User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Southampton (H). Sunday 2.15pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    When you could actually feel something, when there was a soul. When they played for you.

Merse I idolised him...fat cunt now mind.

Football got fucking lost didn’t it.
    Unrecognisable. You get the odd game every so often where you catch a glimpse of the old energy and commitment and passion, but the rest of the time you just endure it and wonder how the hell these mediocre players can get paid so much for not being able to do that much. They baulk at playing 2 games a week now, the poor lambs have to be rested up. Pampered posers made great by journos and pundits hyping the shit out of an essentially dead horse.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Nasri > Merse
    Can you imagine Nasri in that era? One tackle and he'd be retired to start a new career as a WAG.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merson pisses all over Nasri like Nasri pisses all over his men.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7-1 vs Sheffield Wednesday is still up there in my top 10.

Shittest game in the world. 1-1 with twenty minutes to go. Campbell comes on, volleys one in from the touchline, then we go mental. Merse chips one in from the edge of the box. Limpar scores a blinder....

Far more entertaining than anything these days. More singing, more fun. A team that was with you even when they were shit.

That club is no more. Ravaged by the modern game, and a history wiped out of the corridors at The “Emirates”. Fucking cunts.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gallas > Adams

Capi
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a little bit ironic that we're looking at 1992-1993, the first season of the Premier League, where all this began.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    It is a little bit ironic that we're looking at 1992-1993, the first season of the Premier League, where all this began.
    Not ironic really. The vampires hadn't gotten into their stride and were just starting out, eyeing up their feast. The game still had plenty of blood in it at that point.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No the vampires are what started the Premier League's inception. The whole point of the breakaway from the Football League is exactly what you despise.

Don't get me too wrong, there's a lot about modern football I do not like but there's a tendency to overdo the dewy-eyed sentiment.

We say for instance the players don't care as much which I would agree with as there are blatant careerists but how can we say we got the absolute optimum out of the players back then if they were getting pissed every Tuesday? Maybe that's what enhances the connection but I don't know, it just doesn't seem right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    You must be delusional. Or else you actually prefer backwards, sideways football to attacking football.
    Attacking football?
    We scored something like 40 goals in 42 league games. And I've said above there was a run of 15 league games in which we scored 5 goals. And that was in 5 different games, so that's 10 games where we didn't score at all and we won 2 out of 15.
    We were properly crap back then. In terms of the quality of player this squad is infinitely better.

BUT - yes overall I agree with you and LDG. Football in general was much, much better back then.
    Reading a book about Arsenal at the moment (Rebels For The Cause, quite good) and it's making me quite misty eyed about how things used to be, when players were mostly local lads who made it, when they "got" what playing for The Arsenal was about, when we were fans who had heroes, not customers funding obscenely paid mercenary players who you know will sod off the first time someone waves an even bigger truck of money at them.

Overall football is massively shit compared to how it used to be.

Football

And yes, I do blame Sky for a lot of this. They promised us "A Whole New Ball Game", I guess you have to admit they delivered

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Merse I idolised him...fat cunt now mind.
    Mate of mine saw some...thing with John Barnes, incongruously it was in Dubai.
    Anyway, he showed me a photo and Barnes has got really fat too