User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction Arsenal 1-2 Ostersunds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ View Post
    Shirt sponsorship is only one part of the club’s corporate revenue, the other one is the kit deal and various other endorsements and sponsorships.

It’s quite possible there is no depth to which we can sink to which the club would decide to terminate his contract early

But it’s equally possible the decision has been made that there will be no new contract

New staff brought in by Gazidis and Josh Kroenke coming in to take a more direct look at how things are going....none of this suggests that Kroenke is desperate to maintain the status quo.
    The Josh Kroenke visit is something to keep an eye on. I heard he wanted Henry to be a coach here and with Wenger really screwing that one up, maybe Josh isn't happy with Wenger. But it all comes back to Stan having the final word. We're supposed to be negotiating a new kit deal with Adidas. We'll see if we get short changed but I doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the apathy consistently on display now is probably more of a wake up call than a few boos and queer little Wenger out signs.

It's easy to brush off any boo boys as trouble makers but what about fans who just don't care enough anymore and waves of empty seats in the stadium? This club is having more of it's soul sucked out of it every season he remains manager.

HCZ
    We had problems negotiating with Adidas four years ago because they wouldn’t give us what we wanted. Arguably now are they going to be more or less inclined to give us what we want?

I think it’s possible Kroenkes regard for Wenger is overstated and he similarly had no issue sacking the last coach of the Rams.

He likes from what I can gather to avoid upheaval, but it’s just possible that with Gazidis putting his people in place that Kroenke will be convinced that by 2019 not offering Wenger a new contract will be relatively seamless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I think the apathy consistently on display now is probably more of a wake up call than a few boos and queer little Wenger out signs.

It's easy to brush off any boo boys as trouble makers but what about fans who just don't care enough anymore and waves of empty seats in the stadium? This club is having more of it's soul sucked out of it every season he remains manager.
    With Josh Kroenke in town, more empty seats, banners and boos will give him a good idea of how people feel about the club. There is no room for ambiguity. I'm sure Wenger would try to blame the empty seats on the cold weather, fixture time and day along with TFL fucking up train times. Those that go to games can play their part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had problems negotiating with Adidas four years ago because they wouldn’t give us what we wanted. Arguably now are they going to be more or less inclined to give us what we want?

I think it’s possible Kroenkes regard for Wenger is overstated and he similarly had no issue sacking the last coach of the Rams.

He likes from what I can gather to avoid upheaval, but it’s just possible that with Gazidis putting his people in place that Kroenke will be convinced that by 2019 not offering Wenger a new contract will be relatively seamless
    Four years ago we weren't signing star players so that could have been a major stumbling block for what we wanted and what Adidas were willing to give. Who knows. I'm just reporting on what I've seen in the press.

I've also heard that the club are still open to extending Wenger's contract. I hope it's bullshit but who knows.

HCZ
    Yes the same media reports that his future will be resolved one way or another this summer

On our current trajectory it’s hard to imagine they will outright award him a contract extension

I think it’s partly click bait and partly journalists being told “no options are off the table”.

We had signed Ozil the last time we negotiated with Adidas

Personally I don’t think anything will be decided one way or the other in the summer and we will probably go into the 2018-2019 season with the same uncertainty as two years beforehand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the same media reports that his future will be resolved one way or another this summer

On our current trajectory it’s hard to imagine they will outright award him a contract extension

I think it’s partly click bait and partly journalists being told “no options are off the table”.

We had signed Ozil the last time we negotiated with Adidas

Personally I don’t think anything will be decided one way or the other in the summer and we will probably go into the 2018-2019 season with the same uncertainty as two years beforehand
    We hadn't signed Ozil when we were negotiating with Adidas. The Puma deal was announced in May 2013. We signed Ozil in September 2013 on deadline day.

The Puma deal was announced in the last season we wore Nike. Any negotiations with Puma would have been before Ozil and probably when we had sold RVP to Utd.

HCZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    We hadn't signed Ozil when we were negotiating with Adidas. The Puma deal was announced in May 2013. We signed Ozil in September 2013 on deadline day.

The Puma deal was announced in the last season we wore Nike. Any negotiations with Puma would have been before Ozil and probably when we had sold RVP to Utd.
    And when we were still a champions league club and yes I know United weren’t when they got their Adidas deal but they are United.

Hmm I could swear the Puma deal was announced half way through the 13/14 season. But with grey strands to my hair comes faulty memory (found an article confirming the deal from May 2013)

I would only say that you’ve cited media that states Wenger getting a new deal is possible, well the media also reported that worrying about qualifying for the champions league might be a potential sticking point in any kit sponsorship negotiations with Addidas.

So in reality, no one really knows what is happening

The only one who has come out insisting about honouring his contract is Wenger himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And when we were still a champions league club and yes I know United weren’t when they got their Adidas deal but they are United.

Hmm I could swear the Puma deal was announced half way through the 13/14 season. But with grey strands to my hair comes faulty memory (found an article confirming the deal from May 2013)

I would only say that you’ve cited media that states Wenger getting a new deal is possible, well the media also reported that worrying about qualifying for the champions league might be a potential sticking point in any kit sponsorship negotiations with Addidas.

So in reality, no one really knows what is happening

The only one who has come out insisting about honouring his contract is Wenger himself.
    Yes, they're United and Adidas know they'll continue to buy star players which is what will drive shirt sales. Champions League is good for visibility but with our shitty CL performance record, I doubt it equates to an increase in shirt sales. Signing Aubmeyang, Mkhitryan and still having Ozil will probably have more of an effect on sales in certain regions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was trying to make this point with Dumbledore the other day. Even if we win the Caffiene cup I don't think that is automatically going to equate to a new contract for Wenger. There is a sufficient amount of time between this weekend and the end of the season that Wenger can virtually render the goodwill earned from any unlikely cup win as virtually void with poor results.

Having an FA cup final at the end of the season is in that respect very well timed as winning it sits at the forefront of the memory and it has the gravitas and history that the Cara doesn't. I think people are also tending to forget and underestimate how much strong fan criticism from Arsenal fans has begun to affect Wenger. Much as we think he is teflon to it, he wants to be wanted by Arsenal fans and the club. The Public Wenger out shows has simmered for a year or so because we won the FA cup last season but if he doesn't win anything and stays out the top 4 and even if he does win the Cara cup, that fan disdain is going to bubble back up to the surface, the banners will return and Wenger will be increasingly vexed by the public shows of disapproval. This will be at its crescendo by the season end and I don't think that is going to convince even Kroenke that the contract shouldn't just meet its natural respectable end and be left to play out without any further extension. All parties would keep whatever little respect they have salvaged then.

It also shouldn't be forgotten that in avoiding the same merry go around of will Wenger sign on or won't he we saw last season.....he could have been offered a 3/4/5 year contract in the summer instead of the 2 year but he wasn't. I think the 2 year extension was partly a means of safeguarding / insurance however timid a gesture it may seem to us fans who desperately want him out.

I don't expect him to walk or be sacked this summer but I am not expecting an extension unless something significant happens...ie he wins the Europa and or finishes top 4....and then he has to do something significant next season too.