User Tag List

Page 52 of 119 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubameyang's Wang View Post
    Allegri wanted £200m for transfers, Enrique wanted a high wage.

Both Top managers with experience of winning countless trophies.

Both commanding some form of monetary expenditure to take the job.

So we look at the cheap option.
    Same old, same old then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubameyang's Wang View Post
    Allegri wanted £200m for transfers, Enrique wanted a high wage.

Both Top managers with experience of winning countless trophies.

Both commanding some form of monetary expenditure to take the job.

So we look at the cheap option.

Don't get me wrong, Arteta 'could' turn out to be brilliant and lead us to new success. But he could could also be shit. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking this is some form of genius move by the club as it just smacks of penny pinching and hoping for the best.
    We don't know any of that, it's all media speculation. Why would any of the parties involved talk to the media? Or confirm any of these "facts"?

The journos don't give a shit what they write provided they get clicks, and they never seem to get punished when they are found out. People keep on clicking and their "facts" keep on rolling out.

Wenger was on 10mill a year because he's been at the club for 22 years. That's pay hike after pay hike after pay hike. There was nothing to say we were going to pay the new guy the same money. Why would we? We aren't looking for one guy to run the whole show any more, we're looking for the opposite. If Allegri really did want 200 mill for transfers then maybe we said, forget it, transfers will be taken care of by somebody else. Maybe he didn't like that? I'm speculating just as much as the media. I don't know, they don't know.

If Arteta is coming to be a coach (rather than a general manager), which is highly likely, no reason to pay him big bucks because he'll have a third of the job description Wenger had. And if we want the role spread around, no reason to hire somebody who wants full control. Maybe this is why we aren't after a big, experienced name.

Looking at Arsenal's track record it's easy to say we are going cheap. But recent signings suggest otherwise. Aubameyang is supposedly the second highest paid player in the league (along with bonuses), and we have another 50 mill striker beside him. We're paying Ozil a fortune too. The money is being spent, but it is being spent in other areas. Good areas. Players on the pitch.

I'm not so keen to simply assume Arteta has been picked because he's cheap. It could still be the case, but we know as much of the truth as the media - which is none of it, at this stage.

Anyway, Arteta hasn't said yes yet. I'm sure he doesn't want to be Moyes v2. He's got plenty to think about before accepting.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that the new manager would have £200m to spend.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...ransfer-gossip

Most of what the papers print is bullshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    None of us are privy to what goes on behind the scenes and how people like Arteta are regarded in the game. The new regime hasn't given us a reason to doubt them as of yet, they negated the blow of losing Alexis and finally managed to get Wenger out. It's been a good start for them but now it's time for them to make a reputation-defining decision. I'm intrigued and most importantly ready to back the club 100% for the first time in years.
    Aye, the work Gazidis and the new guys have put in this season has been very impressive to be honest, very pragmatic and none of that dithering that Wenger was famous for.

I am not against Arteta as such, I have concerns which are understandable but I'll give him 100% support assuming we appoint him.

He has a lot of work to do with the team though, it's a big job to take on, even for an experienced manager because the expectations are such that we want improvement. I want to see clear tangible progess next season irrespective of who is managing the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    I read that the new manager would have £200m to spend.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...ransfer-gossip

Most of what the papers print is bullshit.
    It's believable. We generate a lot of money as a Football club, I never once believed those 50million budget rumours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Guillem Balague, Gazidis like Arteta AND Benitez, he feels the fat waiter can bring stability to the club but Sven and Raul dont want Rafa.

also, Pochetinho told Arteta 2 years ago (when he was about to join City) that he should go straight to number 1 as he has the quality and personality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    You mean the style that Pep just won the league with, being the first manager to reach 100 points?

Or the style that both Klopp & Pochettino employ that's won them both jack shit so far?

At any rate you being too focused on style rather than what's effective and gets results it's pretty ironic seeing as you were always moaning at Wenger for being too rigid.
    Yes, found it boring at Barca and find it boring now at City, Liverpools is far easier on the eye, they also knocked City out of the CL, difference is I guess that Liverpool haven't spent hundreds of millions. Thing about Guardiola is he does win, but he does it at either a club with more money than anyone else or a club already on top, in the CL he wasn't much kop with Bayern and hasn't been great with City.

He clearly knows how to win, but he wins at clubs already well established.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always thought as a big club we'd try and get someone top notch, seems we might not be thinking that way, for me though it would be Vieira over Arteta, he'd have instant respect for a start, might not work out but for me he'd be the preferred option (plus he's one of Arsenal greatest players - Real did it with Zidane), doing a decent job in the US as well even though that isn't a top league.

Arteta has never managed at all and I haven't personally seen any obvious qualities that might make him a good manager, never ever saw any kind of ruthlessness in him either, as Cripps said he was pretty average overall for us, would be a very odd choice really.

Guardiola seems good friends with Arteta (probably due to being Spanish) that probably helped him decide to have him as number 2, like I said Guardiola has won whoever his number 2 was, so it's not like they have a part in his successes. As I said before Mclaren, Queiroz were supposedly top notch number 2s, as managers however they were bang average, sometimes think managers talk up their impact so they get some credit, truth is if you look at top managers they succeed regardless of their assistants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Zim on this. PepBall is boring. The gypos hit over a thousand passes in a single game on at least one occasion this season. It might be clever and technical and soul destroying for the opposition, but it's even harder on those having to watch. I don't want to see long ball bombardments either, but the sweet spot for entertainment is somewhere between the two. If we continue to see tip tap Pep/ Wenger style in the coming pre-season it really doesn't matter what else happens because it just won't be fun to watch the football. Wenger's early teams were a hundred times better to watch than anything Pep has ever put out. I saw a stupid article in a rag today that claimed Pep's mercs are MORE STYLISH on the pitch than Wenger's early teams (Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, etc). What a laugh. It's not even close. Arsenal's transition from defence to attack in 10 seconds flat, compared to Pep's transitions over 10 minutes? Forget about it.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I'm with Zim on this. PepBall is boring. The gypos hit over a thousand passes in a single game on at least one occasion this season. It might be clever and technical and soul destroying for the opposition, but it's even harder on those having to watch. I don't want to see long ball bombardments either, but the sweet spot for entertainment is somewhere between the two. If we continue to see tip tap Pep/ Wenger style in the coming pre-season it really doesn't matter what else happens because it just won't be fun to watch the football. Wenger's early teams were a hundred times better to watch than anything Pep has ever put out. I saw a stupid article in a rag today that claimed Pep's mercs are MORE STYLISH on the pitch than Wenger's early teams (Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, etc). What a laugh. It's not even close. Arsenal's transition from defence to attack in 10 seconds flat, compared to Pep's transitions over 10 minutes? Forget about it.
    Spot on our football was amazing, Guardiolas teams are a snoozefest, when you watch Liverpool however, the way they attack at pace is quite something, people seem to love Guardiola, but in truth he's had it easy, Barca, Bayern, City all either the best/richest or both, clesrly he knows how to put expensive teams together (not all managers do of course), he won the CL at Barca but he already had Messi when he took over which was a massive help, every else so far he's failed however.

Wenger tried to replicate his brand of football, didn't work and to be honest was boring to watch, I'd really love a change of philosophy, something that doesn't involve 500-600 of passes a game, Arteta openly said he loved our football and he clearly loves it at City too, another worry for me about him.

If he gets the job I'll give him a chance but I would expect some serious signs he's changing stuff and trying to move the club forward.