User Tag List

Page 56 of 119 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't care what calibre of player they were for us, a lot of great managers haven't been outstanding players.
    I wouldn't want either, I'd rather have somewhere who has been there and done it at a top club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I really don't care what calibre of player they were for us, a lot of great managers haven't been outstanding players.
    I wouldn't want either, I'd rather have somewhere who has been there and done it at a top club.
    How many managers who were not particularly good players get their 1st job with no management experience at a top club though, the reality is Arteta wasn't even Arsenal through and through, he was a panic buy who never partcularly established himself with us, his best days seemed to be with Everton. I know he was captain at one point, but this was at a time we weren't very good and he never really inspired the team to better things.

I'd understand it if he'd proved himself somewhere else, but getting the job with no experience with us is odd.

Yeah I agree with that, or even someone like Jardim who has shown some talent at management level at least.
    Last edited by Özim; 17-05-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Meanwhile the guy too ugly for Arsenal is helping himself to another honour with a club that has a fraction of our budget.
    Amazing manager to be honest, tactically brilliant, has an eye for a top player, instill real discipline and belief in his teams and wins stuff. Has his detractors but he's proven.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    How many managers who were not particularly good players get their 1st job with no management experience at a top club though
    Not many, but I'm not sure how relevant that is. His quality as a player has no bearing on his potential quality as a manager.

I'd understand it if he'd proved himself somewhere else, but getting the job with no experience with us is odd.
    Agreed, although that would apply to him or Vieira - the latter would have a few more good will points because he was a proper Arsenal legend, doesn't mean he'd do any better.

As others have said it seems that the new manager will have a far less far-reaching role than Wenger ended up having which can only be a good thing, especially for someone new to management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not many, but I'm not sure how relevant that is. His quality as a player has no bearing on his potential quality as a manager.

Agreed, although that would apply to him or Vieira - the latter would have a few more good will points because he was a proper Arsenal legend, doesn't mean he'd do any better.

As others have said it seems that the new manager will have a far less far-reaching role than Wenger ended up having which can only be a good thing, especially for someone new to management.
    Vieira at least is managing and is doing a good job albeit in the MLS, but at least he has some experience, plus he the fact he's a legend will give him instant respect, from players and fans. Arteta not so much, nothing about him stands out, doesn't stand out as a leader, isn't a great, has no experience, not exactly a glittering cv, given the next man replaces Wenger a man in charge for 22 years it seems even stranger we'd be looking at him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree it would be a strange appointment, I wouldn't regard Vieira's as any less strange although I agree some would because of his playing days with us.
    I never understand why some people think that great player for us = great manager for us. Rarely follows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree it would be a strange appointment, I wouldn't regard Vieira's as any less strange although I agree some would because of his playing days with us.
    I never understand why some people think that great player for us = great manager for us. Rarely follows.
    If we are going down the cheap route though why not Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche surely they would make more sense than Arteta. If it was Simeone or Allegri competing for the job then that's different. But at least Howe and Dyche have managed and done a good job on minimal resources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Vieira at least is managing and is doing a good job albeit in the MLS, but at least he has some experience, plus he the fact he's a legend will give him instant respect, from players and fans. Arteta not so much, nothing about him stands out, doesn't stand out as a leader, isn't a great, has no experience, not exactly a glittering cv, given the next man replaces Wenger a man in charge for 22 years it seems even stranger we'd be looking at him.
    Strange to us. Yes.

But they have more information than we do and in Gazidis’s case, his job could be on the line here. It looks as if they are carrying out their due diligence here and their moves over the past year have been sound. Therefore I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt regardless of who they appoint. Well within reason.

Bear in mind, we are appointing a Coach type Manager that will be easy to get rid of if it looks like not working out.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually wouldnt mind Dyche, he is a very good coach and has Burnley in Europe!

But he wont ever be considered by the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly Tony Adams should be manager.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.