Page 51 of 322 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    This!

It makes no sense to have to go through some kind of transistion again in a few years time when a lot of our best players will be in their 30's!

We should be targeting players in their early to mid 20's to supplement some of the experience we currently have, experience as in (Kos, Ramsey, Ozil, Mkhi, Auba etc).
    Not sure this a team transition this time, it's a transition for everything else at the club. New people everywhere, a whole new philosophy (hopefully). Winning teams aren't just chucked together, managers like Pep and Klopp have spent time getting their backroom together as well as the team on the pitch. And both are enjoying the results.

To expect us to go from the Wenger era (where he had a say in literally everything) to the post Wenger era (where the whole model for the club seems to be changing) is a big ask. What I have seen so far I like. Proper people coming into key roles. The manager's role becoming a coaching role. The CEO actually running shit and making decisions. Like the grown ups do. I'm okay with a transitional season because we're literally rewriting Arsenal Football Club, which had come very close to being Arsene FC.

I honestly don't think it matters who we sign or don't sign at this stage. I'm very confident our game will improve dramatically just by doing the very simple things Wenger refused to do.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Cazorla is heading back to Villarreal.

Hope he gets back to the player he was before the horrible injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    IMO we shouldn't be messing about, we should be bringing in quality players now to create a strong spine to the team, keeper wise, Oblak, if he cost 70 million he cost 70 million, at the end of the day he'll be there for years and we've seen the difference a top keeper makes.

Likewise CB and DM, I'd sell off the likes of Mustafi, Xhaka, Welbeck, Cech, Chambers (he's a no hoper IMO), Iwobi, I'd even consider selling Bellerin to raise funds. This signing ageing players is a false economy, buy cheap buy twice as they say, just look at Aubameyang, he's come in for big money but scored plenty already.

We've been buyig 2nd rate players for years and that's one of the reason we are where we are.
    I would agree with you on Oblak. If we could bring him in for a club record fee of around 70 million I would....he is that good. Top goalkeepers and their value has been underrated since football began. I've only seen him a few times and despite that I think he is every bit as good anything I've seen perhaps barring De Gea, Neuer (on a good day/season).

As frustrating as our game was against Atletico at home, I stood in the stands (the first game I've actually been to in a few years now) watching Oblak and thought wow.....now there's a fuhking hell of a goalkeeper.

Having said that, I think we are going to need to be clever as there is more work to do than money available to do it. We need to do something canny like a Chiellini, Max Meyer, Iniesta, Alderweireld type signing.....someone who's contract is running out or out this summer.

Imagine the difference Jean Michael Seri, Jan Oblak and some defensive coaching AND drilling would do to this team......

Really hope we make Seri happen. I can't even remember seeing him play but he sounds like the sort of player we need at last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Looks like Cazorla is heading back to Villarreal.

Hope he gets back to the player he was before the horrible injuries.
    well it would be annoying if he came good again having left us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I would agree with you on Oblak. If we could bring him in for a club record fee of around 70 million I would....he is that good. Top goalkeepers and their value has been underrated since football began. I've only seen him a few times and despite that I think he is every bit as good anything I've seen perhaps barring De Gea, Neuer (on a good day/season).

As frustrating as our game was against Atletico at home, I stood in the stands (the first game I've actually been to in a few years now) watching Oblak and thought wow.....now there's a fuhking hell of a goalkeeper.

Having said that, I think we are going to need to be clever as there is more work to do than money available to do it. We need to do something canny like a Chiellini, Max Meyer, Iniesta, Alderweireld type signing.....someone who's contract is running out or out this summer.

Imagine the difference Jean Michael Seri, Jan Oblak and some defensive coaching AND drilling would do to this team......

Really hope we make Seri happen. I can't even remember seeing him play but he sounds like the sort of player we need at last.
    Don't do it to yourself, mate - we ain't signing Oblak!

Sounds like the Meyer boat might have sailed now - shame because he really sounded like the kind of player we could have done with to help us beat the high press (and would have been free).

Seri sounds like he might be a bit more offensive, but then again I suppose Meyer was too until a decent coach spotted that he'd work better in a deeper role - maybe previous experience in specific roles is less relevant than the skills needed to make it work and the willingness to give it a try (Cazorla being the perfect example)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think butland could be an option. cheaper as stoke are in the championship and still frees up money for the many other weaknesses we have.

I cant see why oblak would come here although he would be kept busier than at atletico.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    I still think butland could be an option. cheaper as stoke are in the championship and still frees up money for the many other weaknesses we have.

I cant see why oblak would come here although he would be kept busier than at atletico.
    Butland would cost more than Pickford cost Everton. Way too much for a fairly average goalkeeper.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Butland would cost more than Pickford cost Everton. Way too much for a fairly average goalkeeper.
    Aye, I don’t particularly rate him that highly either. He looked great a couple of seasons ago but seems to have lost his way a bit.

Pickford is another one who is pretty average, he’s solid-ish but has a “clanger a game” in him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leno and Casteels are the 2 names that I keep seeing menrioned for GK - I guess they make sense given Mislintat's favoured hunting ground. A lot of German football watchers also keep suggesting Pavlenka, although I've nor seen a single rumour about that outside of forums.

I'm almost at the point where I'd give anyone a go, tbh - as long as it's not Cech or Ospina...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Leno and Casteels are the 2 names that I keep seeing menrioned for GK - I guess they make sense given Mislintat's favoured hunting ground. A lot of German football watchers also keep suggesting Pavlenka, although I've nor seen a single rumour about that outside of forums.

I'm almost at the point where I'd give anyone a go, tbh - as long as it's not Cech or Ospina...
    although i'd prefer to have Ospina as back up than Cech

any talk of 'Sir Chezney' still or is he out of form again?