User Tag List

Page 61 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Not a lot but then what have we heard about Arteta, at least Henry will have instant respect. That was my point though, if we're going to pick a player with no management experience would prefer it to be someone I like and who was a great, Arteta doesn't fit into either for me, wasn't a great and didn't like him much as a player, he typifies Wengers' weakest period of management.

Arteta would be the most disappointing appointment for me, nothing about him appeals, I don't much care what his friends say either, because they're bound to be complimentary, if he gets the job we'll see what happens but this appointment is potentially a disaster because the guy won't get long to prove he knows what he's doing IMO, if it's not happening after half a season people will probably say we were mad to take him on and we need to replace him (as happens at most clubs), unknowns like him don't get the same period of grace as the bigger names who have proved themselves.

Gazidis may indeed like him, but to be fair he's been here for a long time now and until recently hasn't done a huge amount of good so I'm not personally ready to trust him 100% with his decisions, especially given some of the things he's come out with over the years.
    Have you been reading anything else around Arteta?

Not to shit on Henry, but he was captain of Arsenal too and he wasn't a good captain at all. He came across as someone that was overbearing and couldn’t get his ideas across to the team. He’s was never cut out to be captain.

Arteta was captain at Everton, all the reports say he’s got a great tactical mind and thinks like a manager. That’s during his playing days and before he retired. Henry has already expressed how difficult it is to transmit ideas to players as a manager and he’s easing himself into the role.

You have to do some of your own research on this one, Zim. Look up some of the stories about Arteta. Feel free to disagree after that but you can’t be silly enough to vouch for someone like Henry who we know a lot less about and isn’t as focused on becoming a manager as Arteta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    If he does well, yes, if he fails miserably it could be hard for him.
    If this goes well it would be the making of him and that outweighs the prospect of failing and going back to being a number 2. A career in coaching/management can be twice as long as a playing career, he will get other opportunities but none as great as this.

You don't anywhere in life without taking risks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    If this goes well it would be the making of him and that outweighs the prospect of failing and going back to being a number 2. A career in coaching/management can be twice as long as a playing career, he will get other opportunities but none as great as this.

You don't anywhere in life without taking risks.
    We'll see in May 2019, if he is appointed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll see in May 2019, if he is appointed.
    If he flopped it would suck for us, sure. It's not going to ruin a 36 year old at the start of his career in coaching though. So that's why I don't see why he'd be mad to take the role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're looking for a lot more in a manager than how he performed as a player for the club. We really don't know too much about how individuals were perceived behind the scenes and what input they had. Merts hasn't shown up for 2 seasons as a player, but apparently he was important off the pitch. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. We don't know. Personalities are important too. I'm not so sure Henry would make a great manager on that basis. He's shown in the past he has very little patience when things aren't going right.

Conte is still my top choice. I just have a gut feeling about him. Jardim would be next, because he's shown the flexibility both attacking and defensive that will be required to put our rather wrecked squad back on track. But if we have to have a young, inexperienced manager I'd take Arteta over Henry and Vieira, because Arteta has been positioned best to pick up directly relevant experience as a coach in a winning environment. The other two were much better players, of course.

I also like the idea of Alonso as a number 2. He should have been an Arsenal man a long time ago but Wenger penny pinched. What a great pro though, another guy who has seen it all at the top level.

PnG is right. We are in a low risk, potentially high reward situation here. And the beauty, if it doesn't work out we aren't left worried about sacking some permanent fixture that built the stadium with his bare hands and was the first man on the moon. If it doesn't work, boot him and bring in somebody else. Where were we going under Wenger? Nowhere, faster and faster. Another season going nowhere is what we had in store anyway, but at least now there's the possibility of something different.

Let's give Arteta a go and see how it works out. I have a suspicion things are going to be better than expected. Not miraculous, not instant magic, but better than slowly fading into mid table mediocrity and certainly more entertaining for the fans.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wondered about Conte too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wondered about Conte too.
    Ivan et al will never take Conte - after Wenger they're looking for someone they can control, and after Conte's arguments with the Chelski heirarchy, that man is not Conte, whether any of us want him or not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    We're looking for a lot more in a manager than how he performed as a player for the club. We really don't know too much about how individuals were perceived behind the scenes and what input they had. Merts hasn't shown up for 2 seasons as a player, but apparently he was important off the pitch. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. We don't know. Personalities are important too. I'm not so sure Henry would make a great manager on that basis. He's shown in the past he has very little patience when things aren't going right.

Conte is still my top choice. I just have a gut feeling about him. Jardim would be next, because he's shown the flexibility both attacking and defensive that will be required to put our rather wrecked squad back on track. But if we have to have a young, inexperienced manager I'd take Arteta over Henry and Vieira, because Arteta has been positioned best to pick up directly relevant experience as a coach in a winning environment. The other two were much better players, of course.

I also like the idea of Alonso as a number 2. He should have been an Arsenal man a long time ago but Wenger penny pinched. What a great pro though, another guy who has seen it all at the top level.

PnG is right. We are in a low risk, potentially high reward situation here. And the beauty, if it doesn't work out we aren't left worried about sacking some permanent fixture that built the stadium with his bare hands and was the first man on the moon. If it doesn't work, boot him and bring in somebody else. Where were we going under Wenger? Nowhere, faster and faster. Another season going nowhere is what we had in store anyway, but at least now there's the possibility of something different.

Let's give Arteta a go and see how it works out. I have a suspicion things are going to be better than expected. Not miraculous, not instant magic, but better than slowly fading into mid table mediocrity and certainly more entertaining for the fans.
    I remember hearing really early on that Arteta and Merts were influential in the dressing room. This was within the first 6 months to year of them joining. We may have missed that on the pitch and results but who knows what the players were able to get away with during training and in the dressing room. It’s no coincidence that they’re gone on to coaching roles straight after retirement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    I remember hearing really early on that Arteta and Merts were influential in the dressing room. This was within the first 6 months to year of them joining. We may have missed that on the pitch and results but who knows what the players were able to get away with during training and in the dressing room. It’s no coincidence that they’re gone on to coaching roles straight after retirement.
    I don't get it to be honest, if they are influential in the dressing room why wouldn't it translate to the pitch, surely that's the whole point or they have in reality no influence at all, unless they were referring to boot cleaning or something.

As for Mertesacker, yes I remember him saying something after we'd lost to Bayern 5-1 in the 1st leg in the CL, he rallied the troops, we then lost the 2nd leg 5-1 as well. Wasn't impressed. Personally don't really want anyone from the "losers" era at Arsenal, all these guys did is bottle it and lose time and time again without any real fight or stomach for the fight, none of them were really winners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Ivan et al will never take Conte - after Wenger they're looking for someone they can control, and after Conte's arguments with the Chelski heirarchy, that man is not Conte, whether any of us want him or not
    Everyone falls out with the owner at Chelsea. I wouldn't hold it against Conte. What's the fallout over?