Page 197 of 322 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247297 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    Man Utd finished second in 2018 - as funny as it is, the mass introspection about their current situation is way off the mark. Panic always sets in when it comes to the media and fans, drawing up doomsday scenarios that rarely come true. They have money, are still a huge draw and will be back - although not under OGS.

And that financial pull is the big difference between the Prem and Serie A. When Inter won the CL years ago they - and the rest of the league - weren't set-up to capitalise off the pitch. The fact the two clubs share the same stadium is also a massive drawback in today's money driven era. The theory is that the Chinese have bought into both clubs because it connects them to Berlusconi and the economic and political heartland of the country - the owners are apparently under pressure from the Chinese government to capitalise on financial opportunities that will benefit their home country.

If Man City aren't reigned in by UEFA - and it's hard to see how they will be given their backers have more money than the governing body - then no-one else will be winning the title any time soon.
    I'm not even taking into account money.

Those clubs refuse to rebuild and just tried to reload instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know what that means.

And money has to be taken account when talking about success in football, there’s no separating the two anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    It shouldn't no, but do we just want to be just one of the best losers or do we want to challenge, if we're just interested in top 4 and not interested in winning then yes we can improve the defence with some decent player and settle for that, but if we want to move up a level or two we need to start finding top quality players who can take us there, you're going to need one outstanding CB who can organise the defence to do that.
    I'm not saying we shouldn't identify the best we can get, clearly. I'm saying that finding us out own VDV is nigh on impossible....and even if we did we wouldn't pay the money for him anyway. But nevertheless we can improve in other ways. Plenty of examples of players not of VDV's standard who would improve us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Plenty of examples of players not of VDV's standard who would improve us.
    this is the key point for me - we could immediately improve by getting reliable quality players who haven't been Wengerised and who turn up and put a good shift in for pretty much every game - and minus the monumnetal goal-conceding fuckups we get from the likes of Xhaka aand Mustafi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    this is the key point for me - we could immediately improve by getting reliable quality players who haven't been Wengerised and who turn up and put a good shift in for pretty much every game - and minus the monumnetal goal-conceding fuckups we get from the likes of Xhaka aand Mustafi
    There are plenty abound. Duff and Dunk (Brighton CB pairing) are better than anyone we have apart from Sok and the late lamented Holding. (Kos is not aggressive enough and too fragile). Basically anyone is better than Mustafi.....apart from the United lot who are also crap. I wouldnt take anyone from their motley crew
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Realistically if you want to rebuild slowly you have to buy young players who are going to be around for years, otherwise if you bring older players and especially players in their late 20s which seems to be what we seem to be interested in (very short sighted and costly IMO) you'll constantly have to replace ageing players, Klopp pretty much did it in 2-3 seasons, there's really no reason why we shouldn't be able to rebuild in 3 seasons.

First stage is to get rid of the duds and not offer them new contracts, offering Xhaka a new contract last summer was ridiculous, he's never going to make it and is a liability.

What strikes me about Arsenal is that it's full of excuses, when Wenger was around it was the fact we were paying for a new stadium, then that we had a young team and it will take a bit of time for them to get experience, then it was that other clubs had too much money, there's also been excuses about injuries (when in reality maybe our medical team wasn't up to scratch, out training seemed to cause injuries and we brought in and stuck with injury prone players) and now it's that the owner won't spend and we need to spend years rebuilding.

When does it end, what will it be next? Personally I'm tired excuses, I don't want another manager who sticks around for years and doesn't deliver with everyone being happy with scraping 4th. I'm alarmed that Sanelhi and co are delighted with Emery's work, to me that's the sign of a club stuck in mediocrity, failing to get top 4 in such a poor season isn't great, yes we've got to a European final but we've really stuttered along the way and as we know this competition isn't full of top quality teams, so we've not exactly had to beat amazing teams.
    Pretty good post that summarizes us in a nutshell.... a club full of excuses!

You don't need to shell out a +100 million to improve a defence, you need 3 or 4 good players that know how to play in sync and a coach who knows what he wants, simple. Its like in modern day football people think money is everything and readily give excuses for coaches who don't have loads of it. Cut your coat according to your cloth... Wolves finished as the 4th best defence in the country with players bought on a shoestring budget. Even the circus that is Newcastle conceeded less than us and anyone who knows anything about football could have predicted that a Rafa team of midgets would still be able to defend to a certain "advanced" level.

We know what our onfield problems are, in fact every EPL team has known/exploited it for the past few years; it's this coach's job to fix them with the resources he has available, resources he was well aware of before he took the job. No more excuses pls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    There are plenty abound. Duff and Dunk (Brighton CB pairing) are better than anyone we have apart from Sok and the late lamented Holding. (Kos is not aggressive enough and too fragile). Basically anyone is better than Mustafi.....apart from the United lot who are also crap. I wouldnt take anyone from their motley crew
    I always marvelled at AW's inabilty to recruit a decent domestic CB after the coup that was Sol.

It really confused me how a so called world class coach would watch his team get battered year after year, in a league known for producing great CBs, by the most basic of teams, playing the most basic of attacking styles. I still struggle to understand why his go-to response was to recruit an unnamed defender from an unfamiliar league in a mid level team that had won or was known for nothing!! (Merts being the only exception I can think of)

Its like choosing to die slowly of hypoglycemia in a candy shop!

Anyway I hope Emery is smart enough not to tread the same path.
    Last edited by 21_GOONER_SALUTE; 22-05-2019 at 08:50 PM. Reason: .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as we roll our eyes at the diabolical machine that is Man City.....someone the other day made a simple but good point on a radio station I was listening to. When they lose the ball, they give everything to win it back. There's no reason any other team can't do that. Of course you are more incentivised to do it if you have a genuine chance to win the league and your manager is Guardiola who would kick his Gran to the ground to win a game....but still. Money doesn't directly buy that kind of work ethic. ]

If we do nothing else to the team and defence other than to get them to run like maniacs when they've lost the ball....then Emery will improve us defensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wengers problem as ever was his fragile ego. If everyone says he has a poor defence. He will make sure that in the next window he buys midfielders or an attacker. If you tell him Maldini is available. He will buy Stepanovs to prove he can find his own Maldini. He is a man who held on to his job so tight, he squeezed the life out of it.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post

Its like choosing to die slowly of hypoglycemia in a candy shop!
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.