User Tag List

Page 65 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Guys it's this simple: Arteta has NEVER been the manager of ANY football club EVER

That means it's a big fat NO

I can't believe some people on here were casting doubt on Tuchel etc because somehow they hadn't done things well enough or proved this or that when they did win things

And we are on the verge of having a person who has NEVER managed any football club EVER

Can't you see there's a problem here?
    Wenger's role has been eliminated. Arsenal FC doesn't have a manager any more. We are seeking a coach. And Arteta has plenty of experience in that role as number 2 to Guardiola. I don't see a problem at all. The problem, Wenger, has gone. If Arteta is shit he'll be gone too, but it won't take a decade to chop him. The whole club is in transition now. We have zero idea how it's all going to pan out and have to trust the people in charge. Really, that's what's simple about this. If they fuck it up, then we legitimately jump all over them. But they haven't even appointed the new guy yet and, as far as I'm aware, they aren't talking. So everything in the media is well salted.

I wouldn't have picked Arteta, personally. But then again, I hardly know anything about him. I'm just chuffed to bits that Wenger has gone and in return for that I can put up with a lot for the time being. Provided we play watchable football. If we don't do that then I don't care who's in charge, I'll want them gone.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DarrenArsenal confirms on twitter it's Arteta.

It's done.

Regardless of what we feel let's all fucking get behind him and give him a chance. There's a good chance this could be a masterstroke and he's the next hot young thing in management and we've got him locked down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta seems dead cert. I’m not going to sit here and pretend I’m happy, but all I / we can do is support him and hope this top class management potential that is talked of him is realised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good article.

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...e-worth-taking

Mikel Arteta to Arsenal: Why it might be a gamble worth taking
    Last Updated: 18/05/18 1:07pm

Mikel Arteta is the leading candidate to succeed Arsene Wenger at Arsenal despite having no managerial experience. His appointment would represent a gamble, but a look into his past reveals he has always been destined for the dugout, writes Nick Wright.

Alan Stubbs was nearing the end of his first spell at Everton when Mikel Arteta arrived on loan from Real Sociedad. The 22-year-old had been brought in to add flair to David Moyes' grizzled squad, but despite being a young player new to English football, it soon became clear that he was also happy to stand up in the dressing room and speak his mind.

"Mikel always had an opinion about how the team was playing," Stubbs tells Sky Sports. "He wouldn't hesitate to come forward and say something to the group. He would talk about what the team wasn't doing or what the team needed to do better, whether that was keeping the ball or creating more in the final third.

"Some people would agree and some would disagree, but it was all constructive discussion, and even though he wasn't one of the oldest in the squad, he was never afraid to have his say. Mikel had a vision and an idea of what the team needed to do to win games or get back into games."

It was obvious to Stubbs - just as it had been to Pep Guardiola and Mauricio Pochettino, Arteta's team-mates at his previous clubs Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain - that the young Spanish midfielder was an intelligent individual with an advanced understanding of the game.

"He was very professional and focused," adds Stubbs. "It was clear that he had a good football brain. He was the type of player who wanted to get on the ball and dictate the way Everton played at the time. Looking back, I think that probably stood him in good stead for what he wanted to do next."

Mikel Arteta has spent two years as an assistant coach at Man City
    Mikel Arteta has spent two years as an assistant coach at Man City
    What came next was still a long way off at that point, but 13 years on, it appears to be drawing closer by the day. Two years after ending his playing career at Arsenal to take up a coaching position under his old mentor Guardiola at Manchester City, Arteta is in talks with Arsenal about a return to north London as Arsene Wenger's successor.

It is a divisive prospect among Arsenal supporters, many of whom believe the club's hierarchy should be targeting a manager in the Massimiliano Allegri or Luis Enrique bracket, and who can blame them? Allegri and Luis Enrique have years of elite managerial experience behind them. Arteta, by contrast, has none whatsoever.

But like Stubbs, who watched him mature at Everton, Guardiola, who took him to City, and Pochettino, who wanted him at Tottenham, Arsenal have seen something in him. Arteta captained the side during his time there, with his team-mates even said to have nicknamed him 'coach' as he turned his attention to the prospect of management more seriously.

"My team-mates are always going, 'What are you going to do Miki? You're going to be a manager, you should be a manager!'" he said in a revealing interview with the Arsenal Magazine in 2014.

"I know what the job means and I know how hard it is, especially when I look at the boss and see how many hours he puts in here. You need to sacrifice your family all over again, which I've done since I was 15. But I would love to manage a squad of players and staff - I've got it inside me, it's true, and I want to do it."

Arteta, still only 32 at the time, had even mapped out his approach. "My philosophy will be clear," he added. "I will have everyone 120 per cent committed, that's the first thing. If not, you don't play for me. When it's time to work it's time to work, and when it's time to have fun then I'm the first one to do it, but that commitment is vital.

"Then I want the football to be expressive, entertaining. I cannot have a concept of football where everything is based on the opposition. We have to dictate the game, we have to be the ones taking the initiative, and we have to entertain the people coming to watch us. I'm 100 per cent convinced of those things, and I think I could do it."

Those comments tally with the need for continuity mentioned by chief executive Ivan Gazidis when discussing Arsenal's next appointment last month, and it is little wonder that Wenger has already vouched for him. Arteta "has the qualities" for the job, the Frenchman said this week. "He was a leader, he has a good passion for the game and he knows what is important to the club."

Arteta grew up playing the Barcelona way and had the opportunity to follow those principles as a player at Arsenal and a coach at Guardiola's City, but crucially, he is also adaptable. Arteta's playing career had taken in four different countries by the time he was 22. As part of that, he experienced totally different playing styles at Everton and Rangers.

It is perhaps why, back in 2014, he emphasised the importance of flexibility. "I think you need to adapt," he said. "You can have an idea of a system, but you need to be able to transform it depending on the players you have - how much pace you have up front, how technical your team is, what types of risk you can take and whether your players are ready to take those risks.

"It's important to analyse your players because you can't always play the same way. There have to be different details and changes in how you approach things, and you have to look at how you can hurt whoever you are playing against. Is there something they don't like to do? If so, we're going to make them do plenty of it."

Those comments offer encouragement to the Arsenal supporters who tired of Wenger's apparent reluctance to entertain the idea of adapting his tactics, and Arteta now has the practical experience of implementing those methods under the most progressive manager there is.

Arteta is said to have relished working with Guardiola and the feeling is certainly mutual. The former Barcelona manager has described Arteta's contribution to their record-breaking Premier League success as "outstanding". "If he stays, I will be the happiest guy in the world," he said after City's 1-0 win over Southampton on the final day of the season.

Pep Guardiola details the impact Mikel Arteta has had at Manchester City
    He went into more detail during his appearance on Monday Night Football this week, praising Arteta's one-on-one coaching abilities and crediting him for Raheem Sterling and Leroy Sane's improvement.

"Mikel Arteta helped both of them," he said. "They work together after training sessions, doing some drills close to the box to practice the situations which happen in the game to make them comfortable, to make them believe more in what they are going to do. Because in the end, when they have the quality to dribble, they have to use it."

That level of coaching will be vital at Arsenal, where the failure to secure Champions League football for a second consecutive season is likely to impact transfer spending. It is part of the reason why Allegri and Luis Enrique appear to have slipped out of contention, and it might also be why Gazidis says Arsenal must be "brave" and "open-minded" with their next appointment.

It all points to Arteta. He may not have managerial experience behind him, but from holding court in the Everton dressing room to the hours spent with Guardiola on the training pitches at Manchester City, this is what he has been working towards. It is a gamble, but it might just be a gamble worth taking.
    It's stuff like this that has convinced me this could possibly work. I was totally against this a few weeks ago. New information changes things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta's playing career had taken in four different countries by the time he was 22.
    A very good thing.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Good article.

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...e-worth-taking

It's stuff like this that has convinced me this could possibly work. I was totally against this a few weeks ago. New information changes things.
    And if it doesn't work we end up where Wenger would have taken us anyway. But there's zero impediment to making a change. Everyone is so used to Wenger. But it's all different now, Wenger's legacy and Wenger's influence has gone and now there's nothing for a new manager to do except perform or he's easily replaced.

I think the manager/ coach position is actually less important than the ambition of the board. If scraping top 4 is our key aim then the manager is fucked before he starts anyway because too many of the fans have had enough of that. But if we're looking to compete and we show that on the pitch then whatever manager coming in will soon have plenty of support from the fans. We put up with Wenger for years before people started making noise. I'm sure we can give the new guy a year. Not too much to ask.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    And if it doesn't work we end up where Wenger would have taken us anyway. But there's zero impediment to making a change. Everyone is so used to Wenger. But it's all different now, Wenger's legacy and Wenger's influence has gone and now there's nothing for a new manager to do except perform or he's easily replaced.

I think the manager/ coach position is actually less important than the ambition of the board. If scraping top 4 is our key aim then the manager is fucked before he starts anyway because too many of the fans have had enough of that. But if we're looking to compete and we show that on the pitch then whatever manager coming in will soon have plenty of support from the fans. We put up with Wenger for years before people started making noise. I'm sure we can give the new guy a year. Not too much to ask.
    We've been left in bad shape by Wenger. It looks like we're unable to attract a top manager and that could be down to the lack of CL football. We've never been a club that could blow £200m on transfers each year but even if we had the money I don't think it's as easy as it used to be to just buy a whole new team. FFP, homegrown player quotas and that ruling on wages has made things more difficult. We're in a terrible position. If not for the appointment of Raul, Sven and the other backroom changes, I'd have zero faith in Arteta at all.

Partly why I've wanted someone with more experience at a top club is so they can help restructure the club and bring their ideas on what internal areas need fixing. But it looks like Gazidis has already started the process and we're in a much better position than before. We're no long in a position where one man has the monopoly on footballing knowledge. We have more people that will put football first and that's encouraging. If not for Ivan, Sven and Raul, I'm certain we'd have been looking at a situation where we'd have lost Sanchez and Ozil on free transfers with no other major signings in sight. We'd have been in a much worse situation.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    We've been left in bad shape by Wenger. It looks like we're unable to attract a top manager and that could be down to the lack of CL football. We've never been a club that could blow £200m on transfers each year but even if we had the money I don't think it's as easy as it used to be to just buy a whole new team. FFP, homegrown player quotas and that ruling on wages has made things more difficult. We're in a terrible position. If not for the appointment of Raul, Sven and the other backroom changes, I'd have zero faith in Arteta at all.

Partly why I've wanted someone with more experience at a top club is so they can help restructure the club and bring their ideas on what internal areas need fixing. But it looks like Gazidis has already started the process and we're in a much better position than before. We're no long in a position where one man has the monopoly on footballing knowledge. We have more people that will put football first and that's encouraging. If not for Ivan, Sven and Raul, I'm certain we'd have been looking at a situation where we'd have lost Sanchez and Ozil on free transfers with no other major signings in sight. We'd have been in a much worse situation.
    That’s just wrong. We are not ‘unable to attract a top manager’ at all.

We had top managers interested & interviewed, but according to reports, we weren’t willing to meet certain monetary demands.

Looking at the last 12 years, this is more likely than not

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger hasn't left us in bad shape at all and we're perfectly capable of attracting a top manager if we do the right things.
    Liverpool and Utd weren't in the CL when they attracted Klopp and Mourinho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Wenger hasn't left us in bad shape at all and we're perfectly capable of attracting a top manager if we do the right things.
    Liverpool and Utd weren't in the CL when they attracted Klopp and Mourinho.
    What are the right things we have to do?