0 Thread(s)
    Wenger has just backed him:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44150823

That's enough to convince me he shoudn't get the job

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incidentally, I do think a manager should have a say in who is signed by the club, they manage the team after all, they should have final say on who comes in (people can mke suggestions and give informed opinions, but if you're building something you should be able to choose the tools you use).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikel’s Magic Hat View Post
    There is a difference between having the experience and the qualities to perform the role. I purposely say role because the job seems to be constructed so that it bears almost no resemblance to the role Wenger had.

If we were going to pick a traditional manager with experience, there are a plethora of duffers out there with experience coming out their asses. Sadly, in most instances it seems their football was pulled out of the same orifice.

I’m not saying Arteta is the right or wrong choice, but if he is the choice it is bold in that they are taking a risk by giving greater prevalence to his qualities over experience. It could also be a bold choice in terms of the Club wanting to implement a novel approach to managing the team in a way that established managers aren’t necessarily going to want to work.

Who knows? Its all up in the air?

But at least we are now doing SOMETHING that takes us out of the stagnation we have endured for years.
    It seems to me that what we are implementing is just the standard thing that has been implemented everywhere else, I.E. Chelsea, Liverpool, to a lesser extent at Spurs, City and United and of course at European clubs like Real and Barca etc.

I am sure Arteta will have a say in transfers, he won't have the power of Wenger...but then we wouldn't want anyone to regardless of who they are.

I do agree it's all up in the air...but it does concern me the amount of talk of Arteta.

We are Arsenal Football Club, we are a big club going through a difficult transition, why complicate it by bringing in a novice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    It really makes no sense to appoint him. Let's think about this with a clear head, we are apparently close to appointing a new manager who has ZERO management experience, it's actually laughable.

I personally think it's an unnecessary gamble. I have nothing against Arteta and will back him 100% if he gets the job but I would much rather him audition his managerial skills elsewhere.

I am happy to be proven wrong and hope he is an instant success...but as said...it's a huge gamble because we are not in great shape right now so a lot of things need to change. Is Arteta really the man to implement these changes?!
    I would have agreed initially, but after a bit of thought I don't think Arteta would be a bad appointment. Here's why. Firstly, I don't think there exists a 'no risk' appointment. The nearest thing that exists to this would be a Guardiola or a Klopp at the present time - managers tested in the EPL who have shown their credentials (I am not including Mourinho here as...well just no). They are not available, and anyone else would be a risk and would not necessarily deliver what us fans crave - namely instant success. Second, I think that we have to accept that there is not going to be an instant transformation of our team in terms of winning things, like there was when AW was appointed. Our domestic, and European competitors are simply too well funded and established and it is going to take time to become competetive again. While I would hope that if he is appointed, Arteta is not a Moyes at Manure, I think we have to accept that we are going to enter a turbulent and rebuilding period, and in a strange way it may be better to have a manager who doesn't come with massive expectations - which I fear that someone like Allegri or Simeone would even if they were available. If an Arteta can pull off the basic changes that we require in terms of player complacency; basic tactics and new ideas (and I do feel that we have the core of a talented squad that is capable of responding to this) then even if he does not survive this transition an effectively 'interim' appointment may not be the worst thing in the world. If Arteta could pull it off and stay longer term then obviously that would be a good thing.

What I don't think we can do as a club is start to go down the route of continual turnover of managers who come with big reps but end up not succeeding at Rasenal. We don't realistically have the financial clout to do this; and for all their success based on money, I would rather we do not become a Citeh or a Chelsea - even if we could compete on their level. Arteta would be a risk, yes, but I think that we need a new footballing approach, and he should come with some fresh ideas (given his background under Guardiala), and energy - plus he has Arsenal DNA which I think is a good thing.

A left field and by no means ideal appointment but for me I would not throw my toys out of the pram if he came.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    I would have agreed initially, but after a bit of thought I don't think Arteta would be a bad appointment. Here's why. Firstly, I don't think there exists a 'no risk' appointment. The nearest thing that exists to this would be a Guardiola or a Klopp at the present time - managers tested in the EPL who have shown their credentials (I am not including Mourinho here as...well just no). They are not available, and anyone else would be a risk and would not necessarily deliver what us fans crave - namely instant success. Second, I think that we have to accept that there is not going to be an instant transformation of our team in terms of winning things, like there was when AW was appointed. Our domestic, and European competitors are simply too well funded and established and it is going to take time to become competetive again. While I would hope that if he is appointed, Arteta is not a Moyes at Manure, I think we have to accept that we are going to enter a turbulent and rebuilding period, and in a strange way it may be better to have a manager who doesn't come with massive expectations - which I fear that someone like Allegri or Simeone would even if they were available. If an Arteta can pull off the basic changes that we require in terms of player complacency; basic tactics and new ideas (and I do feel that we have the core of a talented squad that is capable of responding to this) then even if he does not survive this transition an effectively 'interim' appointment may not be the worst thing in the world. If Arteta could pull it off and stay longer term then obviously that would be a good thing.

What I don't think we can do as a club is start to go down the route of continual turnover of managers who come with big reps but end up not succeeding at Rasenal. We don't realistically have the financial clout to do this; and for all their success based on money, I would rather we do not become a Citeh or a Chelsea - even if we could compete on their level. Arteta would be a risk, yes, but I think that we need a new footballing approach, and he should come with some fresh ideas (given his background under Guardiala), and energy - plus he has Arsenal DNA which I think is a good thing.

A left field and by no means ideal appointment but for me I would not throw my toys out of the pram if he came.
    Hey IBK, good seeing you back mate. Yeah fair points here, can't argue against any of that. TBF, I won't be throwing my toys out of the pram if we appoint Arteta, I genuinely will back him. The positive to all this Arteta talk is that he comes with a lot of ringing endorsements from many well regarded managers so he must have something about him.

I just hope that he is able to implement the changes you stated and that he has the respect of the players, they are the two key things for me and I have doubts about both of them.

We shall see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Wenger has just backed him:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44150823

That's enough to convince me he shoudn't get the job
    ARTETA OUT FFS!!!!!!!!!
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing this appointment, if true says to me is that this 2nd class mentality really has become endemic in this club. Appointing someone with ZERO experience in management means the club are prepared to wait 2 maybe 3 years before we start competing for titles again. Anyone who thinks this is part of some well well researched esoteric thought process is basically putting the blinkers on. After a 10 year "no compete" environment at the club due to Wengers self indulgence and idiosyncrasies. The fans deserve better than to just wait and hope. We have 5 teams already ahead of us in progression and ambition and we are ready to take a punt on someone who puts out the cones for Guardiola. Not even Everton and West Ham would consider appointing Arteta.
    "WTF is going on at this stupid club"?!!!
    Last edited by Globalgunner; 17-05-2018 at 04:32 PM.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    The thing this appointment, if true says to me is that this 2nd class mentality really has become endemic in this club. Appointing someone with ZERO experience in management means the club are prepared to wait 2 maybe 3 years before we start competing for titles again. Anyone who thinks this is part of some well well researched esoteric thought process is basically putting the blinkers on. After a 10 year "no compete" environment at the club due to Wengers self indulgence and idiosyncrasies. The fans deserve better than to just wait and hope. We have 5 teams already ahead of us in progression and ambition and we are ready to take a punt on someone who puts out the cones for Guardiola. Not even Everton and West Ham would consider appointing Arteta.
    "WTF is going on at this stupid club"?!!!
    Seriously though, do you not grasp how much damage Wenger has done? I was settled in for the 2-3 years wait for a challenge regardless. We have no defence - I mean NONE. We have the weakest midfield in the top 6 by a country mile. And we have 2 decent strikers, probably thanks to somebody who went against Wenger's wishes.

We have void where an emperor used to be.

A damaged reputation.

No CL football.

We are viewed as an easy touch by everyone we play away from home, because we are.

We are boring.

Toothless.

We have a fanbase, half of which has accepted second best as a badge of honour.

Let's be realistic about the timescales required to reverse this shit.

It took Pep a year.

Klopp 2 years.

Why are we going to get it done in a summer?

The fanbase was split in two due to Wenger's selfishness. Arsenal became more of a war than a football club.

Now all the fans need to get back behind the team and at least give the guys who have made the change a chance, in my opinion.

It could go tits up, no doubt. But it hasn't done yet - we are still at the start. Let's start as we mean to go on, unified and determined.

In my opinion, because after the Wenger fiasco I'm not really 100% sure what it means to be a football fan any more.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now Sky are saying Henry will be contacted.

They have no fucking clue.

But it's a firm no to Henry from me - I don't really like the way he speaks about football on TV, doesn't strike me as being a particularly insightful or inspirational coach. I'd prefer my lasting memories of him to be the greatest player I've ever seen play.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Now Sky are saying Henry will be contacted.

They have no fucking clue.
    Who, Sky or the club?