User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: CSKA Match Reaction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe he's getting a new deal so I think I'd be ok with him staying if we won the EL as I think we are in the transitional phase now of him finally doing one.
    We're not going win the league or CL anytime soon but at least it would be another trophy and success in Europe, which is something we haven't done in donkey's years. I can respect that.

If I felt he was going to be here for several more years then I wouldn't really give a shit about the EL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost everything at Arsenal is unbelievable. It's beyond belief Wenger is still here. So how much more unbelievable would it be if he got a new contract on the back of us somehow fluking the Europa? You discount the unbelievable with this club at your peril. I can clearly see the scenario where he gets a new contract.

Anyway, we have no chance whatsoever once we come up against a decent team. People underestimate just how bad we have been on this mini-run against the worst of the pub teams.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would the Europa be a fluke? The games I've seen recently in the competition we've played well and deserved to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Almost everything at Arsenal is unbelievable. It's beyond belief Wenger is still here. So how much more unbelievable would it be if he got a new contract on the back of us somehow fluking the Europa? You discount the unbelievable with this club at your peril. I can clearly see the scenario where he gets a new contract.

Anyway, we have no chance whatsoever once we come up against a decent team. People underestimate just how bad we have been on this mini-run against the worst of the pub teams.
    Spot on, nothing would surprise me with this club, probably one of the most money motivated clubs in football today, an old boys club where they reward their pals just because they can, this is what worries me, whilst I'd like to win the Europa, you could just imagine that in the euphoria the club would sneak in a new contract telling everyone there's noone better than him to take us forward.

Let's face it Wenger wants to stay and a Europa cup win would just about facilitate that without any real complaints from in large part a relatively indfferent group of fans, you can just see after a few wins how the discontent has fallen, it's that easy, so a new contract certainly isn't that far fetched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Why would the Europa be a fluke? The games I've seen recently in the competition we've played well and deserved to win.
    Against pub teams yes, although against Ostersunds we barly deserved it, Atletico are the only decent side in there and if we got them in the final there's always the chance of a lucky win (look at Liverpool when they beat us in the FA Cup final), circumstances, fortunate decisions, getting away with poor defending due to one team not being able to put the ball in the net for some inexpicable reason, we've seen it before.

We haven't played anyone decent yet in this competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    Jesus Christ Zim, can you stop with the petty attacks on "Wenger in" people?

Literally no on this place wants him to stay and barely anyone in the wider Arsenal fanbase does either. All it does it create divisions, aggravate people and make the place even more toxic than it already is.

We'd lose in a two leg tie I'm sure off but we may just be able to pull of a win in a one-off ala the Chelsea cup final last year.

I don't think they're better than us man for man tbh. The likes of Ozil, Mkhi & Lacazette are good enough to get into their team - I'd say it's pretty comparable. Where they completely shit us is as you say, the manager and tactics & setup which why they're favourites for this as long as they remain in it.
    Aye, anything is possible and it would take a Chelsea style FA Cup Final performance to beat them in a one-off, Wenger would need to do his homework and thoroughly for us to stand a chance.

The only thing I would question is that I am not so sure Mkhi or Lacazette would make their starting XI.

Their front 3 is essentially Griezmann, Costa and Thomas Partey. You could make a case for Mkhi getting the nod ahead of Thomas Partey...but he would not start ahead of Griezmann. Lacazette wouldn't start ahead of Costa.

Their keeper Oblak is in the top 3 best in the world for me, their defence is very good too...Godin is a world class CB IMO and would walk into our team, JuanFran their full back would walk into our team, Savic would also start for us too. You could argue Hernandez their full back may not get the nod over Monreal...but it's a close run thing. Even their backup CB Jose Gimenez who is actually a very good young CB would start for us.

In midfield...Saul and Koke would start ahead of Ramsey and Xhaka IMO, even their veteran Gabi would get in ahead of Xhaka.

It's all horses for courses and a mute point comparing like for like...the real difference is between the two managers like we have said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atleti won't sit back and admire us. They won't give us the time most of our players need on the ball before they are capable of stringing a couple of passes. Add on top of that a layer of Spanish footballing cynicism that we'll in no way plan for or try to counter.

We'd have a puncher's chance against them, but Wenger will set us up to punch ourselves in the face repeatedly.

Wenger needs to step aside and let somebody else prepare the squad for these games. He can still be manager and all, but just fuck off and don't interfere. That would increase our chances dramatically. But it will never happen. If anything, Wenger will be totally hands on for this because he knows his arse is on the line. So the players will have to be mega to get a result over two legs, beating Atleti AND Wenger. Close on impossible I'd say.

But maybe Atleti will get knocked out in the semis. Getting another team to do the job for us is our best chance.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh...

Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Unless Wenger is sacked tomorrow, latest, we're out. Guaranteed.

Guaranteed.

We should all know this by now as Arsenal fans that have suffered Wenger for so long.
    http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4168

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still worshiping at the altar?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To beat Atletico we'd have to be lucky, either they get knocked out before we meet them or we get lucky in the final, they're a far superior team and have a far superior manager to us, but football i a funny sport, you can dominate a game and create endless chances and still end up losing 1-0 through luck more than ability.

If Atletico perform and don't have some ort of terrible luck where things just won't go for them they'll win, their keeper is better, their defence is better, their midfield is better and even their attack is better, as NQ says we have a punchers chance, in a one off lucky game and we could win, but not through being the better team because we're not.

Atletico are a proper team, they're always there or thereabouts with the big prizes, they did have a poor start to this season but have recovered well, generally though they're in the title hunt and in the hunt for the CL.
    Last edited by Özim; 10-04-2018 at 01:34 PM.