide open for a messy, protracted and expensive lawsuit, that would then tell every agent to advise their players to avoid us like the plague.

We're stuck with Ozil and any other player that doesn't want to leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    We're probably going to have to give most of them away for nothing in the end. I'm actually not to bothered about that - the only problem is we'll probably hold out until the very last minute to see if we'll get any kind of fee for them, so it probably won't help us much this window.

The more I think about it, the more I don't understand how we haven't simply terminated Özil's contract? Whether it's on the grounds of the club itself having to make cutbacks due to loss of income, or sustained poor performance on a personal level (in spite of what must have been numerous warnings since Emery joined), or his appalling attendance record, or showing disrespect to his manager in public, or being a PR and marketing disaster for the club... there must be something legitimate there, surely?

Granted, it could set a dangerous precedent in the game, and there's a worry that players might think twice before joining us in future if we play this card, but surely the footballing world would accept that Özil is a unique case? I mean, the guy "earns" enough money to pay 5 players and he doesn't do his job, he disrespects his manager, he has every other week off, and in a PR- and marketing-critical industry he's somehow managed to alienate his own fans, his home nation and he asked a fucking dictator to be the best man at his wedding! Short of taking a swing at Stan, I'm really not sure what more he has to do to get his ass fired?
    You're probably right about that, on top of all the players we've lost for next to nothing or nothing, we're probably going to have to settle for releasing those players as well as there don't seem to be any buyers right now, which kinda highlights just how bad a bit of business it was to sign them in the 1st place.

It's pretty shocking how we were left, next to no saleable assets and several players we couldn't give away if we tried, how often does that happen at a big club? Emery got dealt a bad card, I'll give him that, but I must admit to also having been underwhelmed by his first season in charge, it wasn't so much where we ended up as how we did it, IMO there hasn't really been enough clear direction or change from the previous manager which is very disappointing, I feel a more elite coach would have stamped his authority more, I guess we'll see what he can do next season, but so far our business has been very slow, we should really be desperate to get some signings over the line so we can bed them in, the players we seem to be going after are also you could argue a bit underwhelming as well, time will tell who we end up with though I guess.

Re Ozil, it the fact we'd have to pay him off that's the issue isn't it, let's face it it is, but then we seem to be the kings of poor decisions, what were we thinking by offering Xhaka a new contract last summer and of course how did we get ourselves in a position where we had no choice but to give into Ozils demands in the 1st place.

It is what it is at the end of the day, Ozil might be too expensive to release, but Mustafi probably wouldn't be, Mhkytaryan again is another player who's very poor value for money, 200k a week going on this guy with precious little to show for it, we can add Xhaka to that list now as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    You can't terminate a contract on any of those basis. Even when players have refused to return to their clubs they have still remained in contract until they are sold. The club would be left wide open for a messy, protracted and expensive lawsuit, that would then tell every agent to advise their players to avoid us like the plague.

We're stuck with Ozil and any other player that doesn't want to leave.
    That's about the size of it.