User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would Wenger win the league with another team?

New Signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    No.

Wenger was (no longer) good at buying technical players that were better than the normal rugged PL players at the time.

He was better at using the best health and fitness techniques, which gave his teams physical advantage.

He also inherited a “spirit” from a backbone of hardy diciplined (tactically) players, the dilution of which over time is plain to see.

He was of a time.

He is not tactically profficient. He doesn’t spot talent. He isn’t any good at developing players.

At this point in time, he simply puts faith in whatever eleven men he selects, following a training session which pretty much focuses on stats and ball retention. His philosophy is clearly “keep the ball until you cannot fail but walk the ball over the line, and if you can’t start again from the back”.

He is waaaaay past being able to manage himself, let alone a team of overpaid retards.

He will never win a title with another team, unless he plunders third world football.
    Yeah to be honest after Mac's reply I did kind of think it was a big fat no and that maybe it's just more of an indication how much I dislike the football we play under Mourinho, rather than how good I still think Wenger could be.

Tactically I think he may seem more negative now because he doesn't feel he can be as expressive because he gets hammered for it. But also that your squad is not up to it, whereas I genuinely believe that United have the players to do it.

New Signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    The PL is too competitive these days.
    Back in the day there was only one serious contender and Wenger's fitness techniques and knowledge of the overseas game - and a bit of steel from the old guard - helped lift us above them for a while.
    I don't think Wenger is as bad as many on here claim, but he's not good enough to win a PL title.
    Maybe with City's current squad which is on a different planet to everyone this year but that is unusual.
    He certainly wouldn't win it with Utd's squad.
    Yeah the level of competition is obviously far higher than in years gone by and I guess you lot know by now that he's just not going to change style or tact so there's little reason to believe in him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No is the answer to the question.