Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about David O'Leary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I agree it would be a strange appointment, I wouldn't regard Vieira's as any less strange although I agree some would because of his playing days with us.
    I never understand why some people think that great player for us = great manager for us. Rarely follows.
    It doesn't no, however, Guardiola and Zidane seem to have been successes and they most likely got instant respect from the players and fans when they took over, that goes a long way if things don't start well. If Arteta starts badly I doubt he'll get as much leeway as maybe someone like Allegri or indeed even Vieira, if we lost a few games early on the pressure will mount, that's the problem with an appointment like this, almost needs to be an instant hit or else things will turn. I know people say they will support whoever comes in, it's an easy thing to say, however if he lost 4 games in a row and took a hammering at the hands of our rivals people will be quick to point out he has no experience and should have never got the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikel’s Magic Hat View Post
    Strange to us. Yes.

But they have more information than we do and in Gazidis’s case, his job could be on the line here. It looks as if they are carrying out their due diligence here and their moves over the past year have been sound. Therefore I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt regardless of who they appoint. Well within reason.

Bear in mind, we are appointing a Coach type Manager that will be easy to get rid of if it looks like not working out.
    Is Gazidis job on the line though? How often does a manager get employed not workout and is then replaced without anyone losing their job. Surely due dilligence would point against giving someone who's never managed the job though, logic certainly does, especially given he has no real standing with the fans or indeed players.

There's no doubt though that if Arteta gets the job he needs to do a pretty good job in his first season or he'll be out, that's a lot of pressure, someone like Allegri would get more goodwill, not convinced a man who has never managed will be able to deal with that kind of pressure given that he's never experienced it, I know it's not the same but even as our captain he didn't really captain the side well, during his spell we were not particularly good.

From what's been reported, Gazidis just liked Arteta when he was at the club (much like Pochettino and Guardiola do), that doesn't translate to him being a good manager though and the fact he's seemingly so liked doesn't seem to point to a ruthless character either.
    Last edited by Özim; 17-05-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Arteta must be rubbing his hands together at the chance of getting a job at a top club as his first job in management based on a couple of his friends recommending him and Gazidis being on friendly terms with him.

I could understand it more if it was someone like Vieira, a guy who was a top player for us, but for a player of the calibre of Arteta to then get the job when he's never managed would really only happen at a club like Arsenal.
    It really makes no sense to appoint him. Let's think about this with a clear head, we are apparently close to appointing a new manager who has ZERO management experience, it's actually laughable.

I personally think it's an unnecessary gamble. I have nothing against Arteta and will back him 100% if he gets the job but I would much rather him audition his managerial skills elsewhere.

I am happy to be proven wrong and hope he is an instant success...but as said...it's a huge gamble because we are not in great shape right now so a lot of things need to change. Is Arteta really the man to implement these changes?!
    Last edited by selassie; 17-05-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikel’s Magic Hat View Post
    Strange to us. Yes.

But they have more information than we do and in Gazidis’s case, his job could be on the line here. It looks as if they are carrying out their due diligence here and their moves over the past year have been sound. Therefore I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt regardless of who they appoint. Well within reason.

Bear in mind, we are appointing a Coach type Manager that will be easy to get rid of if it looks like not working out.
    Exactly. They must have real faith in Arteta. They’ve been meticulous with every other appointment thus far. It sounds like they have done their due diligence. I wasn’t in favour of this appointment at first but had to think about why they’d risk it all on Arteta.

If they wanted a cheap option with experience, they could go for Howe, Dyche, Rodgers…etc. If they really wanted to con the fans, Vieira or Henry could do the trick. It’s the cheap option, their club legends and popular amongst the fans….

If things go wrong for Arteta, it falls back on senior management for making that decision. They’d have nowhere to hide. They must really believe in Arteta is the next big thing if he gets the job. This won’t go down as a popular decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    It really makes no sense to appoint him. Let's think about this with a clear head, we are apparently close to appointing a new manager who has ZERO management experience, it's actually laughable.
    No it doesn't, there's other candidates out there, candidates we could get if we wanted them enough, they might cost big money but tha'ts what it takes if you want the best, Allegri, Simeone etc, you can't tell me none of those guys would want to manage a huge club like us in the PL and have the chance to make us successful again, seeing as we've just ended up 6th it won't be to hard to improve us either.

Liverpool got Klopp other clubs have got top managers when they've wanted them, we on the other hand seem to be more interested in bringing in someone with no experience, I find that incredibly odd, especially given the fact he's following Wenger who's been in charge 22 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it doesn't, there's other candidates out there, candidates we could get if we wanted them enough, they might cost big money but tha'ts what it takes if you want the best, Allegri, Simeone etc, you can't tell me none of those guys would want to manage a huge club like us in the PL and have the chance to make us successful again, seeing as we've just ended up 6th it won't be to hard to improve us either.

Liverpool got Klopp other clubs have got top managers when they've wanted them, we on the other hand seem to be more interested in bringing in someone with no experience, I find that incredibly odd, especially given the fact he's following Wenger who's been in charge 22 years.
    Yep, I personally think we are doing this the wrong way round. Bring in an experienced head now to shake things up and steady the ship, then appoint a Vieira or Arteta or whoever once things are a bit more stable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Yep, I personally think we are doing this the wrong way round. Bring in an experienced head now to shake things up and steady the ship, then appoint a Vieira or Arteta or whoever once things are a bit more stable.
    Agreed, this isn't the time for a rookie, let someone like that take over once we're back in a good place, don't throw them in the deep end after 22 years of Wenger where so much change is required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a difference between having the experience and the qualities to perform the role. I purposely say role because the job seems to be constructed so that it bears almost no resemblance to the role Wenger had.

If we were going to pick a traditional manager with experience, there are a plethora of duffers out there with experience coming out their asses. Sadly, in most instances it seems their football was pulled out of the same orifice.

I’m not saying Arteta is the right or wrong choice, but if he is the choice it is bold in that they are taking a risk by giving greater prevalence to his qualities over experience. It could also be a bold choice in terms of the Club wanting to implement a novel approach to managing the team in a way that established managers aren’t necessarily going to want to work.

Who knows? Its all up in the air?

But at least we are now doing SOMETHING that takes us out of the stagnation we have endured for years.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    however if he lost 4 games in a row and took a hammering at the hands of our rivals people will be quick to point out he has no experience and should have never got the job and Letters was right all along and Wenger should definitely have stayed.
    Fixed your post