Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 people I know said he was a good player in Germany

WUMger ruined him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From everything we've seen doesn't look much good, really doesn't do a lot, if I'm honest I don't know what the point of him is, he doesn't bring anything to the teams he plays for, he just sits there does his 5 yard passing thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    The "shit pile" was under the watch, control and instruction of Wenger. If you're complaining about the spine then you're effectively making an excuse for Wenger because this is what he had to make do with.

The fact is we have a new boss man and he'll want to see what he has available to him before he starts to make changes.

Players don't forget how to play, you can only do so much under someone who has lost all the attributes that once made him great. Wenger failed to adapt and, eventually, so did his teams. No point throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Have some patience.

Spot on. I don't see how anyone can argue that we had a bad manager AND bad players.
    No manager should come in and completely dismantle the squad in one season. The argument that made sense to me was that Wenger wasn't getting the best out of them, wasn't setting up the team right, wasn't adjusting tactics depending on the opposition. At least give Emery a chance to work with this lot before making your "Emery Out" banners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post

Spot on. I don't see how anyone can argue that we had a bad manager AND bad players.
    Why not? Was it not the manager that chose to bring those players in and on the basis that he is a bad manager it goes to follow he may well have brought in bad players does it not?

Personally I agree it's a mix of both, the manager wasn't good enough but he also brought in sub standard players that we should have never signed in the 1st place, now it seems those substandard players are getting a 2nd chance and in some cases (Xkaka) a new contract.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Why not? Was it not the manager that chose to bring those players in and on the basis that he is a bad manager it goes to follow he may well have brought in bad players does it not?
    The results indicate they're not that bad. And that's with a manager who wasn't getting the best out of them, isn't tactically astute.

Last season was a car crash, granted. Even then we got to the semi-final of the Europa League and finished 6th - nowhere near good enough for a club of our size, but it was mostly the result of an unprecedentedly bad away form, if we'd been half decent away we'd have been much closer to the top 4. I don't think an away form that bad will be repeated. I think this squad is good enough to challenge for the top 4, the season before last we were close to top 4 and we won the FA Cup. This is not a bad squad. I think a manager who can get the best out of them could push this squad into the top 4 and build from then. I don't expect us to sweep all before us but no manager could achieve that, too many clubs have too much money now. But I wouldn't want any manager to have a massive clear out, let's at least see what Emery can get out of them first. If you think a bad manager can win trophies with them and the worst he managed to do is finish 6th then isn't it fair to see what a different manager could do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripps View Post

People expecting Emery to come in and sell all our players without assessing what he has

For years we've wanted a new spine and we're buying Leno, Sokratis and Torreira, with Lichtsteiner added in to give Bellerin some competition. That's a new spine full of experience and leaders.
    Looks like we're shaping up to be the Iceland of the PL. Workmanlike. Solid. And I suppose that's a start. Provided it's not the finish. An uninspiring start that will probably prevent us chucking games against the lower half of the table. Whether these experienced, salt of the earth types can do much against our supposed rivals, well hopefully they can.

Very short period between the end of the world cup and the transfer window closing, relative to normal seasons.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No manager should come in and completely dismantle the squad in one season. The argument that made sense to me was that Wenger wasn't getting the best out of them, wasn't setting up the team right, wasn't adjusting tactics depending on the opposition. At least give Emery a chance to work with this lot before making your "Emery Out" banners.
    Of course not one single person has called for the manager to go before a ball is kicked. But it's not a surprise you go there. In fact it would be surprising if you didn't.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The results indicate they're not that bad. And that's with a manager who wasn't getting the best out of them, isn't tactically astute.

Last season was a car crash, granted. Even then we got to the semi-final of the Europa League and finished 6th - nowhere near good enough for a club of our size, but it was mostly the result of an unprecedentedly bad away form, if we'd been half decent away we'd have been much closer to the top 4. I don't think an away form that bad will be repeated. I think this squad is good enough to challenge for the top 4, the season before last we were close to top 4 and we won the FA Cup. This is not a bad squad. I think a manager who can get the best out of them could push this squad into the top 4 and build from then. I don't expect us to sweep all before us but no manager could achieve that, too many clubs have too much money now. But I wouldn't want any manager to have a massive clear out, let's at least see what Emery can get out of them first. If you think a bad manager can win trophies with them and the worst he managed to do is finish 6th then isn't it fair to see what a different manager could do?
    Massive clear out? Is that what was being said?

I wonder will you ever stop your nonsense?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Looks like we're shaping up to be the Iceland of the PL. Workmanlike. Solid. And I suppose that's a start. Provided it's not the finish. An uninspiring start that will probably prevent us chucking games against the lower half of the table. Whether these experienced, salt of the earth types can do much against our supposed rivals, well hopefully they can.

Very short period between the end of the world cup and the transfer window closing, relative to normal seasons.
    It's boring, but the solid, workmanlike element is what we need to add to this team. We have a good foundation for the exciting side of things already (enough to be getting on with anyway), but without something stable to anchor it to it all just flies apart whenever we have to deal with any kind of adversity. As you say, it can't be the finish, but it does feel like the right place to start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    It's boring, but the solid, workmanlike element is what we need to add to this team. We have a good foundation for the exciting side of things already (enough to be getting on with anyway), but without something stable to anchor it to it all just flies apart whenever we have to deal with any kind of adversity. As you say, it can't be the finish, but it does feel like the right place to start.

Enough of the nimble, creative players. Time to give the team a backbone and bring in some men.