User Tag List

Page 62 of 322 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn straight we would have laughed at Wenger. Because we wouldn't be signing this accomplished 34 year old, it would have been an unaccomplished, mediocre 34 year old.

And that player would 100% have regressed and been a disaster under the old goat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    A 34 year old defender who will turn 35 years old midway through the season? Played for Juve who dominate their league and notably was only trusted to play twice in CL - both as a sub. We would've laughed Wenger out of town for this sort of signing and if true, this is some statement of intent to make for the first signing - a freebie old man full back who would get the run around in this league. Bellerin can sit back without a worry.
    Who cares what would have happened under Wenger? It doesn't matter anymore. Also, the fact he didn't play much in the CL is of no concern to us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Who cares what would have happened under Wenger? It doesn't matter anymore. Also, the fact he didn't play much in the CL is of no concern to us.
    I still think he's a bit old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    I still think he's a bit old.
    must admit i think you're right - Cech proves what happens when you get someone towards the end of their career - they can lose effectiveness and reaction times quite quickly

it's fine if you're someone like Villa taking John Terry but we need to invest in longer-term bets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is Emery is fully aware of just how much shit Wenger has left the defence in. This signing is obviously an emergency stopgap. A quick and cheap import of experience that can be done immediately and influence the pre-season without protracted negotiations for a 50 mill quid Johnny Bumblefart from Crewe who will be the next big thing (again). The real transfers will come, but there's major surgery to do in the meantime just to get the patient off life support. Hopefully this old guy can bring some knowhow to our know nothings and won't die of old age in the process. I don't expect to see him playing many games, but I'm sure he'll be a permanent fixture on the training ground.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bellerin has become really shit. See how our former LB Debuchy has prospered since leaving us, almost making the WC squad. Not surprised Bellerin didnt make the Spain squad. He was wholly ineffective for us. The new guy at least should be able to tell him how to do the basics like cross the ball and be in sync with your teammates.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think one thing we've learnt is not to question SASIE because their judgment has been pretty damn good so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really looking forward to see how they all shape up to a new manager. Who will make it and who will be out? We are stepping out into the unknown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripps View Post
    Think one thing we've learnt is not to question SASIE because their judgment has been pretty damn good so far.
    So was Wenger's in the early days.

The new team should be treated like any other. Supported when they are giving 100% and getting results, hounded to the ends of the earth if they let things drop by even 1%

That's how it works at the very top of any competitive sport. That's how you get out of the also-ran league.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, let's give them a chance. I know you and PnG are eager for it to come crashing down but lighten up