User Tag List

Page 43 of 119 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta and Brendan are up there as favourites to manage Arsenal. Lots of people working under good managers fail as managers, look at Steve McLaren for one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got round to watching MOTD last night and Wrighty was backing Arteta - he said he'd give some of the players 'the kick up the backside they needed'

all well and good but there's a bit more to it than that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoffenheim manager staying put

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralpheroo72 View Post
    this is all just proving the club left it too late before ditching Wenger - the damage is already done, prospective managers thinking there's too much hard work to be done: dreadful away record; knocked out of the Europa the first time we meet a decent team; sixth in the league and miles off the CL spots; and a lot of work needed with the squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralpheroo72 View Post
    Smart move on his part. If he's developing a good reputation he has plenty of time to work his way up rather than jump straight into the deep end.

One thing Arsenal will be doing for a lot of managers out there is improving their negotiating positions with their own clubs.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only thing I feel for sure is that the possibility of appointing Arteta makes me a hell of a lot less apprehensive than if Wenger was sticking around for another year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too impressed with these Arteta rumours for a number of reasons, firstly assistant managers don't seem to make good managers, look at Mclaren and Queiroz for example (not sure what they do to be honest, Ferguson had success regardless of his assistants), secondly Arteta had no leadership qualities at all on the field and by all intents and purposes wasn't much of a player for us. Add that to the fact he has no experience at management level and you can see why this would be underwhelming.

Allegri would make much more sense as would any manager with experience, if we had to have some former player Vieira would be my choice as at least he had something about him on the field.

The Arsenal job is a tough one, you don't follow a man who has been in a job 22 years and have an easy time, hence the need for someone who know what they're doing, a pop tart would have more authority than Arteta, Guardiola delivered the success at City not him, proof in the pudding is Guardiola's record at other clubs where he achieved pretty much the same, the guy wins stuff at big clubs with money to spend.

Anyway hopefully it's not him but if it is we need to give him a chance, would be an odd choice though really for such a big club like us, he's not even Arsenal through and through, was nothing more than a bit part player for us for the time he was here.
    Last edited by Özim; 15-05-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Arteta had excellent on-field leadership qualities. Maybe not screaming at everyone, but if you needed a guy to step up in a pressure situation Arteta was your man.

My main fear is he's too young and too recently close to the club to easily earn the respect (fear) of the players.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I think Arteta had excellent on-field leadership qualities. Maybe not screaming at everyone, but if you needed a guy to step up in a pressure situation Arteta was your man.

My main fear is he's too young and too recently close to the club to easily earn the respect (fear) of the players.
    Not convinced to be honest, I never saw him excel, he was never one to take hold of a game or motivate players when the chips were down, if things were going again us he wasn't one to make things happen or reverse the flow. IMO he was a better player for Everton and more of a creator than anything else, never there to lead the team. As I said before, Guardiola didn't need him in reality, he'd have won as he has with or without him as he's shown at other clubs where he also had money. The assistants role is vastly overstated IMO, their impact on success is minimal and they often prove not to be good managers.

I'm not sure he'll get much respect either that I agree with, on the pitch he was never anything special, unlike the Henrys and Vieiras of this world and he's never managed, think it's very rare to have a player like this take over a big club without any experience and become a success, the job at Arsenal is even hard IMO, so even less so with us.
    Last edited by Özim; 15-05-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talking about what they did as a player and attributing that to a managerial role is as irrelevant as what they do as an assistant.