Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Or any other manager ever's.
    Maybe not Mourinho's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    I really can't understand the rush for Arteta and why they'd pass up on so many candidates eligible for the role with way more experience. They must know something.
    We're assuming it's a rush, but I seem to remember us offering Arteta a final year's extension as a player when he could barely play, and I think he pretty much used that time to get his coaching badges at the club? Could be that this is a move that's actually a few years in the making?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how for one of the most coveted jobs in world football, the only real candidate we have has managed 0 games at any level!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Make no mistake, the new guy is going to be the coach, not the manager in the traditional sense.

It's not just Wenger leaving, it's a complete change in management structure. This is where Gazidis earns his money.
    Spot on. Every new signing is now down to Mislintat spotting him and that Raul guy closing the deal. We're even heavily linked to a £35m CB today with no manager consulted. Gazidis is playing a dangerous game by appointing Arteta; the Kroenkes will axe him if it doesn't work out. But there's some noises that Mikel is actually a ruthless cunt and that is strangely comforting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFC Leveller View Post
    Funny how for one of the most coveted jobs in world football, the only real candidate we have has managed 0 games at any level!
    Certainly used to be a top job when we were a top club. But we've dropped a level now and everyone knows it. Is it a step up or a step down to leave Juve for Arsenal? We aren't a CL club any more. Would Simeone leave the team that beat us in the EL to come here? Would any of the managers at the mancs clubs, Liverpool or even the spuds leave to come here? Wenger took us down a level and we're not the draw we used to be.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    We're assuming it's a rush, but I seem to remember us offering Arteta a final year's extension as a player when he could barely play, and I think he pretty much used that time to get his coaching badges at the club? Could be that this is a move that's actually a few years in the making?
    Rush is the wrong. I’ll rephrase. Why Arteta? Out of all the candidates, why him? My hope is that they’ve seen and heard good things about him. It can’t just be a case of wanting someone cheap or someone to control. At least I hope not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Certainly used to be a top job when we were a top club. But we've dropped a level now and everyone knows it. Is it a step up or a step down to leave Juve for Arsenal? We aren't a CL club any more. Would Simeone leave the team that beat us in the EL to come here? Would any of the managers at the mancs clubs, Liverpool or even the spuds leave to come here? Wenger took us down a level and we're not the draw we used to be.
    We could've got Pochettino if we wanted. Wenger was the highest paid manager for UEFA cup qualification. We could double Allegri and Simeone's salary without breaking sweat. We could've got these guys. Either the club is being cheap or they really, really believe in Arteta, who has been rumoured to be the no.1 choice since February. There's evidence that Arteta's their main man even though he's the most unpredictable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    We could've got Pochettino if we wanted. Wenger was the highest paid manager for UEFA cup qualification. We could double Allegri and Simeone's salary without breaking sweat. We could've got these guys. Either the club is being cheap or they really, really believe in Arteta, who has been rumoured to be the no.1 choice since February. There's evidence that Arteta's their main man even though he's the most unpredictable.
    Not so sure Wenger's 10 mill contract was on the table. Seems there will be 3 guys running the football side of things now, in different capacities. I suspect the money is being distributed accordingly. And it's not just the money. There's a big job to do at Arsenal, the sort of job that can make currently successful managers look like van Gaal should it go wrong. The media never tired of telling us what a genius he was when he arrived. Now he's a laughing stock.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Not so sure Wenger's 10 mill contract was on the table. Seems there will be 3 guys running the football side of things now, in different capacities. I suspect the money is being distributed accordingly. And it's not just the money. There's a big job to do at Arsenal, the sort of job that can make currently successful managers look like van Gaal should it go wrong. The media never tired of telling us what a genius he was when he arrived. Now he's a laughing stock.
    True -- money is the only way we could attract those managers and it's possible after bringing in Raul and Sven that a role with reduced responsibility wouldn't command Wenger's current salary. Just trying to find positives, there's a possibility that the guy who had the balls to sack Wenger and bring in Dortmund's elite scout and Barca's chief negotiations man also had a long term plan on what sort of first team coach would fit the bill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Rush is the wrong. I’ll rephrase. Why Arteta? Out of all the candidates, why him? My hope is that they’ve seen and heard good things about him. It can’t just be a case of wanting someone cheap or someone to control. At least I hope not.
    This is just a guess, but I think we're going to increasingly see the top clubs applying the same kind of logic to appointing first team coaches as they do to acquiring key players: you either go for one of the very best, established options on the market, in which case you're going to have to spend big; or, if you can't find exactly what you're looking for (or you're not prepared to stump up 15m/yr in wages and nearly a quarter of a billion in folding money) then you try and find the next big thing and make your own.

Those somewhere-in-between options - the established names who are good, but not the very, very best - don't seem to interest the top clubs where key players are concerned, so I reckon a lot of these clubs might now be starting to think 'why bother with them as first team coaches' either?

I think I generally agree with the candidates that we've been looking at so far - the only one that I don't understand why we haven't shown more interest in is Jardim?