Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1181

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    No, no, no! Dude!

There's no EL miracle, there's no CL. Get that out of your head right now. That would be like a passenger on the Titanic asking if the ship was due to arrive on time, as it was slipping beneath the waves. Top 4 trophies, Europa Second Rate Champs - none of that is within our reach. Don't torture yourself with fantasies.

The remainder of this season has to be about us (the board, the manager, the players, the fans) adjusting to life as a post-Wenger, and therefore obviously second rate, mid-table team. If we can at least accept where we are then we can use that as a starting point to heading somewhere better. Right now though we're all still banging on about being a BIG club. Yeah, in terms of the past, or in terms of hyper inflated ticket prices. But in sporting terms and results? Until that desperate illusion is shattered we'll just keep making big plans for la-la land instead of the harsh reality of a competitive league where every team can beat you if you aren't on your game. Luiz is a symptom of that fantasy. A Brazilian international that has pubbed across the top leagues in Europe for transfer fees that amazed us all (not in the good way). The bloke who helped ship 7 against Germany when the chips were down. But the PR story and the transfer fees went on regardless. Fantasy football at its finest. Fits right in with our delusions of grandeur.
    You're probably right, but football is about dreaming or it should be, something we could never do under Wenger in the latter years. I guess I'm just hoping we can get a decent manager in who knows how to pick his best 11 and knows how to structure the team and drill them properly. Defensively we'll struggle because our CBs are absolute rubbish, ut maybe we can improve a bit if we can somehow get them to play more as a unit and cover for each as well as provide cover in front of the defence (Torreira is capable of that).

As for Luiz, I'm in total agreement, but we have history of signing duds like this, Silvestre remember him, the calamity at Man U people laughed at until we signed him (then we made out he would be good), Welbeck a guy who was more suite to rugby than football with his awful aim at goal, Luiz is just next in line, a guy whose track record proves he can't defend, yet we a club with one of the worse defences in the league decide he would be a safe bet to help improve our defence, makes you realise the sheer level incompetence at this club really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Welbeck a guy who was more suite to rugby than football with his awful aim at goal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Top 4 trophies, Europa Second Rate Champs - none of that is within our reach.
    Why not?
    Last season we were a point or two away from a top 4 finish. But for an awful run-in we'd have sailed into the top 4.
    And we got to the Europa League final.
    With the right signings last summer and the right manager why is it unthinkable that we could have pushed on?
    I wasn't doing cartwheels about Emery's first season but it was OK, certainly something to build on.
    There was no reason to think we couldn't push for top 4 this year and before the season started I actually fancied us to finish in the top 4.
    We were close enough last season to suggest it's not beyond us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The club are favouring Arteta apparently, utterly embarrassing to appoint him, I guess he'll be cheap and wil tow the line though and accept that 4th is success if he can get it.

If we employ this guy it will most likely end in disaster and show this club has zero ambition, no other big club would even contemplate someone with no experience as manager, especially in the situation we're in.

We really are becoming a 2nd rate small time example of a football club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post

If we employ this guy it will most likely end in disaster and show this club has zero ambition, no other big club would even contemplate someone with no experience as manager, especially in the situation we're in.

We really are becoming a 2nd rate small time example of a football club.
    Chelsea employed lampard rangers employed gerrard. No experience but big clubs. Pep at Barcelona

So it does happen. Think it is more not the appointment we need. We need experience and i think english league experience. I dont think we need a top name as such but someone organised who has a game plan. So the players can kow what they are doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    Chelsea employed lampard rangers employed gerrard. No experience but big clubs. Pep at Barcelona

So it does happen. Think it is more not the appointment we need. We need experience and i think english league experience. I dont think we need a top name as such but someone organised who has a game plan. So the players can kow what they are doing.
    Lampard proved himself at Derby and did very well. Rangers are in the Scottish League, comparatively that's an easy league, Pep had managed Barcas' 2nd team I believe, night and day really.

You're right we do need some experienced, would be a mistake not to go for someone with experience, doesn't necessarily have to be experience in England IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Arteta will come in with much built-in respect from the players, he'll have to earn it and with the mess we're in i'm not convinced he will

We 100% need a heavyweight with good experience, no question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta would more or less guarantee our relegation. Who's his background staff. Who is going to coach our dumb veteran's in defense. Tell our midfielders when to go or stay. Employing him will make sure lacazette and Auba head for the 3xit door sharpish. We are in a relegation battle as of today. Who in their right minds employs a novice to steer a once great club away from disaster. Mind totally boggles.

Papers saying, the former Bayern coach Kovac will be at the match today and badly wants the job. Looks like he may be the only person in the world who actually wants it apart from Arteta that is
    Last edited by Globalgunner; 09-12-2019 at 08:49 AM.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    linked with kovac and the ex Valencia manger.

are these guys any good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    linked with kovac and the ex Valencia manger.

are these guys any good?
    #Better than Arteta
    Make 2mrw better than 2day