User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction Arsenal 1-2 Ostersunds

HCZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    Yes, they're United and Adidas know they'll continue to buy star players which is what will drive shirt sales. Champions League is good for visibility but with our shitty CL performance record, I doubt it equates to an increase in shirt sales. Signing Aubmeyang, Mkhitryan and still having Ozil will probably have more of an effect on sales in certain regions.
    Will the biggest players sign for us, don’t get me wrong I loved that Aubemeyang signed for us but would we really have got him if there was real competition for him. Keeping Wenger shows a lack of ambition to prospective signings

Plus I think it does matter, a club’s international recognition hinges on it playing in the biggest competitions. And equally shirt sales increase for a player instrumental in their club’s success.

The club has always been marketable based on its sporting potential as a result of its healthy financial status. It doesn’t look good for sponsors to be propping up a stale brand.

Anyway to be honest. I think this is probably coming as a result of a negative mind set on your part. It’s hard not to be, but it’s very hard to see results like last night and results to come and think they won’t cast doubt into corporate sponsors and the man who calls the shots.

HCZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I was trying to make this point with Dumbledore the other day. Even if we win the Caffiene cup I don't think that is automatically going to equate to a new contract for Wenger. There is a sufficient amount of time between this weekend and the end of the season that Wenger can virtually render the goodwill earned from any unlikely cup win as virtually void with poor results.

Having an FA cup final at the end of the season is in that respect very well timed as winning it sits at the forefront of the memory and it has the gravitas and history that the Cara doesn't. I think people are also tending to forget and underestimate how much strong fan criticism from Arsenal fans has begun to affect Wenger. Much as we think he is teflon to it, he wants to be wanted by Arsenal fans and the club. The Public Wenger out shows has simmered for a year or so because we won the FA cup last season but if he doesn't win anything and stays out the top 4 and even if he does win the Cara cup, that fan disdain is going to bubble back up to the surface, the banners will return and Wenger will be increasingly vexed by the public shows of disapproval. This will be at its crescendo by the season end and I don't think that is going to convince even Kroenke that the contract shouldn't just meet its natural respectable end and be left to play out without any further extension. All parties would keep whatever little respect they have salvaged then.

It also shouldn't be forgotten that in avoiding the same merry go around of will Wenger sign on or won't he we saw last season.....he could have been offered a 3/4/5 year contract in the summer instead of the 2 year but he wasn't. I think the 2 year extension was partly a means of safeguarding / insurance however timid a gesture it may seem to us fans who desperately want him out.

I don't expect him to walk or be sacked this summer but I am not expecting an extension unless something significant happens...ie he wins the Europa and or finishes top 4....and then he has to do something significant next season too.
    That’s what I think I think the likelihood of him going in the summer is on a par with the likelihood of him getting a new contract...slim.

Even the last two contract awards have gone down to the wire. That after this season he’d get an extension a year ahead of time seems implausible

HCZ
    Drawn AC Milan in the Europa League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ;4440210[B
    ]Will the biggest players sign for us, don’t get me wrong I loved that Aubemeyang signed for us but would we really have got him if there was real competition for him[/B]. Keeping Wenger shows a lack of ambition to prospective signings

Plus I think it does matter, a club’s international recognition hinges on it playing in the biggest competitions. And equally shirt sales increase for a player instrumental in their club’s success.

The club has always been marketable based on its sporting potential as a result of its healthy financial status. It doesn’t look good for sponsors to be propping up a stale brand.

Anyway to be honest. I think this is probably coming as a result of a negative mind set on your part. It’s hard not to be, but it’s very hard to see results like last night and results to come and think they won’t cast doubt into corporate sponsors and the man who calls the shots.
    That's a entirely different argument. We have him now.

Plus you kill your own argument with the next highlighted line. Playing in the biggest competitions is a factor but it doesn't matter if you haven't got star players. Hence why the first Adidas deal fell through. We were playing in the Champions League for years but still couldn't get a good deal.

HCZ
    That's a entirely different argument. We have him now.

Plus you kill your own argument with the next highlighted line. Playing in the biggest competitions is a factor but it doesn't matter if you haven't got star players. Hence why the first Adidas deal fell through. We were playing in the Champions League for years but still couldn't get a good deal.
    In fairness?

In fairness you say enough to me for speculating for the reasons why things happen. all we know about the Addidas deal is that they weren’t prepared to pay what we were asking for.

Do we really have far more star quality than we had then for them to offer us what we want now despite no champions league forthcoming.

Here is what is fact

The deal with Puma was as I understand a record deal until United smashed it to fuck

Who knows why Addidas didn’t see us as a good investment at the time, but I’m not convinced having Aubemeyang and Ozil will necessarily be the tipping point for them if we are showing no likelihood of competing for top honours

But who knows.

In terms of what has happened as opposed to what might or might not happen there is evidence of Wenger being slowly diminished. The evidence (his last two contracts) points to the fact that a contract extension is unlikely to be given before 2019 (assuming its given at all which I think looks less likely as time goes by).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll soon find out. The kit deal is up soon and we'll see what happens.

In terms of Wenger's future, what makes me edgy is the fact that they're putting out stories about contract talks. That suggests to me that they're either looking to extend and want to find out what he wants to do. If they have no intention of handing him a new deal there is no need to even hold a talk with him this year.

HCZ
    We'll soon find out. The kit deal is up soon and we'll see what happens.

In terms of Wenger's future, what makes me edgy is the fact that they're putting out stories about contract talks. That suggests to me that they're either looking to extend and want to find out what he wants to do. If they have no intention of handing him a new deal there is no need to even hold a talk with him this year.
    Depends if they are planning to axe him early

Plus who knows even if these reports are true

I would still imagine that we will hear nothing and the speculation will begin afresh next season

HCZ
    Jesus have I really posted on this place over 400 times in the past four weeks ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ View Post
    Jesus have I really posted on this place over 400 times in the past four weeks ?
    The amount you post you must really have no life.
    Für eure Sicherheit

HCZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    The amount you post you must really have no life.