User Tag List

Page 85 of 322 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Oh come on, you're joking right? Wenger won things even recently, Moyes has never even won a raffle
    I disagree. His being appointed Utd manager was akin to a lottery win with SAF in charge of the draw.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Rubbish!

I realise that is not a very intelligent reply but this is nonsense. We have the infrastructure and fanbase to compete. I don't think our squad is a million miles away.
    The owner is a certainly a problem though.
    No offence taken!

Maybe I should have elaborated on my point, I’ll stand by what I said above, Wenger has damaged our current or dare I say it short term reputation / appeal.

We failed to take advantage of our standing in both PL and CL over the past few years prior to us not qualifying for CL. Our reputation a couple of seasons ago was such that a player would indefinitely choose Arsenal over Liverpool. Not anymore, and as it stands we appear to be operating in a market a tier below them.

None of the above really matters if we improve over the next few seasons to the point of competitiveness and regular CL football but the fact remains that we certainly have some catching up to do both in terms of appeal and performance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean appeal in terms of players we can attract?
    I don't really agree. We are a massive club and if you wave enough money at players and show ambition then they'll sign.
    I think the issue is how much ambition we show, I don't think that's entirely down to Wenger, we don't have a board prepared to push the boat out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Do you mean appeal in terms of players we can attract?
    I don't really agree. We are a massive club and if you wave enough money at players and show ambition then they'll sign.
    I think the issue is how much ambition we show, I don't think that's entirely down to Wenger, we don't have a board prepared to push the boat out.
    Yep appeal in terms of players we can attract.

Oh I agree we are a massive club but ironically up until fairly recently we hadn’t really shown any kind of ambition as such on a consistent basis.

I don’t subscribe to the notion that the board were withholding funds from Wenger, he had plenty of funds over the past few seasons and it looks as if he just recruited really badly.

I also don’t think an unambitious club spends £100 million on two strikers in one season and pays 3 of its best players 300k per week and close to 200k per week respectively.

I realise these things are quite complexed but I stand by my point that I believe the negligence of the team coupled with poor player recruitment has left us in this dicey position, Wenger is 100% responsible for that.
    Last edited by selassie; 11-06-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    No offence taken!

Maybe I should have elaborated on my point, I’ll stand by what I said above, Wenger has damaged our current or dare I say it short term reputation / appeal.

We failed to take advantage of our standing in both PL and CL over the past few years prior to us not qualifying for CL. Our reputation a couple of seasons ago was such that a player would indefinitely choose Arsenal over Liverpool. Not anymore, and as it stands we appear to be operating in a market a tier below them.

None of the above really matters if we improve over the next few seasons to the point of competitiveness and regular CL football but the fact remains that we certainly have some catching up to do both in terms of appeal and performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference now is that potential players will see us now and think of the possibilities. The new manager opens up a vista of hope....maybe a little fear but mostly hope. With Wengert in charge, players knew we were going nowhere fast. They always knew we could pay top dollar, but our ambition had a ceiling. Now it is limitless.

Hopefully by Xmas we will be thinking that the following season, we could actually win the PL for a change.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt that will happen by xmas. Emery has to implement a new system, new tactics and overhaul the culture completely. He'll also have to shape the squad and that'll take a few transfer windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Italian press reporting that we are talking with Lucas Torreira.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like we're getting close with Torreira and Soyuncu.

"Arsenal are in talks with Sampdoria over signing midfielder Lucas Torreira, according to Sky in Italy. The Gunners are thought to have offered to pay €30m in instalments instead of meeting the €25m release clause all at once. An agreement is believed to be close but discussions over terms and agent’s fees continue."

"Soyuncu's agent, Mustafa Dogru, said: "Sven Mislintat (Arsenal head of recruitment) has been keen on Caglar since he was at Borussia Dortmund. There are concrete talks - all that remains is for a fee to be agreed.""

Also, Sokratis nearly in the bag and two promising young players from PSG and Barcelona.
    Last edited by Unai Tea; 12-06-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As widely reported Arsenal in talks to sign Sampdoria midfielder Lucas Torreira. No agreement but central midfield a priority & 22yo Uruguay int’l seen as ideal fit technically + financially. #AFC also want a GK after defensive signings of Lichtsteiner & Sokratis (announced July)

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/s...37146235723776
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.