User Tag List

Page 66 of 322 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripps View Post
    For years people wanted solid experienced players and now we're signing them they're moaning and want young unproven players
    I did say we should be singing younger proven players, you can knock 8 years off that one bloke and get a guy who is 26 and is a bit more established than a 'kid'. I don't think Chambers and Holding will make it, that's my view.

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just shows you the decline in our status from not having CL football for two years in a row if the stories about Fabinho rejecting a last minute intervention by us for Liverpool. I remember four years ago, we managed to get Alexis ahead of Liverpool because we were still regarded as the more desirable team - not the case anymore. We've fallen behind Liverpool and possibly even Spurs for young players (Pochettino is a huge draw).

That being said none of the journos had a clue about Fabinho until Liverpool announced it and likewise none of them knew shit about Emery so it's probably all bollocks. Either way, the most important thing to do next year is to get CL football at all costs and display progress, so we start improving our standing and are able to attract the calibre of players to make a league push.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    Just shows you the decline in our status from not having CL football for two years in a row if the stories about Fabinho rejecting a last minute intervention by us for Liverpool. I remember four years ago, we managed to get Alexis ahead of Liverpool because we were still regarded as the more desirable team - not the case anymore. We've fallen behind Liverpool and possibly even Spurs for young players (Pochettino is a huge draw).

That being said none of the journos had a clue about Fabinho until Liverpool announced it and likewise none of them knew shit about Emery so it's probably all bollocks. Either way, the most important thing to do next year is to get CL football at all costs and display progress, so we start improving our standing and are able to attract the calibre of players to make a league push.

Yeah Emery's task next season must be top four, forget cups etc, total focus on the PL is what's needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chambers and Holding won't make it, we shouldn't waste our time on them, signed by Wenger a guy who doesn't have a clue about defending and you can see how good they are, we should get rid and bring in proper young players with potential.

Personally I ditch almost the entire defence, it was selected by Wenger and has shown it's below par time and time again.
    Last edited by Özim; 29-05-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Yeah Emery's task next season must be top four, forget cups etc, total focus on the PL is what's needed
    You don't aim for top 4 you aim to win, if we aim for top 4 we'll be in the same boat we were with Wenger where it becomes the holy grail and one of the major trophies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    To be fair it was only last season that Sokratis's performance dipped a bit, Dortmund as a whole struggled defensively. Prior to that, Sokratis had a rep as one of the best CB's in Bundesliga.

I personally would have preferred someone younger but I am more than satisfied with this signing.

He is a no nonsense experienced defender, he has played at the highest level and won stuff, he is no slouch either and will come and organise our defence.

He is absolutely an upgrade on what we have with exception of Kos, assuming Kos isn't clapped out after all his injuries and his poor form last season.

That experienced Swiss full back from Juve who we are signing on a free will also bring much needed experience and a will to win.

I have faith that these guys will come in and help with organising the defensive side of our team, right now it is a complete mess.
    My thoughts exactly. I haven't been following Dortmund recently but he used to be a rock at the back for them. At his peak he was leagues away from all of the defenders we have at the moment.

Nothing wrong with getting an experienced head at the back. If anything he might be exactly the type of defender we've been missing. Strong, good in the air, and has his positioning down. If he can also become a leader and whip all our other defenders into shape it would be a great signing.

Remember he doesn't have to be the only defender we sign, but he would be a good start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    The goal is to win every match we play. Anything less should be totally unacceptable. Doesn't mean we'll win every match. Wenger's speciality was mediocrity. That's one of the key things we need to see change under Emery. The desire to be competitive at the highest level.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ ozim and NQ

Yes of course but top four should be the minimum and what i'm really saying is we should focus on getting at least top 4 for the reasons the other guy made

Of course we try and win every game, that's how it works, but in particular it's the PL that coumts and if necessary forget the cups

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    I'm not happy and, to be honest, very disappointed that we are signing old players, don't care if they're on a free or not, they still require wages. If we want to get 'back up there' we need to be signing younger, proven players. These old players will be out with long term- injuries be fore you can blink twice. Where is the ambition???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I haven't been following Dortmund recently but he used to be a rock at the back for them. At his peak he was leagues away from all of the defenders we have at the moment.

Nothing wrong with getting an experienced head at the back. If anything he might be exactly the type of defender we've been missing. Strong, good in the air, and has his positioning down. If he can also become a leader and whip all our other defenders into shape it would be a great signing.

Remember he doesn't have to be the only defender we sign, but he would be a good start.
    Aye, from what I’ve been reading from Dortmund fans it seems he is still there best CB by some distance.
    They have a couple of younger defenders who were highly rated when they bought them but haven’t quite worked out yet.

I’m confident Sokratis will be a decent addition, like you said he is basically a rock, I think he will be very well suited to PL and will do well under Emery assuming he sorts out the Defence.