User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Arsene Wenger appreciation thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I was a teenager during that period and took it all for granted, I expected to win pretty much every game. You'd attend games at Highbury knowing full well that Henry was going to comb a couple in, Pires would pop up somewhere, Bergkamp would treat everyone to some magic etc. When we lost games it took a while to process because defeats were so rare, it was a really special time.
    I remember us losing a game one time and saying to someone "...I can't remember what to do when we lose!", it had been ages
    Always knew in the back of my mind that it probably wouldn't ever get better than that.
    I remember this moany twat sat next to my dad, one game a ball went through but too far in front of Henry who sort of half ran for it before giving up.
    The moany twat shouted "Henry, you're so lazy!"

I think this was towards the end of the Invincibles season when Henry scored 30 goals in 38 league games.

The bloke in front of the moany twat (who, for older GW members, was North Bank Nutter) stood up, turned round and said:
    "Mate, shut up! It really isn't going to get better than this so if you're still not happy then stop coming!"

Happy days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everything un-ravelled at the end of the unbeaten run. Honestly, I don't think we've recovered from it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Listen to Bob Wilson here. What a tribute

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/438...3fb7066729b3bb

Bob

Wow.

Wenger
    Bob

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Premier League wins:
    Arsene Wenger: 473
    Tottenham: 420

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Listen to Bob Wilson here. What a tribute

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/438...3fb7066729b3bb

Bob
    That's genuinely really touching.

For all of Arsene's faults as a manager in recent times, it seems as a person he is really highly regarded. He genuinely seems like a man who cares, not just about himself but about people in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Gunner View Post
    I think everything un-ravelled at the end of the unbeaten run. Honestly, I don't think we've recovered from it.
    I said on another message board that he should have bought in players after 2004 and was told I wasn't a fan. Haven't won the league since! You can't rest on your success, Fergie never did. I also think Chelsea's money knocked him for 6, he was doing fine until that happened.
    Last edited by Goonermerree; 20-04-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    It is the right thing to do.

We can get on with celebrating his time with us. He was brilliant for many years, and I will always remember what he did for us.

Thanks Arsene. You will be missed, but not missed if you know what I mean!

Legend.

*wipes tear*
    This. Thanks for the memories Arsene, and good timing re the announcement. Feels strange, but good to be able to celebrate Wenger without the bitterness now.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    I said on another message board that he should have bought in players after 2004 and was told I wasn't a fan. Haven't won the league since! You can't rest on your success, Fergie never did. I also think Chelsea's money knocked him for 6, he was doing fine until that happened.
    To be honest, I was thinking while doing the dishes. I guess the reason I was so calmed for the past ten years, was even though he won many things, I always saw his flaws even when he was looked up to by many. So by the time everyone began to throw stone, I'm just way past the point of caring.

Like when we have comments during matches, people complain he's too late in making subs, but the fact is, Wenger rarely makes good substitutions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal 5, tottenshite 2

Yes as recently as 2013 - the bad years - but don't forget how fun it was obliterating the smiles on the spuds fans' faces and showing up redkrapp for being the total utter f*****g c**t that he is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    That's genuinely really touching.

For all of Arsene's faults as a manager in recent times, it seems as a person he is really highly regarded. He genuinely seems like a man who cares, not just about himself but about people in general.
    Ferguc**t took time out of his whisky-drinking schedule to make extra sure to try to wind wenger up at every opportunity - a big compliment if you think about it