Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man Utd end talks with Dybala.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49230085

That's the way BBC paint it anyway, sounds like Dybala didn't want to go there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dostoy View Post
    I'm a bit confused here.

Who are you talking about because I never did any of what you are saying.

I was talking about 'SMatthews', he is the one that said he did not want Stan to spend any of his own money.

I'm not excited about Pepe yet although I might be when he starts playing and I would not have called Hazard slight in any way at all.

Arsenal need a CB and a left back and to get rid of so many players like Elneny, Jenks, Kos, Mustafi, Ozil and maybe Monreal who is too old.
    I don't think he was talking about you, he was talking about the poster you replied to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Man Utd end talks with Dybala.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49230085

That's the way BBC paint it anyway, sounds like Dybala didn't want to go there.
    Can you blame him?
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very happy with the Pepe signing personally, looks a very good player, perhaps he's not quite as prolific from open play as his goals suggest as 9 were penalties apparently but he'll still score a few and create and give us a decent option on the wing at last.

Have to say tho until Koscielny kicked up a fuss it didn't look like we wanted a centre back (and we still haven't got one with the season approaching) which IMO would have been a massive oversight. When you concede as many goals as we did last season (and have done for the last few seasons), clearly defence is a priority and I'm confused why it didn't seem so for us, I would have expected to have signed some defenders by now, a top team starts with a very good defence, without that you'll never challenge so I don't understand why all we've signed is attack minded players so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess a problem is simply that in theory we have loads of CBs on the books - Sokratis, Kos, Holding, Chambers, Mustafi (if you can call him a defender but apparently some do...), even Medley and until recently Bielek

i note we've offloaded Takuma Asano and one or two others so we're reducing the wage bill and hopefully the £10m for Bielik will be channelled back into getting a decent CB - but time's running out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not gonna lie - I'm starting to panic about the defence now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's unlikely that much will change as far as I'm concerned, unless Pepe gels with Auba and Laca to form an attacking trio as good as the one Liverpool have, then maybe we will be able to blow teams away before the defence can undermine everything. Having Holding and Bellerin back soon will help but lets not pretend we were rock solid before their injuries. We need at least 2 new faces at the back IMO but I accept it's not just about bringing in defenders, the midfield also needs to protect them rather than getting overrun. Looking at a certain Swiss CM...

If we can at least get Tierney done then I'd say it's been a good use of our limited funds this summer. On paper anyway. How that plays out on the pitch god knows.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 05-08-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    It's unlikely that much will change as far as I'm concerned, unless Pepe gels with Auba and Laca to form an attacking trio as good as the one Liverpool have, then maybe we will be able to blow teams away before the defence can undermine everything. Having Holding and Bellerin back soon will help but lets not pretend we were rock solid before their injuries. We need at least 2 new faces at the back IMO but I accept it's not just about bringing in defenders, the midfield also needs to protect them rather than getting overrun. Looking at a certain Swiss CM...

If we can at least get Tierney done then I'd say it's been a good use of our limited funds this summer. On paper anyway. How that plays out on the pitch god knows.
    I think we really needed CB,, the ones we have just won't fix the issues we have, Tierney would be great but he'll be out for 7-8 weeks now so the defence will be exactly the same as before which is a real worry considering it was our achilles heel, it's obviously exciting to get a winger and we did need one for sure but the defence was definitely the priority.

I agree about the protection for the defence, Xhaka just isn't up to it, a substandard player who will always be a liability for us and isn't going to help us improve our defending.

Also one injured to Leno and we're relying on Martinez and he's been pretty error prone in pre-season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Not gonna lie - I'm starting to panic about the defence now!
    We all know it's a problem - even with new faces in no-one will have faith until we see it played out on the pitch.

Even if we got Tierney, we'd have to wait until September to see him, Holding and Bellerin in our back line - so the start of the season could be fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - so the start of the season could be fun.[/QUOTE]

Sadist...