User Tag List

Page 9 of 322 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    The counter to the argument is to give us a success story of Wenger converting a player to a new position and it being a resounding success. In theory anything is possible wrt to player development. Which other storied manager do you hear boasting about how he converts players to new positions. And yes it is all about Wenger. Did Fergie go about converting players. Do international managers play players in wrong positions. Noi they dont each p;lays the best player in the best position...That is how you win big things.

Please tell me which player Wenger has brilliantly converted to any position. Instead of developing players he befuddles them and stunts their development. Djourou, Senderos, Chambers, and many others.

Do not be confused..it is all about Wenger that was the original position I proposed to you. You are also now finding your self suckered into his delusions. He wont play AMN in CM because his favourites are all there Xhaka Ramsey etc. If all that matters is AMN playing somewhere then so be it. Why not GK, CB?
    Santi Cazorla, RVP and Henry for Wenger.

Other managers convert players all the time. You don't have to look far. Victor Moses, Firmino, Sturridge, Garth Bale, Mascherano, Zidane started his career as a DM, Ballack too, Schweinsteiger from winger to DM, Lahm from full back to DM, Messi was an out and out winger and turned to a striker, same for Ronaldo...it happens all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and Bergkamp started his career as winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically Hector himself I'm told was a midfielder at la Masia but I couldn't be bothered to verify and I sensed the debate was a lost cause anyway.

And you haven't even exhausted the list under Wenger alone.
    Last edited by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice; 07-02-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even close when it comes to Wenger. Santi and RVP are two examples that most people on here have witnessed from the start of their Arsenal careers to the end. Wenger has a long history of converting players. I think Lauren was a midfielder before Wenger converted him to wingback, I don't even know what Toure was before getting his shot with us. I think he'd play striker or even wingback. Ljunberg was more of attacking midfielder than winger, Wiltord striker, was Petit a CB?

He used to have the Midas touch back in his day but he now has the Dim Mak! Blindspots in all areas of his management now. Player development, form, building confidence, tactics....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toure started off with us on the wing I think, was decent there in his first game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toure came as a midfielder.....and ended up a centre back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    Not even close when it comes to Wenger. Santi and RVP are two examples that most people on here have witnessed from the start of their Arsenal careers to the end. Wenger has a long history of converting players. I think Lauren was a midfielder before Wenger converted him to wingback, I don't even know what Toure was before getting his shot with us. I think he'd play striker or even wingback. Ljunberg was more of attacking midfielder than winger, Wiltord striker, was Petit a CB?

He used to have the Midas touch back in his day but he now has the Dim Mak! Blindspots in all areas of his management now. Player development, form, building confidence, tactics....
    You're right about Lauren yes and Petit was a defender too yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't Beckham start off as a CM and Fergie moved him to play on the wing because of his crossing skills?

There is nothing in Beckham's game, outside of crossing, that suggests he'd be more suited to wing play. Wasn't quick, wasn't dribbler.... but his ability to cross just seemed to outweigh everything.

That's an example of Fergie taking an unorthodox approach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when Fergie played a team of full-backs, centre-backs, some temps, a janitor and Nani and embarrassed us.

FFS Wenger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of Arsenal, Gibbs was also a midfielder in his youth days. Iwobi was mostly a striker. I'm sure Djourou alternated between defence and midfield too. Song was similar. Wilshere used to play on the wing too when he was getting all those rave reviews as a kid.

And do not forget also that Flamini was little bit world-class left-back in our Champions League run. Until WengBOT dropped him for some cunt in the final.