User Tag List

Page 72 of 322 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Walcott and Ox... 2 more players who should have put all their efforts into really learning the winger role - the role that was there for the taking - instead of pining after the CF and CM roles...
    It's not a case of lack of effort. They tried and tried for years. They grew up idolising Gerrard and Henry with dreams of paving out similar careers. Both were mature for their age and came from good families with footballing backgrounds. They never went off the rails and started partying too much or stopped paying attention to their fitness. From what I heard, these two were focused on football and I could always see that on the pitch. Never an attitude problem with either. Effort can only get you so far. See Danny Welbeck.

To look at Wenger's treatment of a player like Lacazette or Perez and see how that can damage confidence but not see similarities in what he did with Walcott and Ox is what I find strange when it comes to Arsenal fans. Early on in their careers, both players would either get left out of major games after a good performance or hooked after 60 minutes despite playing well. That's enough to mess with the confidence of a young player. Then think about the injuries and how that effects the players confidence.

In Theo's case, he had major surgery on both shoulders and that effected his game. He adjusted and spent less time on the ball and focused more on off the ball runs because I don't think his body could take the physical punishment. Or at least I believe that was what he was advised. When you hear Wenger say he has told Theo to study Freddie Ljunberg, along with the ridiculous comparisons to Messi, saying Theo's off the ball movement is better than Messi's, it became clear to me that Wenger was trying to develop Theo into a 'wide forward'. It's a term he's use a lot to describe Theo. He stopped being a winger. I remember Wenger once saying Theo was struggling to score goals and be as effective in attack because he's using a lot of energy tracking back to defend.

When Wenger publicly question Theo's defensive ability, we saw another change in Theo's game where he actually proved he could defend and score goals. That was his last full season for us at Arsenal before being left on the bench and then sold to Everton.

Ox was wise to move on after seeing all this. Wenger wanted to push him to playing as a wing back. Why the heck would you trust him to do that when he can't even develop a natural wingback like Bellerin?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Oh Jack. For all his talent, and I believe he did have a lot of it, he got stuck at a very low level. What a waste.

Maybe he wasn't given the right coaching but he's a professional footballer. In his spare time he should be studying his position, looking at the best CMs and figuring out why he's not as good as them. He obviously didn't bother doing that because he stopped improving a long time ago.

The injuries played a big part too but he can't keep hiding behind that excuse.
    Even Ronaldo needed tutoring and guidance

Fergie turned him into the best player in the world

Then look at our lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wilshere has also been linked to PSG recently and is better than Drinkwater at Chelsea and was linked to City a few years back, so I think it is something of a flawed argument and a little revisionist to marry the medicore clubs he has been linked to recently to his fundamental ability.

He's obviously no angel on or off the field but I don't think his career woes are all on him. Even recently he has been played further forward (Wenger's decision not his) when he clearly operates better deeper from midfield. If he's playing in the wrong part of the pitch its the manager's job to curb that or redirect him. I've always been of that belief. Wenger failed to do that with several highly talented players we've had in midfield.

If he doesn't sign da ting, I will make my peace with it, but Lord knows we already have enough business to get over the line primarily before the world cup starts and Ramsey who people seem to think has had a majestic season has also been far from Mr reliable fitness wise and also hasn't signed a new contract yet.
    Last edited by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice; 03-06-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Linked with Fellaini

Emery OUT
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Linked with Fellaini

Emery OUT
    It's a strong link too...being reported everywhere.

I personally don't believe we would be stupid enough to move for him. He's 31 in November, turned down a 140K per week contract extension from United, and would only come here if he is promised first team football, that's why he is leaving United right?

Surely we wouldn't be stupid enough to spunk big wages on him.

Also...I am getting concerned with the amount of older players we are being linked to....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't see how it would be possible to support the team if Loobrush was stinking up the shirt. Can't see it happening. Why would we need a mule like him? Where would he playpub? Would he be a chavvy style Plan B, bring him on, batter the ball into the box and pray? Half the fan base would hate the bloke from day one and the other half would eat their sandwiches in silence.

I'd rather have Sanogo back. That was funny, in a way. But Fellaini is no laughing matter.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez, this is across all the papers and almost sounds like a done deal.

Fortunately it's prominent in the Metro so must be fake news. I was getting worried there for a minute.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naturally, the rumours of Fellaini heading to the Emirates had fans of both United and Arsenal reacting on social media.

One United fan excitedly tweeted: "OH MY GOD IF THIS HAPPENS."

While an Arsenal fan simply posted: "I have bleeding eyes..."

Needless to say, the two sets of supporters had conflicting feelings on the rumours.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's in the Telegraph that 'Elbows Fellani' is an Arsenal target. If he comes to Arsenal, he won't get away with all that elbowing s==t, he'll be sent off every match he plays. If he comes to Arsenal, I'll sulk or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to think of a worse signing. And I can't come up with anything.

Some papers are spinning this as the player (sic) trying to get a better deal at Utd by using the Arsenal interest. But why would we be interested in the first place? Sounds like because he's a freebie. I hope that's not the case. And anyway, he wants 6 figures a week so he'd be a bloody expensive benchwarmer. I can only interpret our interest as a willingness to actually play him. In OUR team FFS! Which makes me wonder what style of football we'd be looking to play.
    Für eure Sicherheit